• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tips on Getting an Optical Cable to stay in

StreetDragster

Established Member
Hi All,

Struggling to get an optical cable to stay in the port and aligned, its a Cambridge Audio optical cable, going into a Cambridge Audio Azur v2 reciever, and a Xbox 360. The cable plugs in and appears to 'click' when fully home, but then either the slightest movement or vibration and it 'pops' out the back just enough to mis align.

Any tips on getting it to stay in, spoke to my local branch and they said opticals were a nightmare for this and its nothing to do with my particular cable and they had no tips. I'm thinking something along the lines of bluetack to keep it located?

Thanks

Matt

K

krusty

i have the exact same problem with a cambridge audio optical cable. it just keeps dropping out of its docking port. the problem for me is the cable has a heavy brass type end.ive just wedged either a matchbox or something similar beneath the cable.

StreetDragster

Established Member
Cheers for your reply, good idea, although i can't do it quite like that, no room to position the match box, think i'll try blue tac for now.
Superglue would do it, but obviously i'm not going to do that LOL

StreetDragster

Established Member
Hi All,

Seemed to have got a solution that works, i put some normal clear Sellotape round the connector to pack it out a bit and now it stays in much better, for support i also put a pair of strips of Sellotape from the optical connector to the AV connector but i don't think they are needed.
Finally, no more blind routing round the back of the AV cabinet! :)

Thanks

Matt

Canti1982

Prominent Member
Yep I have that cable too and its a nightmare, falls out really easily. Im using it for my freeview box and its fine provided you dont move it at all.

Im going to have to order a new optical cable for my ps3, hopefully that will stay in.

Spock

Established Member
Oh god no! Ive just bought this cable ( ten mins ago) cos I'm having a v+ box installed tomorrow. Does this mean I'm in for trouble?

StreetDragster

Established Member
Nar it'll be fine mate, just put a bit of tape round the connector if its a bit loose and there will be no problems :)

Thanks

Matt
(Having V+ Installed on April 3rd)

StreetDragster

Established Member
Good stuff!
Mine also clips in fine at the reciever end its just the 360 end, but the tape has sorted that now, happy days!

Thanks

MAtt

mark05

Standard Member
seems I'm not alone then! Tried for ages to get my optical cable to properly click into the Denon, I ended up tying it to the coax cable next to it to stop it falling out. It clicks into the back of the dvd recorder perfectly! I thought it might be cos I bought a cheapy cable but it seems not. Have to say I was disappointed to find there wasnt a coax output on the dvd recorder...lucky I'd just bought an optical cable for the PS2 - thats just in glorious stereo for now...

I know that didnt really help anyone but I thought you might like to know you aren't alone...

Deaf Audiophile

Established Member
Hi All,

Struggling to get an optical cable to stay in the port and aligned, its a Cambridge Audio optical cable, going into a Cambridge Audio Azur v2 reciever, and a Xbox 360. The cable plugs in and appears to 'click' when fully home, but then either the slightest movement or vibration and it 'pops' out the back just enough to mis align.

Any tips on getting it to stay in, spoke to my local branch and they said opticals were a nightmare for this and its nothing to do with my particular cable and they had no tips. I'm thinking something along the lines of bluetack to keep it located?

Thanks

Matt
At last I thought I found other people mentioning it. I was going mad. I have the Cambridge Audio toslink cable too & it drops out due to being cable heavy hence probably the price drop. It sounds good when in but a slight jolt it falls out. I will bluetack & support it from the heavy lead dragging it down.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom