Question Titan III freeview box: how to output over RF to other rooms.

Neepheid

Novice Member
Reaction score
There are two issues I'd like help with, please.

My OH (lives in Dublin) has this new Titan III set-top box that I set up for her. It was purchased mainly so she could get the terrestrial Irish channels (along with satellite), like RTE, which she could not get with her long-term Skybox. The Skybox, via a Tri-link (hidden somewhere she has no knowledge of) feeds two small TVs (one in the kitchen and one in the loft) via the RF out of the Skybox; these units can control channel change with that infra-red Triax Magic Eye.

When I installed the Titan, I also put in a co-axial splitter that sent the signal to the LNB input on both the Skybox and the Titan. However, if the Titan is on and one switches over to the Skybox channels, the Skybox won't take a signal until both it and the Titan are switched off. If the Skybox is powered back on, it sees the satellite signal again. So, the Skybox must not be pulling enough signal when the Titan is on, yes? Is there a work-around for this?

In any event, the Skybox is on the way out. But it won't be sacked until I solve the problem of feeding the other two TVs. See the attached photo of the rear of the Titan III. As you can see, there is no RF out, which might have solved my problem in feeding these other TVs. I guess I could use a SCART to RF split but I don't think the Triax eyes would be able to change channels; am I correct in that assumption?

The only other way I could see the signal split working is using a HDMI split then converting to RF (would that work?) but again there is the issue of changing channels in the other rooms. If that can't happen, she will keep that awful Skybox.

Your assistance is greatly anticipated.

Neepheid. Titan III.jpeg

That's not a Freeview box it's a DTT and DSAT combie. Titan is not a Freeview brand, neither is Freeview available in Eire. Further you can't split a satellite signal. You need to look at RF mododulators and may be multi output LNB's if you want to run two satellite boxes. Boards.ie might be a better place to ask.

Last edited:
Freeview in Ireland is called 'Saorview', which is basically the same thing.

What I want advice on is how to feed those two other TVs from the Titan; there's got to be a way around it over the RF cabling that's still in situ.

I know what Saorview is!

I have given you several clues so you can do some research.

That's not a Freeview box it's a DTT and DSAT combie. Titan is not a Freeview brand, neither is Freeview available in Eire. Further you can't split a satellite signal. You need to look at RF mobulators and may be multi output LNB's if you want to run two satellite boxes. Boards.ie might be a better place to ask.

My, how curt!

What's a 'mobulator? Never heard of that.

1) You can't simply split the LNB feed to two receivers and have things play nice. Remove the splitter immediately!
You need two separate feeds from the lnb on the dish: one to each receiver if you want both to work.
Or ditch the $ky box altogether.

2) a UHF tv modulator connected to the scart output of the Saorview box might work? (Depends on the box design, .ie forums will be more familiar.)
Such modulators are discussed widely on other threads here for Freeview and/or freesat replacing $ky. There's a wide choice and the trilink may even support remote control back?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom