Tiscali Broadband with Free router?

bouncer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just trying to find out what tiscali's free wireless router is, since its only worth 20 quid I assume it will be crap and next to useless, but who makes it what model is it?

I think I've found my answer, a Speedtouch ST585 ADSL2+ Modem/ 802.11g Wireless Router

If you haven't already, do not touch Tiscali with a barge pole.

They are an awful, awful isp and should not be considered by any right thinking human being.

While I would agree, don't go with tiscali. The actual router is pretty decent, and has a good reputation for working well on noisy lines.

well decided to stay with tiscali ive had no problems for over a year so i stayed with them. they did give me a hell of a deal

8mb unlimited broadband
no £30 set up fee
free router
free weekend phone calls.
3 months free
£5 refund on my call charges

all for £4.99 a month for the whole 12 months. now i couldnt find anyone who could match that.

well decided to stay with tiscali ive had no problems for over a year so i stayed with them. they did give me a hell of a deal

8mb unlimited broadband
no £30 set up fee
free router
3 months free

all for £4.99 a month for the whole 12 months. now i couldnt find anyone who could match that.

Only thing is you may find that their idea of unlimited is different to many other people's. there bandwidth filtering of gaming and P2P/torrent is painfully bad.

now ive never had a problem P2P with them because in play games in the evening but do all my downloads in the overnight or in the morning so as not to get them on my back.

thing is they are all the same on this aspect becuse i know sky have the same fair usage policy and virgin have such a miniscule donload limit before they put you on the heavy users list.

now people have said to me use plus net or be well yet but why pay more when ive not had a problem with my current service

with sky LLU anyway, they are much more generous than most ISP's. The rumoured limit is 250GB. Easily enough (and much much more than Tiscali would allow you).

now ive never had a problem P2P with them because in play games in the evening but do all my downloads in the overnight or in the morning so as not to get them on my back.

thing is they are all the same on this aspect becuse i know sky have the same fair usage policy and virgin have such a miniscule donload limit before they put you on the heavy users list.

now people have said to me use plus net or be well yet but why pay more when ive not had a problem with my current service

difference is that Sky don't use filtering.

thing is they are all the same on this aspect
Nah, they're not. Sky LLU & BE for example will let you downlaod at full speed 24/7 on all protocols including p2p. Their FUP limits are also much higher...in the realms of 100's of GB's per month & they are amongst the cheapest.

Some BT Wholesale based ISPs are better than others when it comes to FUP limits & protocol shaping. Tiscali generally don't hold up well in comparison. Thing is if you are happy then they are the right ISP for you. I always say the best ISP for one person will not necessarily be best for the next person. All comes down to the individuals particular requirements.

excuse my ignorance but what is filtering? do you mean throttling?

i tend to set up alot of downloads and leave them running while asleep

in skys terms and conditions it states if your use is excessive during peak periods they can b) pair your use of Sky Broadband with other users in the same excessive usage category as you;

PS none of this affects anybody if you do all your P2P in the morning or while asleep all fair usage policies state for peek hours evenings and weekends. download as much as you like out side these hours

in skys terms and conditions it states if your use is excessive during peak periods they can b) pair your use of Sky Broadband with other users in the same excessive usage category as you
It's not what ISPs say but what they do that separates the men from the boys as it were. All ISP's FUPs sound very similar with the same wooly undefined limits/times etc. That does not for one moment mean they all perform the same.

Fact of the matter is on Sky LLU you can download 15 GB via any protocol in one evening during peak time (if you were so inclined). It's total internet freedom. You just cannot compare it to the likes of Tiscali. You would be amazed how quickly you get used to being able to do anything you want any time you want! And it only costs £10/month. Similar situation with BE where it only costs £14/month.

Tiscali very heavily throttled my broadband connection. It was slow anyway but P2P was stuck at about 30k per second almost all of the time.

Am now on O2 Broadband and can quite happily get 1mb (1000k!) per second even at peak time.

No contest really.

