Tips to consider when buying a new TV

JustTheFacts

OLED TVs are definitely the best, but it would be hard to tell the difference between some of the very high level VA panels other than the viewing angle. I am extremely happy with my OLED.

Burn in and brightness of OLEDs can be extremely overblown by a few members on AVForums.

IPS panels are very good TVs if you don't watch your TV with the lights off. The blacks are better on VA panels if you look at you TV straight on, but if you look at your TV with a greater than 20 to 30 degree angle (varies with TVS) an IPS panel will have much better picture quality.

If your getting a TV for your bedroom go with a OLED or a VA panel, since you often watch TV with lights out and the horizontal viewing angle is usually zero or close to it.

If buying a TV that two or more people are going to be watching at the same time with a viewing angle greater than 30 degrees go with a IPS an OLED, or a TV with a large viewing angle.

If you look at your TV at less than 20 degrees a VA panel will give you the best TV for the price.

Professional factory default calibration is as good as any independent professional calibrator. Calibration is just a matter of personal choice. What is right for one person could be terrible for another. You have many different professional default calibration choices to choose from on a new TV. I like "expert bright room" calibration for my personal taste ; LG CX.

Sony, Samsung, and LG are the most reliable TVs and the owner satisfaction is higher than the TVs from TCL, Hisense, etc. This information is gathered from scientific data by Consumer Reports. The satisfaction index says a lot and that is why I only buy from one of these brands.

Most TVs made by Sony, LG, and Samsung have excellent picture quality, Most people are very happy with mid level TVs from Sony, LG, or Samsung although if you like HDR it doesn't hurt to go with a premium TV.

If you study TVs your personal satisfaction with your TV will go downwards, since you will be looking for issues rather than just enjoying your phenomenal TV.

When buying a new TV go to rtings.com and do a comparison. Look at the differences, for instance, if you have two TVs and one is rated better because of sound you would say both TVs are equivalent if you have your own sound system. If a TV has a narrow viewing angle and you are looking at your TV strait on then you would probably want to rate this TV a little higher than the the rating systems since this factor doesn't apply to you.

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Personally, I'd take all the above with a pinch of salt. It's far from the opinion of an AV enthusiast which is the reason most of us are here.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't touch an IPS panel unless I had no choice and needed a budget TV with wide viewing angles.

Murky grey "blacks" defined by their poor contrast and black uniformity.

OLED TVs are definitely the best, but it would be hard to tell the difference between some of the very high level VA panels other than the viewing angle.

You may not be able to tell the difference, but it would take most people no time at all to see the difference in black levels, per pixel dimming and lack of haloing when the differences are pointed out.

In short, I think your post does a disservice to the site and to any new users looking for real advice on buying a TV.

It's not a "hobby" to discuss for me. I want the best TV picture I can get at a price I can afford, not something like a midrange LG IPS TV I know is going to look very average.

Your opinion is far from "Facts".

JustTheFacts

Go to rti
I wouldn't touch an IPS panel unless I had no choice and needed a budget TV with wide viewing angles.

Murky grey "blacks" defined by their poor contrast and black uniformity.
There are some VA panels that have terrible picture quality at very small viewing angles. Back in 2018 I bought a Samsung VA panel TV from COSTCO when I knew absolutely nothing about TVs. When I brought this TV home the picture was terrible from any viewing angle greater than 15 degrees. This is what got me interested in researching TVs. I took this TV back to COSTCO and bought a IPS panel TV. The blacks on my OLED are noticeably darker if you are looking for it and I agree the picture does look better on my OLED, but I also enjoyed the viewing experience of the IPS panel.

If you go to a retail web site and look at the customer reviews for the IPS panel TVs from Sony and LG you will find that most people that don't try to find things wrong with IPS panels are extremely happy with IPS panel technology.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Moving on as you're now deleting your own posts.

I'll leave others to make their own opinion of your comments.

JustTheFacts

Moving on as you're now deleting your own posts.

I'll leave others to make their own opinion of your comments.
I am trying to move on also. I waste a lot of my life with this addiction. Personal growth is what makes life enjoyable. Hopefully I will succeed.

I know Dodgemaker and Sloppy Bob get satisfaction from helping others there is nothing wrong with this noble cause.

Cheers.

Morangie57

Standard Member
I am trying to move on also. I waste a lot of my life with this addiction. Personal growth is what makes life enjoyable. Hopefully I will succeed.

I know Dodgemaker and Sloppy Bob get satisfaction from helping others there is nothing wrong with this noble cause.

Cheers.
Sorry, don't take this the wrong way, but is this a joke post? It reads like you have "issues".

JustTheFacts

Sorry, don't take this the wrong way, but is this a joke post? It reads like you have "issues".
It is not a joke I do have issues., you read it right. I have wasted a lot of my life with mind numbing tasks. Now at 57 years old I am finally trying to change. AVForums is one mind numbing task I still haven't been able to shake,

AVForums isn't bad if you read with moderation, but it has become something that can occupy one to two hours of my day. That isn't healthy for me or the people in my life; grandkids, wife, etc. if I am looking at AVForums while I am spending time with my grandkids or wife that can't be a good use of my time.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom