Title UPDATE 3 Information

DTS MAN

Established Member
Reaction score
A list of all fixes so far coming in TU3 according to Epic folks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Changed the thread to use Simburgur's more organized code. Will make additional changes quickly. *

I've been spamming this around a bit to be honest, but everyone's been so concerned with bashing the game to notice, and I want to let everyone know now so we don't see anymore threads on it. Here's some news from the Epic staff on upcoming fixes.

Please try and keep general discussion/questions about the TU in this thread.

Last Update: 9:30pm EST [GMT-5]--01/22/2009

Quote:
Current status:
Unreleased (In Development)

A country filter is being added:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeGraf
A country filtering option will be in TU3. It doesn't restrict you to your country because otherwise certain areas of the world would be unlikely to play a match. It will always prefer your country when there is a match/party available.

More Info On Lag:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Fergusson
I'm sorry. It wasn't addressed in this TU because it's not actually an easy problem to solve and will require time to come up with the right solution for everyone. In the mean time we wanted to get all the exploit fixes released as soon as we could.

We know it's an issue and we're continuing to look at it and work on it.

Thanks for your patience.

Rod.

Two Piecing is adressed:
Quote:
The 2-piece is on our list to fix in the next TU. A partial fix was placed on our servers this afternoon and limits the usefulness of the technique.

More weapon balance will be coming:
Quote:
We will continue to adjust balance of the weapons over time. TU2 allowed us more finely grained control of updating our weapons via our servers. We'll use this to tweak balance in an ongoing basis. For instance, a change went in today to reduce the effectiveness of the "2-piece"

On the subject of unranked playlists/player matches:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rein
We're exploring lots of options but I can't say for certain what we will or won't do.

The Epic Crew plans on doing some "experimenting" with playlists:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rein
We really do not know. But the good news is that as of TU2 we can tweak a lot more parameters within the game without a new title update (more of that coming in TU3). In addition it is time for us to start trying a few things with the playlists.

Thanks mate. This just goes to prove that the game was rushed and is pretty much still a work in development. No time-scales for the release of TU 3 yet?

Thanks mate. This just goes to prove that the game was rushed and is pretty much still a work in development. No time-scales for the release of TU 3 yet?

Yep could not agree more. I have not heard anything on the release date of TU3 i suspect it would be failry soon though. I mean the number of complaints im sure they would put two teams on this to deal with the problem. If they have half a chance of redemming thereselves then they need to move quickly i would say.

Doesn't matter how many TU's Epic release folk will still moan as you can't please everyone. Personnally i'd love to see the matchmaking change where you pick your game type and the maps are random like in cod4 but im not counting my chickens.

Doesn't matter how many TU's Epic release folk will still moan as you can't please everyone. Personnally i'd love to see the matchmaking change where you pick your game type and the maps are random like in cod4 but im not counting my chickens.

COD4 and WaW have matchmaking so right. WaW allows local matchmaking as well. Epic need to copy them and it'll be almost perfect :smashin:

To little to late

COD4 and WaW have matchmaking so right. WaW allows local matchmaking as well. Epic need to copy them and it'll be almost perfect :smashin:

Surely that was nicked wholesale from Bungie...? :eek: Still a great system though, you're right :smashin:

TU3 seems to be Epic saying that they know they messed up on... well... an epic scale, if you'll pardon the pun. I read somewhere that in the month of release, Gears of War 2 was still fourth on the Xbox Live "most played" list, behind Halo 3 and the latest two CoD games. Dark days indeed for Cliffy B.

I just cannot fathom Epic's logic. Although not having a region filter is one of the biggest problems, I can see how it was overlooked, at least. But someone actually decided it was a good idea not to be able to pick the gametype you want! Sure, you might get it sometimes, but for me, Execution is the way to go, always. It's no wonder so many people quit when they a) can't kill anyone; and, b) end up playing Guardian or Annex instead of Warzone or Execution.

Such a poor game, and one I had such high hopes for. Bitterly disappointed by the online (except Horde, which is still fun).

Too little too late indeed.

obviously feathers are being ruffled! Taken from EPIC Post by Mark Rein

It is tiresome to try to try read the threads when people have big massive flashy crap in their signatures with lots of blank lines to make them take up more vertical space and lots of crazy use of color and font sizes/styles to distract your eyes. Keep 'em simple folks. The point of the forums is to read the posts, not the signatures. Posting your favorite beef in your sig, or a link to a post about your favorite beef, in no different than spamming and we're going to crack down on signature abuse to try to make the threads more readable.

We're also going to seriously crack down on people who post useless messages/threads (higher priority on threads) that are nothing more than noise. Posts which contain flames and insults to other members or users who simply repeat the same thing over and over again in multiple threads or posts will also earn infractions faster. Moving your favorite idea to your signature (so it can be repeated over and over again for you) is just a different way of spamming and will earn you infractions more often. When it really bothers us we'll erase your signature for you. If you see that happen you should consider it a clue to proper behavior. Cut it out. It's a signature, not an essay For people who post a lot signature abuse is the worst form of bandwidth hogging.

You guys want us to be more active in the forum? Then be more considerate of our time. Having to wade through 50 new threads on the same subject we read about 8 weeks ago (yes we read the forums!) isn't a productive use of our time. We heard you the first time and we're already working our butts off every day to continue to improve the game.

A few minutes ago somebody posted a thread complaining about how we weren't providing any information on the next TU. This person clearly didn't even to bother read the top thread on the forum (this one) and decided to start a new thread to complain. That kind of crap won't be tolerated any longer. We give out lots of information on this forum and reply to lots of threads. The reason people are seeing them is because they're cluttering up the forum with needless new threads. If we can reduce the clutter and repetition in the forum it will be a more valuable communication tool for you guys and for us.

And for those special folks who leave us a parting rant -- don't bother. It is an instant ban and we're likely to not only erase the thread with the rant but every other post you wrote on our forum prior to it. So you're wasting your keystrokes because whatever thing you thought was so important, that you decided was worth getting banned for, very few people actually got to read because some considerate forum reader reported your post 10 seconds after you wrote it and one of our moderators zapped it 10 seconds later

There are actually lots of considerate forum readers. I'm guessing many of them don't post very often because if they like the game, or they not having any problems with it, then less considerate people with some beef to air will rip them to shreds for saying so. But now that we're on a mission to hand out more of those 5 point "insulting other members" infractions hopefully we can cull the hurd and get rid of people who think they own the forum and can decide who should be listened to and who shouldn't.

Another Quote from Mark Rein:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate standbyers.

We all hate them. They're not unique to Gears either but that's no consolation to people whose fun they ruin in our game. I had an awesome Wingman game going that felt pretty balanced in the first round and then, wham!, we're all stuck and one jackass is flying around the map killing us. He proceeded to do this a few minutes into every round. If I could cancel his Xbox Live subscription I would but unfortunately only Microsoft can do that and they need us to be reporting people. If we want to punish these guys we have a duty to report them. I know it sounds futile but Microsoft says they take measure against people with lots of complaints. We're also looking into ways we can punish these folks but I can't elaborate on them and this is probably the last time I'll comment on this subject for a while.

Last edited:
Very interesting read! Mark Rein is quite outspoken anyway, so that sort of post isn't a huge shock coming from him. However, that was still quite a rant. Dare I say it, but is all the negativity surrounding Gears of War 2 - largely from the original Gears of War crowd, I suspect - starting to take its toll...?

Maybe Epic is finally starting to realise how majorly it dropped the ball on this one, and - veracity of Mark Rein's comments aside - is daunted by the long road ahead.

I must have missed this along the way, but what does he mean by "standbyers"

He is on about the utter utter ***** who use lag switches on Live.

"we are sooo angry at your use of loud and proud signatures's on our forum, you all dare to come here and moan and rant at us and we have to read through all your sigs as well as what you have posted - GGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! you will all be punished and banned for your crimes!"

What a :censored:

Try fixing the problems before you release the game then you wont get the fans (and the people that make you money) moaning constantly at what a piece of crap you've made.
They dont let any thread that has anything negative to say about Gears 2 last longer than 10 minutes anyway. Total censorship on their forums Im afraid.

Is that honestly the best he can come up with?

That was alot of anger about peoples flashy signatures, what I don't understand is why don't they just restrict the use of sigs as is done here(thankfully as I do hate them).

It's their forums for crying out loud, they allow the flashy sigs, then rant about people using them as if it's some sort of crime:confused:

That was alot of anger about peoples flashy signatures, what I don't understand is why don't they just restrict the use of sigs as is done here(thankfully as I do hate them).

It's their forums for crying out loud, they allow the flashy sigs, then rant about people using them as if it's some sort of crime:confused:

Its just their way of trying to sling mud back at the fans instead of just apologising for releasing a pig of a game.

It just sounds so pathetic.

Every time i pop over to the epic forums i end up wanting to play the game its really weird and i hate the game as well.
Maybe its just utter disbelief or something and that its all a fad and this is the game that i was supposed to be then i put the game in and i get angry again:D

Every time i pop over to the epic forums i end up wanting to play the game its really weird and i hate the game as well.
Maybe its just utter disbelief or something and that its all a fad and this is the game that i was supposed to be then i put the game in and i get angry again:D

Its the subliminal messages that epic hide in all the posts, they keep telling you its great and to go play it. But they cant change the reality :D

Yeh but then they lease it out to other devs anyway so its not like wed never see it again. If they did leave the 360 then it would be there own fault.

The fans have been trying to tell them what the problems are but they just dont want to listen.

It would be a shame if all this drove Epic away from developing for the 360. The Unreal Engine is still a fine piece of work.

With 4 million+ sales of Gears 2 I very much doubt it. And no doubt Gears 3 would sell even more.

The reality is that no matter how much people moan about Gears 2, Epic already has our money.

Some of you guys are being really unfair now. There is no way to simulate the effects such a large amount of people connecting for match making would have had without a beta. Fair enough if you want to complain they should have had a beta first but its not easy coding netcode to handle millions of people matchmaking.

Once you realise they've made a mistake with the netcode and matchmaking you then need to realise its not something that can be fixed with a few code tweaks inside of a week. This is taking time because when they finally release the update or they will kill the community even further than they have done if its not right.

A last thing to consider is that its naive to think all the complaints on Epic forums are from people who have played the game, sad though it may seem the internet brings out the worst in some people.

Some of you guys are being really unfair now. There is no way to simulate the effects such a large amount of people connecting for match making would have had without a beta. Fair enough if you want to complain they should have had a beta first but its not easy coding netcode to handle millions of people matchmaking.

Once you realise they've made a mistake with the netcode and matchmaking you then need to realise its not something that can be fixed with a few code tweaks inside of a week. This is taking time because when they finally release the update or they will kill the community even further than they have done if its not right.

A last thing to consider is that its naive to think all the complaints on Epic forums are from people who have played the game, sad though it may seem the internet brings out the worst in some people.

Appreciate what your saying there shagga but the thing is, Gears 1 didnt have matchmaking problems, games werent laggy. Sure they still had issues which had to be patched but the game was still very playable.

Also this game has been out since november and people have been complaining about the lag since then, so its not really a week or two that they have had to try and fix it in.

Its also important to remember that Gears 2 was mainly possible because the fans of the first one played it to death, it was the no1 xbox live game for over a year after it launched and was only knocked off the top spot by Halo 3. The fact that they have changed the very essence of what made the first game so good and have alienated most of the original fanbase that made this sequal possible is bad in itself, but to then ignore the outcry from said fans and dismiss anything bad said about the game from their own forums just disgusts me and quite a few others.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom