Title Naming on 770/879/970 : Can anyone please help?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul Cooksley, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi all

I've a quick question regarding title naming on the 770 (also applies to the 870/970 I guess as well...)

If I record a freeview programme, timed, from the EPG, it names the correct programme when I took back at the recording in the title list.

However, I have noticed that if I manually record a freeview programme, and start it, say, when the ident is introducing the programme, when I look back at the recording, it's quite often named as the programme that was on immediately BEFORE in the EPG guide.

With my old HXD560, you could start a manual recording from freeview a good few mins before the show you wanted to actually record, and it would always name the show correctly upon checking the recorded titles.

Does this have anything to do with the fact I have the thumbnail setting on '0' seconds? I know you can change this setting (haven't had a chance to do this today yet!) - is it likely to make any difference?

BTW, EPG timed recordings all come out correctly, with the correct title name.

If anyone can help at all, I would be really grateful..

Cheers

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    this happens on other recorders or pvrs like the humax 8000t as well as the sony

the title name is taken from the program name at the start of recording , and so this will be the previous program if you start the recording early

this is perfectly normal

you can change the program name using the right arrow while it is highlighted in your list , you can edit it , erase what is there with the clear button onscreen and rename it as you wish , same as on a humax

no its nothing to do with the thumbnail , its correct behaviour

3. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Your old hxd560 couldn't have got the correct title if you started it 2mins before if the program wasn't even being transmitted.

Maybe you were lucky on a few occasions during the ads.

4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks for your replies - I was absolutely certain I could start manually recording a freeview programme a few mins before the start time and after I had recorded the whole programme say, just over half hour later (or however long the show I was recording was), the title name would be that of the actual programme I had set it running for? It was like it kind of "stamped" the titling info a good few mins into the recording, if you know what I mean, instead of right at the start.

I am so intrigued by this, I am gonna test it out shortly (still got it set up in another room)...

Still, at least if this is completely normal on the 770 then I won't worry about it - as you quite rightly say, it doesn't take much to rename it.

Cheers - and I will post back my findings re HXD560 later on when I've tested it out !!!!! But - I expect you are right and I am wrong!

5. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

....right - just tested this out on the 560 and I wasn't imagining thiings!

This is what I did:-

For a test, I chose to record something on BBC2 (freeview) called 'Ben Fogle's Extreme Dreams' . This was listed in the EPG to start at 6.30pm. So, I manually started the recording at exactly 6.28. The programme that was on at that time was something called "Eggheads". The EPG info just after it had started recording at 6.28pm said "Eggheads".

I let the recording go on for roughly another 32 minutes, to capture the whole of the next programme, Ben Fogle's Extreme Dreams. I then checked back on the timer list and sure enough, it named the 32 minute recording as "Ben Fogle's extreme dreams" - so it must surely kind of "stamp" the titling info later on in the recording and not at the start - hence really what prompted me to ask the question re the 770.

Oh well, just thought I would let you know the result of that! Pity the 770 doesn't do that, but still, it's easy enough to rename !!!!