1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for setting up the Logitech Harmony H655

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Ikki, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    It is a bit intimidating to set up any multifunction device at first. They certainly are not set up straight out of the box. This list is taken from my experiences.

1. Load up the software, go online and plug in the remote as shown in the instructions. This should take you to the Harmony setup web site.

2. Do a basic set up of your devices, it may select a device from the same manufacturer that has a different model code, this is because it uses the same communications language, so don't worry you can always change the selection if it can't communicate. You can rename the devices.

2. Due to the way that the function lists are set up, there will be functions that are on your remote and functions that don't appear to be on your remote.

1. Make sure that all the functions that you use are listed for a particular device.

2. Learn any that are not present using the original remote.

3. Customise the device button functions by removing any that you don't want (scroll up to the top of the functions drop down and select the blank space) and ordering the remaining ones in a way that suits you.

4. Set up the activities and then customise the buttons for each activity. It is best to only set the most used functions that don't have hard buttons to appear on the lcd/soft buttons to avoid clutter or endless scrolling.

When an AV amp/receiver is used for the sound, the controls for the receiver are selectable in the activity customise buttons area along with those of the device. If you change them for one activity, they will change for all activities where the receiver is used.

I have a minor problem when switching activities, eg Humax pvr to Pace OnD box where the TV does not change to the correct input. This is because the pin 8 input select output from the Pace OnD box is totally flaky - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My way around this was to learn the Input Select button from the TV remote onto the function list for all my input devices, Humax, Pace, DVD etc and assign it to an unused hard button such as the +* button. This means that when I am in any activity, I can press the +* button to change the TV input, essential when it doesn't change automatically.

5. You can change the assignment of the activity buttons e.g. I changed my Listen to music button to Watch Humax and my Watch TV button to Watch Pace.

6. Choose if you want devices to turn off when you move to a different activity. For example, the Pace OnD box stays on all the time, the Humax comes on at the start of it's activity, but does not turn off if I switch back to the Pace for a few minutes. All devices with the exception of the Pace turn off when the OFF button is pressed. The Pace is kept on all the time because of it's flaky nature.

It's worth persevering with. :thumbsup:

2. yba_us

yba_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    Sorry for my stupid question.
    Is it possible to use this for my Musical Fidelity Trivista amp?
    I don't have remote control and I'm looking for a replacement one.
    Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks Tibor

3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,294
    You won't find a 12 year old device now!
    Load the current Harmony program and check there.