1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo and broadband internet

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Torque, May 3, 2002.

1. Torque

Torque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am keen to get a Tivo but not sure how it would fit into my NTL cable TV and broadband internet setup. Ideally I'd like the Tivo to use the cable internet connection to download its program updates. All the messages I see talk about dialing out - does it have to use the phone line? Has anyone else done this? Also, are there any potential issues on the TV side of things? My current setup has my computers networked using a hub behind a router that talks to the Pace box.

Another question, if I may: I see a lot of messages implying that you can avoid watching ads with Tivo. How does this actually work? Is Tivo clever enough to remove the ads from inside programs while its recording, or is it just that you can fast forward through the ads as you do with video?

Cheers, and thanks for all the good advice I see here. I'm looking to replace my entire kit (18 yr old TV etc) and this forum is magnificent. Gives me complete decision paralysis, but at least I feel I'm dithering with purpose.

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The TiVo needs to dial an actual phone number, so NTL broadband isn't going to work. It's no problem though. It only uses the phone line for 10 minutes first time to download initial programming data, and then about 2 minutes a day. It's that quick and never a problem.

As for avoiding adverts, simply fast forward. On top speed, the TiVo skips adverts at about 5 seconds at most.

Change that TV!

3. Torque

Torque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, that's useful to know.

BTW, I happened to spot a white paper by some consultant strategists warning advertisers about how PVS/Tivo was a serious threat to advertising revenues in the UK. They mentioned Tivo and broadband as a potentially devastating combination. It was a bit worrying to see their proposals for other ways for advertisers to get their ads in front of "viewing eyeballs". Read it and be warned:

http://www.decipher.co.uk/research/whitepapers/personaltvservices.pdf

4. m1ke

m1ke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can use your broadband connection to get the tivo updates rather than your phone line!

inside the tivo is a proprietary connector, which some clever person has created an adapter that allows you to plug a network card into it! aka 'tivonet' - lots of people have succesfully upgraded their boxes to use a broadband or other connection instead of the phone - BUT of course doing this will void the warrantly, see this link for some info & photos of the card

http://www.silicondust.com/index.html

alternatively, there is also another solution, the Tivo has a serial port, and again various people have used this to connect to their pc, piggy backing their broad band connection to download the updates, see this link for more info....

http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/howto/tivo-dsl.htm

the details of how to do all these kind of things, and alot more with the tivo, are very actively described in 'underground' and 'upgrade' forum areas on http://www.tivocommunity.com there is a very busy UK forum with lots of advice on how to tweak and upgrade the Tivo.

Tivo is quite unusual in that they're very tolerant of people hacking and upgrading the box! eg upgrading the disk capacity- using broadband etc, theres is even 'tivoweb' where you can make the tivo act as a web server so you can control it over the net from work or whilst on holidays etc (, and no i am not joking - this is for real! - just look the web site)

As for skipping ads the tivo wont do it automatically, but you can fast forward right thru them in a few seconds when watching a recorded/ing program.

I only got my tivo a few weeks back - but it is amazing!!, recording programs - you can start watching them whilst they're still being recorded - pausing live tv, instantly rewatching clips or moments in live programs, slow motion etc, season passes, automatic recording etc etc - i certainly havent looked back or regetted buying one.

it is a huge step forward beyond a vcr.