TIVO and NTL Digital?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Darren_L, Jan 31, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    These threads praising TIVO got me thinking about one.

Couple of questions:-

Is TIVO 100% compatible with NTL Digital (Pace 2000 box)?

Any problems I need to know about (I think you need some sort of adaptor to control the Pace box)?

Do you archive your footage to VHS or is there some sort of computer terminal to archive to CDR or DVDR ?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q. Is TIVO 100% compatible with NTL Digital (Pace 2000 box)? A. yes and I believe you will need the adapter (£30 from tivo)

Q. Any problems I need to know about (I think you need some sort of adaptor to control the Pace box)?

A. No problems - I use it with a pace 4000 box I get about 99% channel changes using the IR wand. But other users get 100%

Go to www.tivocommunity.com and the UK section for all the info you could ever need, if you can't find it just ask they are great bunch of people.

Oh and all you have read about TIVO being good well its not it far better and yes after only a few days you will wonder how you managed without it. and if you think its good now, the new stuff planned for the new software sounds out of this world!!!

PS. Sorry not sure about the cdr/dvdr stuff but I'm sure someone in the tivo forum will be able to help!

PSS. Tv adviser did a dvd demo disc back in december if you need to get an visual idea of how it works.

3. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the link, I've asked there in the thread for the Pace 2000 NTL box.

4. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I took the plunge and bought a TIVO! It appears that it will work with NTL digital.

It's currently downloaing its setup info. Hope it lives up to all the praise it gets on here :)

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren,

Congrats on your purchase, hope you both will be very happy.

Please let use know what you think and how you are getting on?

Gary

6. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So far so good!

I left it installing last night - takes about 3 hours to install its downloaded software and programme info. I was impressed that it knew that NTL (Cable & Wireless) was a provider for my postcode and that the channel IDs etc were all correct.

I rang TIVO and ordered the adaptor for my Pace 2000 box (same adaptor also works for the Pace 1000 box). Costs £30 including postage. I won't be able to fully utilise the TIVO properly until the adaptor arrives to enable it change channels on the Pace box (it uses non-standard IR).

I was messing about with it tonight and I am so impressed :D

The Live TV feature is amazing - you can pause, rewind, replay Live TV as though it was a video.

The recommendations in the Channel Highlights and Inside TIVO are another superb feature. With so many digital channels I always have a hard time keeping up with what is on when.

The onscreen guide is MUCH better than the slow NTL one - much more like the Sky Digital setup. (Don't know why NTL can't make their onscreen guide better). Anyway, you can turn the NTL guide off on the Cable box so it doesn't flash up over the TIVO onscreen guide.

I know it's early days, but the TIVO has already improved my digital TV service by at least 100%.

Can't wait for the adaptor to arrive so that I can utilise it fully.

Only regret so far is that I didn't get a TIVO sooner :D

7. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The cable adaptor has arrived! It works with my NTL digital Pace 2000 box :D

I can now set it to record all my favourites. The programme guide is far superior to the basic one offered by NTL - I've switched that off now as I don't need it.

8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What exactly is the adaptor Darren? How does it work? Does it work?

How's the Tivo keeping you?

9. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Pointon!

The adaptor is only needed for the Pace 1000 & 2000 model digital cable boxes. These are supplied by NTL in some of their areas (incl ex Cable and Wirless areas). These boxes use a different type of IR signal (based on what computers use) so they are not compatible with the standard TIVO channel changing IR emitter signal (nor with the Pronto remote).

TIVO have developed an adaptor. It's a small box that you plug into the back of the TIVO where the standard TIVO IR emitters plug in. You then plug the TIVO emitters into the adaptor, and place them over the top of your set top box as normal (you need to plug the adaptor into the mains).

The adaptor takes the standard TIVO IR signal and turns it into a format that the Pace boxes understand.

It works perfectly on my Pace 2000 box. You must make sure that the IR emitters are in the correct place (the middle of the window where the channel number is displayed). The adaptor comes with its own power adaptor and some very good instructions.

You then change channels using the TIVO remote. The Cable box functions only as a tuner then. There's about a 1 sec delay from when you enter the channel change on the TIVO remote to when the cable box changes - nothing major. The TIVO sends the channel number rather than a channel up or down signal (so it enters 1-4-4 for E4 etc)

The adaptor is £30, ordered from TIVO.

The TIVO works like a dream. The onscreen guide is far superior to the one that NTL uses (I've switched off the NTL guide from appearing when it changes channels).

The live TV feature is amazing. If you need to answer the phone etc just hit pause, and then come back later (up to 30 mins). Want to rewind a bit you can do (only to the point where it started recording when you changed channel).

So far it's learnt a few of my favourites. Today it's recorded some of the shows on Paramount Comedy - Frasier etc that I like.

I always used to miss stuff that I wanted to watch. I always forget to set the video, or forget to change the cable box to the correct channel. The TIVO does it all for me.

It doesn't have the PDC feature that some VCRs have, but I think that the new software version will have this (The TIVO downloads its info/software automatically using a freephone number at about 1am).

My only regret with the TIVO so far is that I didn't get one sooner :D

10. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh I know all about the Pace remotes... so this sounds cool... I should be able to finally use my uni remote to change channels when I get a Tivo (damn Pace and their stupid high frequency IR signals!).

Will order the adaptor - is it called a Dongle? - soon, before I get the Tivo, so I have it ready.

Looking at getting myself one around the beginning of next month, saving some of my tax break towards it. Need to take care of a few things first.

Can't wait. Will be great to watch no TV at all during the week, do other things and not worry about setting the video. Then watch it on a lazy Sunday... brilliant.

11. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The number for TIVO is 08702 41 8486. Takes a couple of days to arrive.

Got to save up for a Pronto now :)