TIVO and Irish NTL cable

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by mjn, Oct 29, 2001.

Tags:
  1. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    I was looking to buy a TIVO, but does it accept both VHF and UHF signals??

As in the UK, they broadcast in UHF only, but in Ireland, normal broadcasts are in UHF, and ntl cable is done through VHF!!

So if i try and use my english TV and video over here, i get the picture but no sound!!

At the moment i'm using an irish video, and then just sending the video and stereo sound to my amp, and thats what i'd do with my TIVO, if i bought one.

Only other choice is to get SKY digital installed, but its quite difficult in rented properties!!

2. EddyC

EddyC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TIVO isn't supported in the south of Ireland at all, but you
    can bring them in from the UK. I bought one in mid-October.
    You should be aware of the following things:

- The tuner is UHF only, so it can't tune NTL cable channels
    - You can only use it for pausing live TV if you don't subscribe to the TIVO service (#10/month)
    - Tivo will only accept a subscription if you provide a UK address (and it makes life a lot simpler if you don't mention that you're in the republic at all)
    - NTL Digital in northern Ireland has a package that includes RTE1 and Network2, so if you sign up as a NI subscriber (instead of mainland UK), those channels are included in the listings on your Tivo
    - The regular daily call to update program listings can be made via the Irish UUNet number, which is 431 1000. This is a lot cheaper than having your Tivo dial the UK!
    - You can easily feed your VCR into the Tivo. However, the Tivo won't be able to change the channels automatically to record things so the functionality will be somewhat limited.

If you have Sky Digital, then most of these concerns go away (except for the UK address requirement when you subscribe). Tivo can fully control the Sky Digibox, and accept an RGB input from it so the quality is very good. It has access to the Sky channel listing, can change channels as needed, and should generally do what you expect.

I don't have Sky Digital myself, and I'm still working on a way to get the Tivo changing the channels on my VCR. I've been somewhat time limited of late, but I'm confident I'll get there eventually. In the meantime, I just change the channels occasionally on my VCR and let the Tivo record whatever happens to be on. Not as good as the full deal, but I still end up with quite an interesting mix of programs.

Eddy