1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Boxes

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Zaichik, Mar 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I have been trying to decide whether to get Sky+ or TiVo (and an ordinary Sky Digibox) in my new house, and have pretty much decided to get TiVo, as the improved functionality is more important to me than having a dual tuner or 5.1 support. But why are the TiVo boxes so big and ugly in comparison to the Sky+ ones? I have to say that the Sky+'s (comparatively) good looks are proving a draw.

Are there any plans to release more aesthetically pleasing TiVo boxes?

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sony have licenced the TiVo software so I suppose they will launch a box sometime but nothing has been announced yet.

3. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TiVo have launched a smaller box in the US, called the TiVo Series 2 but there are as yet no plans to launch this in the UK. Currently the Thomson box is all there is over here. Its large size can be accounted for by the failrly spacious interior, the motherboard takes up 50% of the width and the remaining room on the right has space for two hard drives.

Personally, I quite like the Thomson - it fits in nicely with my silver Philips TV and Sony DVD player, though it is larger than it could otherwise have been.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Thomson is beautiful. Sadly, it has shown me how empty my life was before TiVo :( . Happily, I now have my life back from the TV listings :)