TIVO for £99

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by miketango75, Jun 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know very little about the TIVO thing...this morning I went to a local electrical chain to do a bit of research on a new VCR (my 11yr old model is on its last legs) and they have THOMSON TIVO for £99. I asked for a run down on its features andgot blank looks from all the staff.

Above the obvious question of 'is this a good deal ?' the one I really want an answer to is:- When I go out can I only record the digital channel that I leave my sky digibox is set at ?

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will change channels for you!

Which store have you seen it at today, I thought the offer at Power House was only for the Bank Holidays.

DaveP

3. Hex

Hex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought my TIVO from Powerhouse, was told the offer was on (at least in this brach) till Thursday.

Picked it up today!

now my only problem is I have to wait till the weeked till I can play with it :( as I aint home till then!

oh well!

yes you can only watch the same digital channel you are recording (unless you have the sky plus type setup, or two sky boxes!)

it has the ability to pause live TV so you wana quick cuppa etc just press pause off to getthe tea etc come back and you aint missed anything!

you can tell it to tape all of a program opr anything with a word in etc! so mine will be set up for southpark (program specific) and "boxing" for like type programs. This way I'll catch boxing and kick boxing!

you can tell it what programs you like and dislike and it starts to lear your watching habits then recording things which you may be interested in!

great peice of kit by all accounts and for £99 (appart from the subscription) beats any video recorder!

downsides: you will eventually fill the hard drive (and need to delete stored programs), you'll still need a video player to play normal vhs videos errr and the subscription!

otherwise highly rated by everyone I've ever spoke to!

hope this helps a bit

Hex

4. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you tell me what store had this offer today.

Cheers

Jingy

5. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read lots about it - sounds like a great "daddy's toy" (as my 2 year knows ALL my HC equipment....:))
    One question - do you have to subscribe or can it be used on it's own...?:confused:

6. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You have to subscribe as far as I know.

Just phoned Powerhouse in Leeds, the offer was while stocks last but they are out of stock and so is the warehouse. Ho hum.

Wonder if somewhere will price match? :D

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Just bought the last boxed one from Teesside Park branch at 5.30pm.

Can't get over it!

Better still got one of the latest 6023 versions.

Cheers for posting this deal.

8. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just got back from Powerhouse (Newmarket, Suffolk Branch) and now have a TIVO for £99. The staff really didn't have a clue what it was/did. Anyway they have three left now.

All I need to do now is finish decorating upstairs (eta - Saturday) then I'll have time to install a telephone cable and hopefully then I can start playing.

How do I know what version I have and what the differences are ?

From my initial look at the box it looks pretty good for £99.

Ian

9. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you look at the Tivo service number, it should read something like this: XXXX XXXX 6023 XXXX.

Where I have 6023, yours may be 6020 or 6021 or 6022. The very oldest are 601e or 601f.

The model no is always the same, ie PVR10. Its just that the older ones (6021, 6020, 601e, 601f) probably have a nicam fault which results in cracking and popping of the sound. Tivo, themselves will provide a modification for this free of charge or will swap your unit. But getting a swap isn't usually a good idea with Tivo, cos 9/10 they will supply a refurbished unit which may have seperate probs.

Just wait untill you've got it up and running and after two weeks you'll wonder how you coped without it.

It is, without doubt, the best invention since vcrs first became available. Its better than videoplus, nicam stereo, widescreen and long play recording put together.

My purchase was for a 2nd Tivo, after already taking the plunge in February with my first at £250 (even that was a bargain).

Have Fun!

10. Hex

Hex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah got mine from teeside retail park today as well :)

thats where me folks live (well hartlepool)

just got to wait till the weekend before I can use it!

mines a 6023 version as well :)

11. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  12. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks everyone for all your help,

I've just looked at the box and it looks like mine is a 6020 version. I hope I don't get problems with the nicam.

Having a box sitting there on the dining room table is very annoying....must get that decorating done.....you lot are a distraction!! LOL (oh and the footie aswell)

Ian

13. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gutted, the offer has ended!

Doh!

:mad:

14. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nearly there.....

I have just installed a phone ext. behind the TV. I'm hoping that I'll be doing the rest tonight. Unless there are any objections I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Ian

15. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    On a side note about the model numbers, there doesn't appear to be any noticeable or major differences between 6020...6024 except the nicam glitch, which apparently is only present on RF input only anyway (so if you use Sky exclusively, you don't even have to worry about it).

