Tips wanted on setting audio delay to cure lip sync

M

mish

I am a newbie to the forum. :eek:

I have just bought a Yamaha AX-750SE to cure the lip sync problem I have with my TV (delayed picture compared to sound). I can set the audio delay from 0 to 160ms. Does anyone have any good tips for finding what exact setting I require?

I have tried watching news channels as they have more speaking and tried to focus on getting their mouths in time with what they speak but I don't seem to be able to judge it when I get the delay to only slightly out.

This seems like a good option if the delay is within reason.

Not speaking from experience but I would guess you would do well to disconnect all speakers aside from your centre speaker, listen through that and work out the correct delay. Then adapt your remaining speakers delay from the centre's calibration. :)

Thanks for the reply Eviljohn2. The problem is not setting up the delay on, say, rear speakers but getting any speakers in time with the visual in the first place. Before I adjust the Audio Delay function, I can clearly see/hear that the visual follows the sound so I start to increase the audio delay on the amp but cannot quite tell when I've cured it. So, I was wondering if those with the same problem did anything specific when setting their Audio Delay e.g. used a music DVD as the mouth movements are more pronounced.

I just found this clipping on the Yamaha AX-750SE; "Master digital audio delay Just suppose you did buy a plasma / projector - you might have the odd occasion when lipsync became an issue. This clever facilty allows you to synchronise the amp's sound output, so it exactly matches lip movement on the screen."

Anyway, probably i'm not being a help with this bit... Do you route your DVD and TV signals true the Yamaha!? Did you also try to send videosignal direct to the TV? Sorry I can't be of real help but reading your posting this came to mind.

Hi

It will vary from channel to channel if you're watching Satellite/Sky so don't drive yourself crackers trying to sort it out for all of them. Around 60ms works well for the majority of channels in my setup so you could try that as a starter.

yes, most progressive displays generate a delay of about 2-3 fields, so you should test with 40-60 ms.

mish said:
I am a newbie to the forum. :eek:

I have just bought a Yamaha AX-750SE to cure the lip sync problem I have with my TV (delayed picture compared to sound). I can set the audio delay from 0 to 160ms. Does anyone have any good tips for finding what exact setting I require?

I have tried watching news channels as they have more speaking and tried to focus on getting their mouths in time with what they speak but I don't seem to be able to judge it when I get the delay to only slightly out.

I have set my Yammie RXSL80 to 50ms delay & left it at that (someone on these forums had suggested this setting as a good starting point for Sky and Sky + ) works ok for me, never noticed it on dvd's and this setting seems to work best for everything :smashin:

Audio delay in amplifiers often can't solve the problem.
Quite often with satelite broadcasts the picture runs ahead of the sound, so any additional audio delay actually makes the situation worse.

Infact, I've never found a use for the audio delay function in my amp for just this reason and consider it a very mis-understood tool.

If your display imparts a video delay (and most don't these days) it will be noticeable on all sources.
I think it is unwise to start mucking around with audio delay on a 'per broadcast' basis.

All: Surely the amount of delay required is dependent on how you have setup and connected your system?

If you have a sky box connected directly to your tv, and you listen to the speakers on the tv, then the tv should be assumed to display audio and video in time together.

If like me, you have a much more complicated setup, with sky going to tv via, HDD/DVD recorder and AMP video switching, and the amp is also putting out the sound via a different cable path to video, then by adding more factors, boxes and circuitry into the equation, the sync between audio and video may become more pronounced.

Thus there is a need for lip sync functions but the actual delay, may vary from system to system and possibly from source to source.

If you have functions such as Philips Pixel Plus, or video scalers etc, then this will probably introduce even more delay into the video circuit, due to the extra time (albeit fractions of a second) it takes to process the information.

The final factor is your own ability as the user/viewer to notice any apparent error, and your preference to put up with it. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom