Tips for editing live music

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by theprestige, Jun 13, 2015.

1. theprestige

theprestige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    Hiya lads/ladettes,

So i just finished shooting some live music that i'm being hired to edit, too. I've never edited live music before. It's about 25 mins of footage, shot with two decent DSLR with some good footage. They performed 3 songs. Basically, the geezer wants me to do some sort of montage.

Any tips on this?

2. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Separate the audio from the video and create a complete sound track (possibly using Audacity) Set that on the sound track and fit the video to it. I hope you have a few cut aways of the audience to help with the syncing.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    Editing live shows can pick up a lot of continuity issues if you are not careful. For example cutting from one camera to another but not using the same actual scene you can get things like the singer holding the mic in the left hand but once cut it is now in his right hand. This can be particularly and issue if reducing from 25 minutes to say 5 minutes and therefore not always having the true footage for that part of the music, or cutting from one verse to another.

I edited a show recorded on 3 nights and edited the best performance form each night into a single DVD of the show. Things like somebody taking off their jacket at a different time each night can make the edit very difficult with you having to stick to a single nights recording for a while.

These may not be relevant to your situation, but you can guarantee if you miss them they will be picked up by some smart so and so on the first showing :rolleyes:

Mark.

4. theprestige

theprestige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    It's literally just a band and three songs they did in sequential order, not an entire show, which makes life a lot easier for me!

Terfyn, a complete soundtrack of 3 songs or should I stick with a particular song and just use various cuts to it or should I try to get all the songs in?

5. theprestige

theprestige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    I do have a few cuts to the audience, too. Even got a bunch of them dancing!!!

6. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    That's between you and the geezer really.:D Or how good the songs are !!
    I think it would be easier to fix the soundtrack and then fit the video to it.
    I use Corel VideoStudio which allows "stretching" and "compressing" the track to fit the music. It is usually the other way round for me as I stretch the music to fit a video shot.

7. theprestige

theprestige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    The songs are alright, the one that got people dancing is one I want to focus on more than the others, though.

I just downloaded this audacity programme. This should enhance the audio, yeah?? I guess my main concern is getting everything to be in sync and such. I'm going to give it a go tonight and see how I get on.

8. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Good luck and please let us know how it went.

9. theprestige

theprestige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    Cheers mate, will do.