Also remember that the box automatically upgrades the software when required, so all the 'model' number boxes will operate in the same way.

16. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, the installation went very smoothly, however I didn't think they really meant 3 hours for the downlaods etc. Anyway after much waiting it's all sorted and I've telephoned TiVo (very very helpful bunch of people who actually know about the product) and registered. I've opted for the £10 per month for the time being.

The chap on the phone said that I may get a software update in the next 24-48 hrs, version 255 I think he said.

Last night I tried to record Cops on Bravo, I think it was on at 0330 hrs. It didn't record, needless to say it was operator error - I turned my Sky box off when I went to bed - doh! I think I'll leave the sky box on permanently from now on - is this ok ?

Anyway I've set it to record the England game today so fingers crossed....

Bye for now

Ian

P.S. Those of you more interested in the decorating side of this story will be pleased to know that I've just finished the gloss. Once thats dry I'm all done! Now where's that Black Hawk Down DVD ??

17. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ian,have you not connected the `front blaster` in front of your digibox,this should activate your digibox out of standby and change to the correct channel? let us know if you need any help

18. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I opted to use the IR blaster built into the TIVO. It works very well and seems to change channels at the 'right' speed.

I set TiVo to record Jeremy Clarkson last night as I was working. Watched it this morning and the last few minutes were missing (sigh). Anyway, also waiting for me was a message from TiVo sayinn I had received a s/w update 2.5.5 I think. From reading the message it seems I can add a few minutes to each recording. I'm just about to look at the TiVo web page for some info about the update.

As a result of being at work last night Mrs Gray now knows more about it than i do. She's even set up season passes for all her favs (cheeky or what ?). Whats more she's even read the manual!!!

Regards

Ian

19. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Only a woman would read the manual :D the abilty to add the extra minutes is a bonus,especialy these days as ITV seem to overrun on pretty much every day,the BBC also but not to the same degree,and being able to add it in multiples of 5 min`s to individual shows is excellent,you tend to find out which run over on a constant basis and add accordingly,nice!

20. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    visited powerhouse today in sunny Dunfermline and they said they would be getting in more units next week, they then accepted my 99 quid and asked me to call them on Wednesday afternoon... here's hoping..
    :cool:

21. Hex

Hex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    since fireing mine up last night (which took a while!!)

I've started to wonder how I lived without one!!

hey I know I'll be spending less time online and more on the couch!!

Tivo - my second love!
    (I'd tell you my first but I would have to kill you all!:p )

Hex

22. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've now had my TiVo for a little over a week now. This is some cool piece af equipment. Infact it's bloody brilliant. It has completely transformed my TV viewing, no more crap tele just exactly what I want to watch and when..can't recommend it enough. To think I nearly bought another VHS machine !!

It's so good it got me thinking, does TiVo have enough subscribers to keep going - please tell me it's not just a flash in the pan (so to speak).

Ian

23. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ian, I bet you wondered how you've managed without it. I know I did.

24. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Simon,

Your dead right, It's that good that I can't beleive that I actually hadn't thought about it before and only bought one by accident (Went into powerhouse to buy a bread maker and came out with a TiVo !!). I can't help thinking that they'd sell loads more if people knew how good it was ( and the monthly sub was cheaper).

On a side note, on one occasion my recording of cops at 0330 am on Bravo hasn't been successful. On playback; as the recording starts I get a few seconds of the sky channel the box has been left on. The TiVo then changes channels correctly to Bravo however the picture doesn't come up, I get the right sound but nothing else. Then after a several minutes the recording stops. This happened last night, when I came down in the morining the Sky box has turned itself off. When I turned it on, the channel the digibox was on was a Sky demo channel, 998 I think....Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences ??

Ian

25. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,253
    my sky box, would do that sometimes, you'd change channel, and it would flick to the sky demo channel.

Solution was, to get rid of that cr@p PACE box, and get a panasonic one.

26. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah I think you're probably right, my dad has a sony digibox about a year old and I've got an original Pace one. The Sony one is so much faster and more reliable than mine.

How would I go about changing it ? Is is as simple as purchasing one from e-bay and inserting my viewing card ?

Ian

27. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,253
    Well, the card is registered against the box, so you would have to tell sky, you've changed the box.

I got mine thru sky, as it was less than 12 months old, and it kept crashing, i complained every week for about 2 months, and to cut a long story short, they agreed to swap the PACE for the Panasonic. and its just so much quicker in the menus, doesn't crash, and works properly.