Plus Tiscali's "customer support" (I use the term loosely) ranged from merely thick to downright rude and hostile. Despite obviosuly being based in India they were still only open 9-5. O2 have 24/7 support in the UK.

Hmm, I sound like a plant for O2 now - really I'm not. But I've had their connection for three months now and I am just unspeakably impressed.

Just to add something in Tiscali's defence

I have the dubious honour of having moved to Milton Keynes recently, it probably has the worst broadband options of any major town in England. Cable was made from Aluminium to save money - so you can't use it for the internet, and the exchanges are so far from most houses that you can only get 1MB :mad:

I knew this info before searching ISPs. Tiscali was the only provider decent enough to tell me immediately with the online test that I was only likely to get 1MB, all the other major players happily told me that I could go for their superfast deals - not too honest.

Its been fine. Haven't been doing any P2P for a while tho. Oh - and the modem is one of those appalling 'dial-up' broadband things, leave it in the cupboard...

QuagSwag

I think I've found my answer, a Speedtouch ST585 ADSL2+ Modem/ 802.11g Wireless Router

This thread has been bounced around a bit but to answer the original question: the one I have in my hand is a Siemens Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsl. It's small 5x5x1ins and has 4 ports. As it has no country of origin marked on it then it must be EC sourced. Haven't been able to try it yet.

8mb unlimited broadband
no £30 set up fee
free router
3 months free

Miller25 - That's a great deal! How did you manage to get the 3 months free and at £4.99 a month? - did you go for the free line rental as well?
I'm with Tiscali Broadband and haven't had any problems in 18months. So was thinking of going with their free line rental and free wireless router deal but any loyalty discount would be great.

Yeah thats a top deal. Im on the 8mb free line rental and free anytime calls for £19.99 but im still waiting for my free wireless router.

I might give em a call and ask about that deak :thumbsup:

yeah wat naresh said, how did you get such a great deal, seems to good to be true

I, too have "upgraded" my previous Tiscali 2mb broadband to the £19.99 package, which is "max" speed broadband, phone line rent, and includes "free" all 01 and 02 calls and to 30 international destinations all day all week. Good value even at that price.

But their customer service is non-existent.

I asked for CallerID. I have asked for it 6 times now. I still don't have it.

My "max speed" broadband has now slowed from its previous 2300k (give or take) to 1248 this morning. It was 1312 yesterday. These are the synch speeds reported by my router; not actual data transfer speed test results. I know I'm pretty far from the exchange, but I've been running at 2300 ish for years........................

They take over 2 weeks to reply to emails (if they reply at all). They apologise and promise to act. They don't act. And they would charge me to call them to tell them about it!

Oh, and I have still to receive my "free" router, 2 months after I ordered the upgrade.

For then record it took Tiscali just under 2 months to upgrade me to the £19.99 package. I also had to pay to talk to them which involved at leat 5 calls when i wasnt upgraded within the 14 days as stated. Like you im still to recieve my free router.

Customer services are awful but its a good deal.

@ LV426 - sync speeds are nothing to do with the ISP - so the decrease you've seen would have probably happened on any other ISP too. Could be anything really. Interference on the line, a dodgy joint somewhere, water on the line, poor quality overhead line (if applicable), even the weather.

However, from my experience a few years back now (back on dial up), their CS is pathetic, and miles worse than any other company.

@ LV426 - sync speeds are nothing to do with the ISP - so the decrease you've seen would have probably happened on any other ISP too.....
Odd, then, that, while I was on their 2mb package, the synch speed reported by my router was static at (something like) 2304k for months - at least, every time I looked at it, it was. And this was borne out by testing the speed on certain speed check sites. Now I'm on their "max" package, it was initially higher, but has just in the last few days slowed.

Yeah, I'm no fan of Tiscali but you cant really blame them for fluctuating sync speeds.

I think you were probably on a fixed rate service previously, and now you're on rate adaptive. On flakey lines fixed rate is sometimes a better option.

...you were probably on a fixed rate service previously, and now you're on rate adaptive.....
The penny drops. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom