1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo and RGB ??

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by gizlaroc, Jun 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I got Tivo last night and am having problems getting RGB.

when i select AUX on the remote my tv switches to RGB but if i playback anything from Tivo it switches back to composite.

as soon as i press the tivo button to go into the menu it switches back to composite, is this correct???

i have chosen RGB in all the settings, the cables are ok , because i get RGB from sky when i choose AUX.

if i press the thumbs up button it switches back to composite too.

is it meant to do this ???

2. nickf

nickf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to restart TiVo after setting it to RGB. The restart is somewhere in the Setup menu.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    i'll give it a try

thanks

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Also, scart control must be set to 'on'.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    it upgraded to 2.5.5 today and it has sorted the RGB problem.

But the pic quality is awful, ok when i choose aux , but the whites bloom and there is loads of noise you can clearly see where there is large areas of a solid colour.

I had a look on tivo forums and this seems to be an accepted problem, what does everyone here think of the quality ??

dont know if i am going to keep it plugged in, have bought some decent scarts and still the same.

6. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I haven't noticed any loss of picture quality or white bloom feeding the digibox through the TIVO. What I did initially notice was that there was a change in colour tone on Sky when it was routed through. Skin tones in particular look a bit more flushed. I have seen this mentioned on the Tivo community forums as a problem.

I've now got used to it.

EffTee

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also think the RGB quality is a bit suspect. I get a lot of colour flushing and the image seems to fluctuate in brightness.

The TiVo community forum has many threads about this and I'm not convinced that getting a replacement TiVo will help. My Toshiba TV is less than a year old, but maybe different TVs are better at RGB?

Composite still gives a good picture, so I will have to put up or change the unit I guess.

Cheers,
    JonathanN

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    i think it depends how fussy you are.

as 80% of my viewing is TV I can't live with the quality through the Tivo.

Plus I dont like the way it changes channel while your watching a programme to record another side.

Mine is going back today and I'm going to give MrMurdoch some more of my hard earned :(

now ive had TIVO i want something so it will have to be sky+.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear of your frustrations. As you say if you watch a lot of TV (and pay £500 for the TiVo if you get the lifetime sub) then you expect good quality.

I must admit that I have been tempted by Sky+ but getting a dish put on my house is a problem due to planning issues. The only other issue I also had was the heavy cost of Sky+ compared to the good deal I get with NTL.

Good luck with Sky!

Cheers,
    JonathanN

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I only paid £99 for tivo and i still cant live with it.

plus if i get the sky+ I can put my old digibox in my cinema room.

but it starts to get expensive £37 subscription , £10 or £12 (whatever it is) for sky+ features, £12+ for second card.

£60 month is alot of money just to keep up with sport. but if it keeps me out of the pub for two nights i've made that back ;)

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    - Keeping out of the pub.

Good system. I use this on a regular basis to convince my wife that I need to spend further daft amounts of money on gadgets and home cinema kit.

If you take this one further you start to compare the price of pretty much anything against a heavy night out on the beer in London. Then that next AV amp/remote/stupidly expensive set of cables seems like a bargain!

Cheers,
    JonathanN

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    and i thought i was the only one who uses this excuse :)

yeah right

13. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gizlaroc

I have to agree the quality is poor, I only use the internal tuner as do not have sky, (dish install problems and all that) but compared to my Toshiba 32ZP18Q there is a major difference.

The picture is brighter with glaring and fluctuations, the sound is not very open or detailed. Compared to the Toshiba it's like going form mono to stereo, I have check the Tivo is in stereo.

That aside I love the idea and it work well so I am just going to have to live with it as it ie much more convenient than the video'ing I use to do so I could get to see the programs I want.

I would be interested to know what the quality is like from a Sky source is it better?

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    orange,

I have exactly the same model of Toshiba TV and see the same quality issues.

I agree that it is worth keeping the TiVo for the convenience but I wonder if we are seeing problems with the way our TV handles RGB?

JonathanN

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ignore my last post.

Just realised that if you are using the internal tuner on the Toshiba then you won't be getting an RGB input to the TiVo.

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    i didnt try it with anything other than sky so i cant really compare.
    sorry.