1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips on swapping an LNB?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by meltie, Sep 19, 2005.

1. meltie

meltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I've been given a friend's old digibox, and our upstairs neighbour is happy with us changing the LNB on her minidish to one with multiple outputs so we don't have to put our own dish up :thumbsup:

How easy is it to knock the dish out of alignment when changing the LNB? Is it easy to realign if you knock it out?

Does anyone have any tips for me by way of fittings to tighten etc before I start swapping the LNB that would help me not knock the dish out of alignment?

Cheers :)

2. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsdow This is not a good idea. Both properties need to be electrically isolated from each other. A shared dish/LNB would bypass this seperation.There could be seriuous repecussions if an electrical short circuit happened.

3. meltie

meltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh, ground loop, good point. I'll have a rethink then.

4. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
  5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Bluevanman is right.

It's more than a ground loop ! It's probable that you and your neighbour are on different phases of the mains supply. This means that you will have more than 400V between "Live" wires on the power. The earthing rod would be of no use in a fault situation.

6. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I would love to know where the hazard is with a coax cable going to sat box in say one room and another sat cable going to a box in another room. I always thought there was very little voltage going through a sat cable. Why the need for grounding? I take this as the same house but in flats or let rooms? Or have I missed something glaringly obivious!! If there is a short in either box isn't there a fuse protection to the circuit? Seems an awful lot of hassle to run a coax cable from a quad lnb output.

gbmitie

7. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    before swapping the lnb just make sure the fixing bolts on the dish are tight, then mark the exisiting lnb with a pen then line up the new lnb but the new lnb is heavier so it may sag a little at the front, tighten everything securely.

Another tip is to check the signal level and quality in the box thats already connected before doing anything and make a note of it, then when putting on new lnb use this as a guide. If you dont know how to get to the signal bit let us know. If signal level does drop u may have to raise LNB slightly, u can do this by hand and get someone to watch the signal level at the same time. Also remember a digital signal takes a few seconds to hit the dish and transmit its way to the signal meter so be sure to pause before u ask for signal strength. Take a picture of dish if u can as well, most have a digital camera these days.

good luck

gbmitie