Tips and Advice for Dish Alignment .

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by John, Apr 23, 2007.

1. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Hi all , some of you may or may not recall I had a few problems with loss of signal , etc a while back .
    Having managed to borrow a suitable set of ladders , I swapped out the LNB and realigned the dish using the signal meters in the menu . I now have 70% & 60% signal strength and 40% quality on both inputs
    Since the Movie Channel Shake up , I have since discovered that I can no longer get Movies Premier & +1 . It took a while to discover this as one of my favourites scanned through 301 (movies1) and it now scans through 303 instead :confused: .
    Anyway .
    I know the Astra Satellites are in a cluster and I wondered if I would have more luck tuning into one of those ? And if so does anyone have the frequencies etc ?
    All the channels I was previosly having trouble with are now fine , go figure .
    So , anyone have some tips on dish alignment , and I'll have another go , once I get the steps again :suicide: . Don't really want to get Sky out just to repoint the dish , atleast not until I can get Sky HD :devil:

John

2. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You can't really depend on the signal meter menu to align the dish correctly. You really need a professional meter that can measure all 4 bands to be certain that you are actually getting signal on them (e.g. vertical high bands). You can try again and maybe just lift the dish or lower it slightly to see if the channels come back. Also try skewing the LNB as this is another important tweak.

Cheers, Franc

3. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Disconnect your DECT phone base station from the power point.

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Hi Franc , are you suggesting that having located the sats horizontally , its just a case of tweking it vertically ? Have adjusted the skew . I start to lose ITV if I change it further than it is now .
    Bit of a pain that its Premier thats missing , it doesn't start broadcasting 'til 1600

Still don't have the channels , have had DECT for longer than I have had Sky , never made a difference before :confused:

Cheers Chaps

John

5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Another question :D
    Do SKY broadcast over Eurobird1 ? I only ask because , looking at the Lyngsat charts , I can't get any of the channels broadcast on 11604 V SR 27500 FEC 2/3 . and these seem to be on eurobird

6. DavidMarq

DavidMarq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    These are the same channels that I have been having issues with since the Movies EPG swap around.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512897

It seems to me that the channels on 11604 V require a higher signal quality/strength than any other Sky channels. 11604 V also has the Anytime feeds which may or may not be related.

I have the channels back at the moment but I am sure the are still borderline.

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304

Yeah , read your post a little while ago , but couldn't reply to it ( was on a PSP) . Its odd that it just seems to be on those specific channels ( History , +1Biography , Movies Prem , +1) .
    After a bit more searching on Lyngsat it does appear that these channels are indeed broadcast on the eurobird1 satellite . Will do a little more searching in a bit to see if other channels are missing .
    I wonder where that Sat is in relationship to the others . May help in my realignment , again :rolleyes:

John

8. DavidMarq

DavidMarq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Astra 2A/2B/2D are 28.2 E and Eurobird-1 is 28.5 E

If I set up two recordings and the check the signal strength/quality I get much better values from the channels on Astra compared to Eurobird-1. This seems to be the root of my issues.

I may have to look at dish alignment also to get a better signal from Eurobird-1.

Maybe I just need a slight tweak to the east.

9. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304

I'll try that :smashin:

10. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    :D
    And I have , not even a lock when trying to record premier . Looks like a little tweak of the dish is further required . Bugger

11. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    In that case, as it will be far too difficult to power off the DECT phone base station for a minute, please ignore my advice until you've explored every other avenue. :rolleyes:

12. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    If you would care to include or perhaps read the first part of the sentence you have quoted . I stated I "still don't have the channels" as a direct answer to what you advised . So thanks for that or do I need to disconnect it again :nono:

13. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I read it carefully and nowhere did you write "I have disconnected it" or "I have done as you suggested".

Pity - it would have been a simple solution.

14. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    So as a direct response to you saying disconnect the dect , I state I still don't have the channels

nevermind