Tips required for lcd tv purchase

O

outoftouch75

Hi everyone

I'm looking to buy my first LCD tv in the next week or so but could do with some tips as there are just so many to choose from out there. I'm looking at a budget of sub £400, 17 to 20", widescreen format, pq more important than sound as it is not my main tv.

Can someone point me in the right direction, make some suggestions, etc. please.

Many thanks!

outoftouch75 said:
Hi everyone

I'm looking to buy my first LCD tv in the next week or so but could do with some tips as there are just so many to choose from out there. I'm looking at a budget of sub £400, 17 to 20", widescreen format, pq more important than sound as it is not my main tv.

Can someone point me in the right direction, make some suggestions, etc. please.

Many thanks!

Tip one! Foe anyone based in the UK - get one with built in Freeview.

Not just because of the analogue switch off but because having the Freeview built in means an all digital path and a better picture - that using a settop box.

Cheers Dave C.

cooperda

That rather brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask. I came upon this board because I've been thinking about buying the 26 inch Humax LCD TV that QVC have been hawking. Various things I've read suggest it might not be the best option though so I have been looking around.

One of the things about the Humax that appealed was the built in Freeview tuner (2 in fact). It also has analogue. Looking at other Freeview LCD TVs, none of them seem to mention analogue tuners. Does this mean they only have digital tuners?

I ask because I have now found out from the Freeviw site that I cannot get Freeview in my area, so I need an analogue TV now. But when we are switched over, I will want a Freeview TV (rather than a set top box), so whatever I buy now needs to do both.

PaulC

Most, if not all, Freeview LCDs should still contain an analogue tuner. I have to disagree with Cooperda however, there really isn't a great deal of difference between having inbuilt Freeview or using a STB, in fact you can get more flexabilty and the option of PVR with a STB and I have seen better PQ through a box rather than the onboard tuner. There are far more imporatnt things to look for in a good LCD than Freeview, response time, types and quantity of inputs, screen resolution etc.

cooperda said:
having the Freeview built in means an all digital path and a better picture - that using a settop box.

This is usually not true. The interface between the builtin freeview tuner and the remainder of the TV is often analog RGB.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom