1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo and Freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by holins, Nov 5, 2004.

1. holins

holins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been done before, but couldn't find anything on the AV forums,

Having become cheesed off with the cost of Sky, I would like to link my Tivo into a freeview box, preferably by scart.

Searching the web I can only gather the following nuggets,

the tivo scart can only be used with Sky, unless you can remap the channel numbers on your freeview box, are there any boxes out that can do this?

Tivo will only normally work with a freeview box through RF, how does it change channels as freeview seems to have differrent numbers for different areas?

I would also like to use top-up tv, are there any boxes with a slot and mappable channels.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

paul

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Welcome to AV Forums ! :thumbsup:

You can definitely use Tivo connected by scart.
    Tivo will set itself up to match your local Freeview channels.
    Tivo will change your Freeview by an infra-red dongle or it's front IR blaster.
    Thomson make a Top Up TV compatible box that works with Tivo, or you can use an old ON DIGITAL / ITV DIGITAL box.

If you have more questions ask away or try the Tivo Community Forums. :cool:

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    TiVo can work with any STB that outputs either basic composite or the better quality RGB video signals via scart. That includes Sky, cable & Freeview!
    If changing from Sky to Freeview with your TiVo you just need to rerun the guided setup in the TiVo menu and tell it you are useing Frreview and the make & model of the STB. TiVo will then know what channels you can receive and what IR commands it needs to send to control the STB either via the ir wands or the ir blaster on the front of the box.
    The RF bit you mention is to do with the fact that TiVo can record from 2 different STB's, one via scart and the other via RF. This again is all set from the setup menu of your TiVo.
    If you get a STB that has the cam slot for a TUTV card then all you need to do is go into the setup of TiVo and in the 'channels I receive' section select the TUTV channels so TiVo knows you have them and will then record from those channels.

Mark.

4. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently use Sky as the input to my Tivo but will switch to Freeview at some point.
    I use an "RF2 direct channel switcher" instead of a wand or front blaster - anyone know if you can use this with any Freeview box, or is it (as I suspect) something I can only do with a Sky box?

Simon

5. holins

holins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for your help, worked a treat..

paul

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Sorry, AFAIK these RF2 links are for Sky only and I'm not aware of any other products that would work with a Freeview STB. But no worries, the ir wands do work very well as long as you put them in the correct position. I can't remember the last time my STB failed to change channel correctly.

Mark.