1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo connections

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by orange, Apr 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to ask such a simple question but I need to know how the Tivo actually connects into a system.

From the Tivo web site it appears you connect you Video, Sat to the Tivo which then connects to the TV.

Which is fine if that is correct. But I need a system that is girlfriend friendly. How do you watch the TV, if I am using the TV tuner how does the signal get to the Tivo? How does the Tvio know what I am watching?

2. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As you say, everything goes to through Tivo, including TV arial if you wish, with a scart then going to the TV from Tivo

Pressing 'Live TV' on the handset does exactly that or you choose to watch what you have already recorded.

My wife is a bit anti gadget but even she agrees that once you have had Tivo you cannot go back - it's great.

3. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, but which tuner do we use on a day-to-day basis. Is it the one inside the Tivo?

Therefore do you only use the Tivo remote control and set your TV to the AV setting.

If so does the Tivo autoswitch to the av socket when in 'Live tv' mode?

Sorry to sound thick, but you know how impossible it is to get answers you can trust from shop assistants, hence I am here asking.

4. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You use the Tivo for day to day. I only use my Sky remote for teletext and switching off sky active dots, and yes TV is always set to AV.

It can be a good laugh using the high street chains to buy Tivo. You will get a different story in each. For good solid advise go to

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37326

good luck

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can your TV stay on an AV channel once you've switched it into standby.

My can't, it switches back to the TV tuner next time you power up :-(

I try and make sure that I also put the TiVo into standby as well as the TV (using the standby button on the TiVo will do both).

This way, I turn on the TV, wait for a piccie to appear and then hit LiveTV or TiVo button for the TiVo to start up. The scart cable senses the power up and switches to AV. Bit of a faf.

Alternativly I can just hit AV on the telly. 1/2 dozen of one siz of the other.

I've had to de-select channels 101-105 on $ky to stop TiVo recording terrestrial channels using the $ky decoder. This allows me then to watch terrerstrial through TiVo (with the added benefit of an overlayed TV Guide) while still being able to record "true" satellite.
    It will also allow TiVo to record terrestrial while we watch (or VCR record) a "true" satellite program

6. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, great help.