• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tisha the Bengal Cat

n0chex

Distinguished Member
Ok just bought a Canon 40D and just trying to learn a little of photography and some first shots with it and a nifty fifty lens.

IMG_8577.jpg

IMG_8578.jpg

IMG_8585.jpg

IMG_8576.jpg

shotokan101

Banned
"2nd last" ;) shot is the best for me - seems to be pretty low shutter speed used on these so if hand held possibly some of the others are a little soft due to slight camera shake

n0chex

Distinguished Member
F -Stop 4.5
Exposure Time 1/20 sec.
ISO Speed ISO 400

The light was a little poor in my front room at the time and the cat would not keep still and play my game :)

shotokan101

Banned
Yes I saw that from the EXIF :)

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
F -Stop 4.5
Exposure Time 1/20 sec.
ISO Speed ISO 400

The light was a little poor in my front room at the time and the cat would not keep still and play my game :)

At F 2.8 you'd have been able to take the shot at 1/50th of a second at iso 400 which would have made the shot sharper.

Other good options would have been F2.0 at either 1/100th and iso 400 or 1/50th at iso 200. You'd have to be very careful to focus on the eyes for this choice though as your depth of field will be very narrow. At 1/100th of a second you won't be so dependant on the cat being perfectly still either.

I don't really know what the 40d is like at iso 800 but that might be an option too, better to have a shot be sharp even if it makes it a little noisier. Low light is always a balanceing act and hard to chose the best option but making sure you have a decent enough shutter speed should be priority number 1.

She is a real beauty though and you've done really well for someone getting started, indoor photos of pets is difficult. We have so many hundreds of blurry pictures of our rabbit from when we got started.:D

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom