1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO for sale?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Chappers, Apr 21, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Chappers

Chappers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a week struggling to connect my new TIVO and having Sky for the same week, I'm reaching the conclusion that I'd be better off spending £12 on a 2nd Sky sub than £10 on TIVO.
    Having been used to VCR'ing one channel whilst watching another, I now realise you can't do this with Sky (apart from the 5 terrestrial channel - but who wants to watch or record in anologue?!). So when I want to record anything on SKY, whether on TIVO or VCR, I have to watch it too or switch off, or watch a terrestrial channel! With a 2nd Sky sub I can watch one channel on Sky and record another. I know Sky+ allows you to do this, but it's £350 to buy.
    Anyone have any other suggestions?
    How much is a one week old Thomson TIVO worth on the 2nd hand market?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Can't you record a SKY program on TIVO and at the same time watch another SKY program streaming off the TIVO's hard drive that was recording earlier? I know it's not as versatile as having two independent SKY D recievers but then neither is the SKY+ hardware.

I would have thought after a week you would have built up a selection of programming on TIVO to keep you occupied, I think you just have to get used to the idea of "time shifting" your own viewing.

3. Chappers

Chappers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried this as after a week I've only just got all the connections right!
    What's wrong with Sky+ then?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Nothing much:)
    I just meant that that it doesn't allow two people to watch two different programs at the same time so isn't as versatile as two independent SKY D boxes with a mirror sub.

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, most things on $ky are repeated so TiVo will record the repeat.

when you set your season passes up the lower the number, the higher the prioirty.

So getting TiVo to record a higher priority progam will force TiVo to look in the schedule for a repeat of the lower priority program and record that one.

Its very rare that TiVo cant find a program I want in the schedules.

The added advantage of time-shifting your viewing also means you can skip thru the adverts. Not good news for the advertisers though :)

The amount of programs we watch now on TiVo compared to normal $ky live viwing is huge. Things like "stars in your eyes" we can watch in about 10 minutes after skipping through all the crud. Wish You Were Here et al can be watched in a fraction of the time. Who Wants to be a Millionaire - watch the £100 to £1000 on fast forward!

even 'er in doors likes it.

the only disadvantage with TiVo and Sky is we're notincing the Sky box crashing more frequently cos TiVo is recording more stuff and so we're seeing a higher incidence.