Tips on setting up a TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Fin, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Fin

Fin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a bit of a novice and getting my new telly in a couple of weeks, I wondered if there are a series of checks I can do to make sure that my TV is configured correctly. Obviously configuring the Telly will be straighforward but are there any tips on getting the best picture.

I am sure there will be a lot of personal opinion with the birghtness/contrast etc but wondered if there are some other basic checks. Any pointers to websites or news groups greatly appreciated.

The TV is a Sony KD-32NX100.

Cheers

Fin

2. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fin,

A DVD test disc is going to give you the best results. There are several to choose from, including:

- AVIA Test disc
    - Video Essentials
    - Ultimate DVD Platinum

The AVIA disc tend to be favoured by some of the experienced members of the forum whilst the Ultimate DVD is a good for starters.

A cheaper way to do it is to get hold of a recent THX certified DVD (Phantom Menace, Fight Club, etc) that will have a feature called THX Optimode. This has a series of test screens that are similar to those found on the three discs above.

Suffice it to say that a good shielded scart cable (connecting your components with a RGB signal) and a quality input will enhance picture quality further.

Check out the following site for some interesting information:

http://www.snellwilcox.com/internet/reference/books.html

I'm sure other members will add further advice.

Good luck.

3. Fin

Fin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks bh, will try this.

Cheers

Fin

4. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

I had a look at my copy of Phantom Menace (R2) at the weekend, but I couldn't find the Optimode "feature". Could someone please advise how to access this.

Cheers.

5. Jimbob

Jimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Terminator 2 Ultimate DVD has this THX program also. This is what I will use for my new Tosh TV that arrives tomorrow :)

Jimbob