1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for creating an authentic cinema atmosphere in a small room?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by gary-s, Oct 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. gary-s

gary-s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps an unusual question, but here goes. I've got all the gear to set up my rather small room (15x15~ Ft) with the usual HT stuff, but im still basically watching a big TV in a room. I want to try to create the sort of cinema atmosphere. The pictures in the multi-million dollar homes in all the magazines seem to do it wonderfully but trying to do it to a small room is rather puzzling.

I've decided to get huge dark red curtain to cover the windows, which will block as much light at possible and add to the look, and im trying to find some sort of dim lighting aswell. I've painted the walls a colour which looks good in the dark and doesnt distract from the screen. BUT, being such a small room im stumped as to what to add, or modify, to add to the atmosphere, be it furniture, fixtures etc...

I'm sure like myself a lot of you dont have the huge rooms to work with, so someone must have tried this before. Any tips/links/pictures would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Gary

2. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
  3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Digs foxhole, dons body armour, tightens helmet strap and says:

If you want it to look like a cinema get a projector. Everything else is a big TV.

Kisses photo of wife, curls up with fingers in ears...

4. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Binbag is right, it's a PJ you need, then invite some scallies round so they make a racket:mad: , turn up the sound so its distorted and above all make sure someone is kicking your seat from the back:eek: . only joking mate,:) you can get loads of ideas from these forums try the home cinema DIY section in the forum:smashin:

5. gary-s

gary-s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite the authentic experience im looking for :D

6. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    LOL........:):):) and don't forget, it will cost you a packet :( but when you get there it will be well worth it and your DIY skills will be second to none:)

7. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just the thread I was looking for!

I'm also thinking about a very small home cinema (room size 2.7m x 3.3m), but had already jumped to the same conclusion about a projector. But I want a BIG image and the modelling I've done so far suggests I'm only going to get a screen size about 1.5 metres wides. Big (or so the wife tells me) but not awe inspiring.

Any suggestions for how I can get a bigger screen size with a projector throw of about 3 metres. I've been thinking about mirrors..... (but no smoke!)

Regarding cinema atmosphere, I've been looking at having a row of old cinema seats at the back. Normally the sofa, or chairs would be pushed back against the cinema seats, but can be pushed forward to give more capacity and the right atmosphere. Ebay has some good 1930s seats at the moment at reasonable prices.

8. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    you also want to have crisps and popcorn all over the seats which are sticky from spilled coke and chewing gum, and then empty the contents of your bin on the floor right in front of your chair. you could also get a tall person with a huge haircut or hat to sit right in front of you and obscure part of the screen

remember to have an oversized cup of coke, filled to the brim with ice first, then half filled with water before putting in half a can of pepsi and a bag of popcorn preferably opened 24 hours before consumption. you should also try and find the worlds smallest ice cream lolly, and pay about £5 for it. again leave this to half melt before eating

to top it off you should also have a looped tape of kids shouting and laughing playing in the background, just low enough so it will annoy you during quiet scenes. having a clueless friend who doesn't understand the plot and constantly has to ask you what is going on will also add to this no end

if you want to avoid this, i would just make the room as comfortable as possible, and as dark as possible, and try and sit so the screen fills most of you line of sight, which means sitting closer if you have a small screen. then when you watch a movie you will see less of your room and hopefully get drawn in to the movie and forget about your surroundings. when i had my smaller 32" screen i used to move the sofa so close to the screen that when i stretched my legs out on to a footstool, my feet were just an inch or so from touching the screen. this is fine if you are watching alone, but not so good when watching with someone else, and it might look a bit odd when people come round to visit if you have the sofa up close. personally i moved the sofa back against the wall when i was finished and only used that technique when watching alone. now i have a 50" plasma i have the sofa moved right against the back wall so the room looks more normal, but also doubles up as a home theatre, albeit without any fancy trimmings. the screen and sound draw people in and distract them from the plain decor

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    unique, i take it that you are a fan of going to the cinema :D

stricko, if you look at some LCD models i.e Sanyo, Panasonic you should be able to get a good size image from a 3 metre throw.

10. ArsoN

ArsoN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ran a PJ (Epson EMP-TW10H) in a smallish room (currently renovating), about 2.9mx3.3m, and it's great! I would like a little more space, but with the sofa near the back wall the image fills your vision. It's a completely different experience to a small set, or even a plasma.

11. alarm man

alarm man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

im looking to do the same,the best colours ive seen is burgandy colored walls where the screen goes and the same on the wall opposite and a silver cream on the side walls with nice black leather cinema seats.....unfortunatley the two ive recently seen belonged to premiership footballers(ps.i dont move in those circles,work for the largest alarm co in the uk and we have plenty prem footballers as customers) i dont expect to get the same £20 30k effect but its a starter..