tivo - does it work without subscription?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by caw001, Jul 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. caw001

caw001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've been offered a thompson tivo box. Do I need a subscription or anything or can I just plug it in and go? Thanks.

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You can still use it as a manual recorder, setting times on channels and stuff, but you'll need to connect to the service at first anyway to customise the thing to the channels you have etc, so look at paying for one months subscription at least anyway.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    the beauty of the tivo is that it learns your viewing habits and begins to record things you may like on the premise you've previously watched something similar in the past.

However it can only do that if you subscribed to the epg.

4. caw001

caw001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx guys, any idea what a thompson scenium box is worth ?

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They've been going for some rediculous prices on eBay lately. (since they aren't producing them anymore)

If you're looking to get rid of it, I'm sure someone on eBay or the TiVo forums will take it off your hands for a decent amount. A lot of TiVo owners are anxious to pick up second (and third) units because they're just that good.

If I were you, I'd go for the monthly sub, see what it's like, then cancel and sell it off if it doesn't suit you. Course, most people are hooked as soon as they start using it, so be warned. :)

(TiVo community forums)

6. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

A small local tv shop has a brand new TiVo for £99 is it worth buying at that price.

Klippie.

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'd snatch his hand off at that price.

Used Tivo's are rarer than hen's teeth, never mind Brand New ones.

8. caw001

caw001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok I've got it installed and it won't let me watch/record live tv so I guess I'll need to subscribe for a month then ?

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New TiVos come with a limited (2 week?) subscription built in, so that you can see just what you're getting for your money.

Used TiVos won't necessarily have that, though.

But even without a sub, you should still be able to setup manual recordings. That will at least give you an idea of TiVo's recording quality. (if not, there may be something wrong with the box)

You may want to check out the OS version on the box. (manual recordings are only available on certain versions)

Provided the box works, it might be worth signing up for a month's subscription just to have TiVo upgrade to the latest version, and to see what you're missing. But be warned, it'll be mighty difficult to cancel once you see what it can do. :)