1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips - 2805 Set Up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chrisw, Aug 25, 2005.

1. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I'm due to take delivery of a 2805 this weekend and am after some hints and tips as how to get the best out of the amp.

I'm running 2 x B&W 603s at the front, 2 x 601s at the back and have a B&W CC6 in the middle. Currently there is no sub in the set up although I'd imagine there will be one soon :) !

I'm currently running a Panny DMR E55 as my DVD player and have an old grundig sky box (being replaced with Sky+ next month) too. I also have my trusty PS2 which needs hooking up too. I currently have a Sony TV with either S-Video, composite or scart inputs and also have a Panny AE 100 projector to feed.

Is there anything I need to be aware of when setting up the 2805 (any weird default settings) and is it worth using the microphone to auto-setup?

Is it worth routing any of the video through the amp?

Any help is as always greatly appreciated.

Chris

2. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    It's pretty straightforward to set up - you're well guided through the menu system. Make sure you connect it to a screen for setup purposes - it's much easier to work with the on-screen display than the 2-line one on the amp itself.

It's worth using the microphone for an auto calibration just to see how it works - you can always turn the correction off later if you don't like it. I think pretty much all of the default settings are fairly sensible.

The one thing you do want to do is find a small wood screw which you can use to remove the sleeves from the speaker terminals, which will then allow you to use banana plugs in them - push the screw into the black inner sleeve, give it half a turn to seat it, and then pull it (and hopefully the sleeve) out. I didn't notice that this was possible for 6 months, and have been kicking myself ever since!

I don't use it for any video switching - I have RGB from my STB and consoles, and DVI from my DVD player, all of which go straight to the screen. It doesn't seem to do much harm to S-Video signals when it upconverts them to component though - but it only does interlaced component, not progressive.

3. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The other thing which I noticed on another thread about having 'meaty speakers' and no sub was the cross-over point to the sub. Do I need to fiddle about with this or should it detect the speaker types and the lack of a sub and adjust it for me?

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I don't have a sub, but reviews (Audioholics) I have read suggest that the crossover point is the one thing it doesn't set for itself - you should choose an appropriate crossover point and set it before running the auto calibration. Why this should be, I have no idea - it can't be that difficult for the analysis software to work out where the sub starts to cross over, but it doesn't.

5. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    With the video you'd have to get RGB to component convertors or use the S-Video connectors for decent quality. That is assuming your Sony TV has component? If so I think it's worth it :)

6. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Change to the set up... I now have a Panny TH37PE50 arriving at the weekend. I want to reduce the number of cables going in (and out) of the screen. What's the best way to connect everything with the least amount of cabling - should I feed the DVD (component) and PS2 through the amp and then use the component out from there?

Also what outputs does Sky+ have?

7. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    I use the default crossover point (can't remember what it is) and it's fine. It was also the level recommended by the retailer.

Once you have run the auto set up, you may then wish to change the volume settings. For 5.1 speaker mode i increased the centre by +2db as in DTS/ Dolby most of the dialogue tends to be out of this speaker (For some reason the dialogue volume seems to be little lower on DVDs). In 2.1 speaker mode i reduced the volume of the subwoofer by 2db as i found the sub great for films, but too "boomy" for music. Assuming you use 2.1 for music and 5.1 for films, the amp remembers the different volume levels.

Good luck :smashin:

8. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Well, had the 2805 set up for about a day and a half and all I can say is ... wow. The difference in sound quality and delivery is really suprising - I thought it would be better, but it's just so much better.

The pure direct mode when listening to CDs is just fantastic.

I just need to decide what to do with my video side of things. I'm tempted to put sky, the DVD and PS2 through the amp to just have one cable (a component) going up to the plasma. Any comments?

9. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Sounds like a tidy idea. I have gone for the direct approach where sound goes straight to the amp and vision goes straight to the screen. BUT this is just based on my own logic rather than experience. So my dvd has opt to amp and HDMI to screen, cable box has RGB scart to screen and a scart to L?R sound to the amp, VCR has scart to screen and analogue int to amp.

I have read various postings to say that theres no noticable degrdation on quality by going through the amp. I wnated to use HDMI which this amp doesn have so i decided to do the 'untidy' option.

10. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Suppose I need to play around with the differing combinations and see what looks best. I wonder if a Scart - component cable would give a better output from sky + than S-Vid to S-Vid.

11. Godvrey

Godvrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris - if you don't have a sub, then the crossover point should be irrelevant. In the speaker configuration settings screen, you set your speakers to 'large' and set the sub to 'no'. This means that your speakers will receive the whole frequency range of the signal. The crossover point will only be used in the event that you have a sub, and will only affect those speakers set to 'small'. Essentially the crossover frequency is the frequency that the sub 'takes over' from the other 5 speakers in the event that they are small and are therefore not capable of handling the bass - but if speakers are set to large then they will receive all frequencies for that respective channel anyway. There is a further sub config option where you can set the sub to 'LFE or LFE+Main'. Again this is only an option if you have a sub, but basically it sets the subwoofer to either deal exclusively with bass sent to speakers set to 'small' and the special low frequency channel on dvd's (this is what the LFE setting refers to), or alternatively the sub will additionally deal with LFE signals sent to any channels set to 'large' aswell as those channels receiving the bass themselves (this is what the LFE+Main refers to)

The nice thing about this extra feature is that if you use your front channels to listen to 2 channel stereo and the speakers are big enough, you can set them to large, set the sub to LFE, and then when you play 2 channel music the sub won't kick in since it is only set to receive LFE signals and you don't get these in music. When you watch DVD's the sub will deal with the LFE signals and the bass of any surrounds/centre set to small, your mains will deal with their own bass and that's that. Problem is if you want the bass on your mains supplemented by a sub, but maybe that's not a problem.

Anyway - there you go.

Oh yeah - i'd also definatley recommend using the mic and running the auto setup feature. The 2805 has room EQ cabability, so it will adjust the gain on frequency levels to suit your room layout, size and furnishings. Once the setup has been run, you can review the eq settings and then you further have the option to enable or disable them for the various surround modes as you like. You can set pure direct mode to ignore the eq settings for example. It's a nice feature, and one which is part of this amps excellent review rating.

12. Godvrey

Godvrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Scart is supposed to be below S-vid in terms of quality isn't it? I think you'd probably end up dropping to the lowest link in the chain in terms of your suggestion i.e. scart

13. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Cheers Godvrey, very informative - the thickness of the manual combined with the amount of info it DOESN'T tell you, puts me off reading too much of it... I think Denon assume that anyone buying this sort of amp knows everything inside out!

Before I put all the cables in the wall I'm gonna try out the various combinations... I'd quite like to just have one set running to the plasma, but doubt that'll happen.

14. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,926
    In terms of a physical connector, Scart is poor. However, technically the RGB signal is superior to S-Video. Some people get better pictures on their TV using S-Video as opposed to RGB, others (majority I suggest) stick with RGB on the poorly designed Scart interface (assuming they do not have and do not use component connections)