Tiscali (Talktalk) gone rubbish 72Kbps on 24 meg connection

8ace

Anyone else experienced probs since talk talk bought tiscali?

Never had a problem in about 5 years with tiscali until talk talk stepped in. This is the second time speeds have dropped to stupid lows for long periods over the last few months. This fridya night and now today all day has returned a whopping 72Kbps on Tiscali & TalkTalk User - when I am signed up for 24 meg unlimited!!!!

looks like a Mac code request will be the order of the day if they don't respond well to my complaint. :mad:

Talk talk gets a big :thumbsdow:thumbsdow fro me

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I had a similar problem (see my thread Pipex speed halved), I was only getting 1.5mb originally but it had been steady at that for years, then in February I think it was it dropped overnight to 0.4mb.

Months of wasted emails and phone calls got me absolutely nowhere, ended up going to Sky instead.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response to your complaint, well, not one that actually resolves anything, ask for a MAC and save yourself a load of greif.

beerhunter

Novice Member
when I am signed up for 24 meg unlimited!!!!
First of all you are signed up for UP TO 24 meg unlimited. You actual speed will depend on the length and quality of the pair of wires that connect you to your your local exchange.

Having said that if you speed has dropped from what you were getting, how are you measuring it?

How is your PC connected to the router?

Have you tried the router in the Test Socket?

8ace

First of all you are signed up for UP TO 24 meg unlimited. You actual speed will depend on the length and quality of the pair of wires that connect you to your your local exchange.

Having said that if you speed has dropped from what you were getting, how are you measuring it?

How is your PC connected to the router?

Have you tried the router in the Test Socket?

Actual capable speed is approx 6.6Meg I originally had 8meg service they auto upgraded me me as a good will gesture :suicide: a few months ago knowing full well my exchange is not capsble of this.

Pc to router= cable for 1 wireless 3 others. Test socket I'm not sure what you mean.

Friday night speed was crap till midnight. Saturday was good all day sunday was crap

8ace

I had a similar problem (see my thread Pipex speed halved), I was only getting 1.5mb originally but it had been steady at that for years, then in February I think it was it dropped overnight to 0.4mb.

Months of wasted emails and phone calls got me absolutely nowhere, ended up going to Sky instead.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response to your complaint, well, not one that actually resolves anything, ask for a MAC and save yourself a load of greif.

Just phoned them for a MAC code and can you believe it....................................................Their system is down and I'll have to call back :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Gonna have a look to see if I can get one via emailing them

8ace

Because this question is asked at least weekly, there are many threads on what is and how to use the Test Socket.

Looking at threads with test socket in a search from what I can make out a test socket is the first one into the house. I only have one socket as the house is 150 yrs old which my router is directly connected to. It works fine after 11pm and up until 8am.

beerhunter

Novice Member
Looking at threads with test socket in a search from what I can make out a test socket is the first one into the house. I only have one socket as the house is 150 yrs old which my router is directly connected to. It works fine after 11pm and up until 8am.
No. The Test Socket is located UNDER the faceplate of the Master Socket, which is indeed the first socket in the house.

BTW, I suspect that your Master Socket may not be contemporary with the house.

8ace

had an email this morning saying they would sort the problem out asap did a speed test 1st thing 6:45am and was up to 6000+kbps down and 530kbps up. Still over 1500kbps down now which is about right during peak times.

Think they're speading their service very thinly at times

Jonstone

I've had problems with my talktalk connection over the last few months, surprisingly though my problem is the reverse of yours. Their DLM keeps changing my line profile to try to give me more speed which makes the line unstable.

Although I have had varied success in resolving the issue, by far the best place to get it sorted seems to be on their forums ,specifically the broadband connection and stability section. You usually get an answer on the same day and they do their best to help.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I tried the forums when I was having all my troubles with them. Trouble is, being an original Pipex customer, I couldn't join the Talk Talk forum and because I had a Pipex rather than Tiscali email address I couldn't join that forum either! So I was stuck with the worse than useless phone support.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom