tivo and freeview boxes

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by thevoiceofalan, Dec 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. thevoiceofalan

thevoiceofalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does any one know if the Tivo and freeview boxes work together, are there any issues?

I have neither just now, but was tempted by the Pace HD unit until I read the posts regarding it and think I may go the ebay seller for a Tivo. I am also after a freeview box will this combination work okay.

First post as well so hello everyone.

2. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i asked this yday, you can search or i will tell you the answer

a few people do it, but the freeview box will cost you £100, and the tivo with a lifetime sub will cost around £500, in total its £600, quite alot considering the technolgy is moving so fast,

i would recomend you get a pace twin for £198 from argos this week, and make that last you a couple of years,

Then go for the dvd recording idea, thats what im doing,

But in answer to your question it does work :)

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a TiVo with a freeview box that works fine. The TiVo uses its front IR blaster to change the Freeview channels.

I did look into all the options, but eventually went for the TiVo.

For a better understanding of why people go for TiVo look here :- http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=96753&referrerid=15112

Its according to what you are after. If you just want the same function as a video recorder, but without the tapes & better quality then go for the Pace, or DVD recorder. However the whole point of a TiVo is the way it changes you recording & watching TV.

For example this Christmas I haven't touched the TV or Tivo for days, yet its still recorded "The Office, Top Gear, 5th Gear, Only Fools & Horses, Laurel & Hardy", due to the TiVo knowing my preferences & automatically recording the shows :)

Another advantage of the TiVo is they keep their price. So you could buy a "lifetime sub" vsn on EBAy for approc £420-£450 & still get your money back 6-12 months down the line.

Until an equivalent offering comes on the market (SKY+ is a basic vsn ) the prices should stay stable.

Also you can upgrade the hard disk for extra capacity. You can get a 120GB drive for approx £80 these days which will give you 40hrs best quality, or go for 240GB for near 80hrs !!!.

Good luck with your choice.

PS. You can get a freeview box for as little as £50 at Currys now, with the more decent ones around £70

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've got to agree with DJW 666. TiVo does work very well with Freeview. I've been runnig my TiVo with a Philips OnDigital box since TiVo/OnD launched and have always been very please with the results.
    As stated a Pace Twin would be much cheaper, but you get what you pay for. The Twin is just a dumb digital recorder in comparison to a TiVo.
    As said, you just teach TiVo what you like either by just setting recordings or marking programmes with thumbs up or down and then the TiVo will just look at what you've done and set its recording to for you without you having to set it manually. If a prog clashes with something else then TiVo will attempt to record it at another showing, even if on another channel. TiVo does so much more than even Sky+ & is capable of so much more than just pausing or rewinding live TV.

Mark.

5. thevoiceofalan

thevoiceofalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow... thanks for the replys

Still undecided only the price of the Tivo is offputting for the lifetime sub.

mmm... tempted by the Pace at argos. Damn indecision :confused:

really looking for a video replacement to be honest as my videos remote broke and awai SEA want loads of money for a new one and it didnt work with the 4 in 1 jobs.

The DVD recorders definately something that I am going to be upgrading to in the future.

Think I may go for the PACE

Ok guys thanks again

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    If the cost of the lifetime sub is putting you off a TiVo then why not buy one for around £200 (half the price I paid when they were first released :rolleyes: ) and then just pay the £10 per month sub and see if you like it (I bet you do :D ). If not, then as already stated you can sell it for (about) the same as you paid for it and will only have lost the sub money.

Mark.

7. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....or even stop the £10 monthly sub & use it as a dumb recorder :)

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
    You don't want to do that!
    If all you want is a dumb recorder then get the Pace Twin. It breaks my heart to think that people buy the best PVR and don't get to see what it can really do :suicide:

Try it, you WILL love it :smashin:

Mark.

9. thevoiceofalan

thevoiceofalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok ta MarkE19 thats cleared things up a bit more.... going to buy my freeview box soon thinking of the sagem from Sainsburys. £10 a month sounds fine...mmm get the feeling the credit card is going to take a battering again soon.

Do DVD writers work with the Tivo?

Sorry for being a pain with all the questions.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    TiVo has a dedicated output for connecting to a VCR, but this will only output a composite (Yuk!) signal for connecting to a DVD recorder.
    The TV scart output sends an RGB signal to the TV, so this would be the way to connect any recorder that accepts RGB.

That's OK, just don't do it again :devil: :D after all everybody else here knows everything - Don't they? :rotfl:

Mark.

11. thevoiceofalan

thevoiceofalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im not sure weather to outlay all this cash on a tivo, then something better, cheaper and smaller comes alot, thus making my tivo worthless,

i can see how good it is, but i might just keep sky plus going for a few more months,

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Don't hold your breath on the TiVo replacement!!!

We live in hope of a new TiVo box, but we have seen the TiVo series 2 and now the Pioneer DVD-R/TiVo in the USA, but still we are stuck with buying second hand series 1 boxes :mad:

But at least we do have TiVo, with a dedicated group of people that have seen the light and are doing their best to spread the word.

Mark.

ps, wash your mouth out with soap! How could TiVo ever be worthless :nono:

14. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  15. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you watch a program that tivo has recorderd, and at the same time let it record another program?

And how easy is it to copy all my dvd's onto the tivo?, so i can watch them without changing discs

cheers

cpp

16. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My pioneer dbr-tf100 freeview box inst there! , and it says it can only control sky VIA SCART, so does my FV box have to be connected the rf input?

17. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes, or even start to watch a programme that has already started to record but not yet finished.

Yes, just plug the DVD player into the AUX input. Play the DVD & press record on TiVo. You wont however be able to name the recordings, they will have the name of the prog that TiVo believes your Freeview box is receiving at the time (from its EPG).
    And I thought I was a lazy git!!! :laugh:

Gary's list is almost certainly out of date as he does have a day job and is unable to spend all his time updateing his web sites. Boxes are being released at a fast rate, but TiVo normally add them within a few days.
    If connecting both Sky & Freeview then yes, FV does need to be connected via RF.

Mark.

18. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if you only have FV, then you can plug that into the SCART on the TiVo and use RGB :)

And TiVo can still record from its internal Analog tuner as well - so you can set it up to record certain channels from that, and the rest from the FV/Sky STB... if you want.

That way, your TiVo could be recording from BBC1 via internal tuner while you're watching something "live" on FV - although, once you get used to your TiVo, you'll probably forget what "live" TV is anyway ;)

19. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I just have to correct that!

A TiVo without sub can be had for £150-250 on eBay, or from TiVoland.

A lifetime sub is £199 - or you can start off with a monthly sub for £10p/m and "upgrade" to lifetime when you have some spare cash.

A decent TiVo with lifetime sub will currently sell on eBay for £350 to £450 - ie. the price of an unsubbed TiVo + £199. So, even if you get an unsubbed TiVo and buy a Lifetime sub, if (unlikely) you change your mind after a few months, then you stand a good chance of getting all your money back.... you won't get that with a Sky+ or a Pace Twin ;)

Oh, and you only need a "basic" freeview box for use with TiVo (in fact, the simpler the better) - so that shouldn't set you back more than £60.

20. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the 1st point , YES. Never tried the 2nd.

Also I have found it very useful that you can pause any number of recordings & still return to the same point each time....even days later :)

21. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Well yes, & no!
    TiVo will always try and record from the "best" quality version of any channel available. Therefore if you have Sky (RGB), FV (RF) and the internal tuners and all channels selected for all inputs in 'Channels I Receive' then, for example, BBC1 will ALWAYS be recorded from Sky.
    So to record analogue BBC1 (& why would you want to?) you would have to have BBC1 selected for the internal tuner only!

Mark.

22. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's why I said "certain channels", and "if you want" ;)

It's so long since I watched any "Live" TV (2 TiVos, 1 for Sky & 1 for FV) that the discussion above is entirely theoretical for me now :D:D

23. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    don't forget the Tivo can be hacked, so you can extract high quality video clips to your PC, via a network link.

24. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .... allegedly ;) :D

25. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    yeah....rumour has it.....

26. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    not that anybody here does or would do that :nono: :devil:

27. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    of course not.....what's a network? what's hacking?

28. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although doesn't it take hrs to xfer data ? A friend found it took 24hrs to xfer 30 mins worth !! Unless there is some new S/W out there to speed it up.

Re best prices for TiVos keep an eye on www.loot.com .....some fool just sold one for £80 !!......probably thought he only lost £19 from the original £99 bargain in Dixons years back ;)