Tip For Panny E30 Owners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ferris57, Feb 7, 2003.

1. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I found this on another forum and thought I would share it with you guys. Basically to help sitting through a 2 hour recording only to be left with a coaster, set the title of the disk first. If the disk is bad it will fail here, otherwise it will be fine and you should have no problems. O.k it doesn't stop coastewrs from happening, but at least you find out even before you even start recording!

2. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, Fella. I'll try that.

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well I've just had this work for me. I set the title and I got the u11 message and the machine shut down (for the first time!). I switched it back on, it recovered and then I set the title again. This time it worked.

Now Im not sure if this was a sign that I should not carry on with the disk, or whether by doing this it prevented it from failing at the end of copying.

Im recording right now and I'll let you know what happens. If the recording fails, I'll take it as a sign that if writing the title fails then the disk is a no go-even if it lets me write the title again successfully on another attempt. However, if it works and records o.k then it may have just saved me producing a coaster. Either way Ill post the results.

4. Sie

Sie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With my last disc purchases I had many U11 errors but the discs do work fine after recovery in all cases.

Unfortunately that meant that I had to record from the Tivo live buffer until the programmes reached the first ad break.

A total pain but at least they weren't totally useless.

Hopefully my next load of discs will work better.

5. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right, just finished recording after finally getting the disk to accept the title. Once the title was accepted the disk recorded and finalised just fine. No probs at all.

I went back to the forum I got this from and the guy has said that since writing the title first, as long as the disk eventually accpets it, no matter how many attempts, then he has never had a coaster from the resulting disk (no matter what media he uses). He also stated that he has yet to have a disk which has not finally accpeted the title.

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why do you need to put in a disk title

I usually just put in titles for each recording on a disk through the direct navigator menu

7. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    because it seems to identify any possible problem with the disk before recording. It also from my experience seems to resolve a possible issue meaning you dont get coasters.

8. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right I just had another disk which failed to set the title first time round. So as an experiment I didn't try and write the title again, I just recorded a short segment. It recorded o.k but when it wrote to disk when I stopped the recording it gave an error message and locked up. My first Coaster!!!!

Not only this, but when i went through the power on/off eject routine, I go the disk out but any disk I put in it gave an write protected error. and every time i tried to eject the new disk it jammed and went into recover.

So writting the title first Deffinately identifies problem disks before actually recording to them.

Eventually I solved this by putting an origional dvd into the drive and letting the player settle down before trying a dvd-r again.

So I went back to writting the title first and all is well again. This definately seems to work for me as I clearly have a dodgy batch of disks which normally result in coasters, but by writting the title first I dont have any problems(even if it takes a few attempts).

I can't recomend this enough to people.

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok i see your point

but ignoring this use

what is the use of entering a dvd title

when i try a finalised -r it only seems to display the names put in by the direct nav

10. Sie

Sie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob: The title is displayed at the top of a finalised DVD menu, y'know the blue coloured list accessed by pressing "top menu" or on initial insertion (fnarr fnarr!).

Ferris: Your tip certainly worked well tonight whilst recording something but as my current batch of discs has been inconsistent it could be coincidence but I'll continue naming discs first in future and see how it goes. Good tip! :smashin: :clap:

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes but if you have recorded a film what is the point of entering the title twice?

12. Sie

Sie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be one or all of the following reasons:-

1. Obsessive compulsive behaviour?

2. Neatness?

or most importantly if the tip is proven worthy:

3. To stop dodgy discs from failing?

Take your choice! :devil:

My own reason is that I don't really use it to record movies so setting a title is useful for me, especially for any multi-itemed discs.

13. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah bobbles there is no other point to entering the title twice.

The reason why I have suggested entering a title before making a recording is purely because doing so seems to suss out if a disk is dodgy and possibly fix it (as seems to be the case so far), before wasting two hours making a recording only to find out the disk won't finalise properly.

14. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bulkpaq here I come....

15. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers

I wasn't asking to be a smart arse

I was just wondering if entering the disc title had some other advantages

I've also only recorded a few films. I am using it to archive TV series. I haven't filled up a disc yet

One site I went to said the Bulkpaq Gen 3 were not suitable for video. I have gone for the Yellow Trax and the Blue/White ones 50 in a tub

I've not had a bad disc yet

How on earth can HMV etc justify charing £8 for one disc, it is beyond belief

16. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It s cool, I didn't think you were Bobbles.
    And yes the high street prices for dvd-r are ridiculous. I remember when I first got my cd writter they were playing the same game. They seem to charge what thy like until the average customer gets to know better.

17. Sie

Sie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries Bob!

Surely you can see the usefulness of a title if you are archiiving multiple shows on a disc?

Example: You have a disc with four 45 minute shows on each with a title and date or episode number. You then set a main title of the programme name and the inclusive dates or episode numbers as follows:-

Main title Eps 1-4

Programme title and date 1
    P t & d 2
    P t & d 3
    P t & d 4

As far as high street and branded disc costs are concerned they will fall, hopefully soon as more products become available. Considering that Panasonic will be releasing a further six models this year I think it could happen soon, fingers crossed.

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i can

I didn't realise the title appeared above all the others

one annoying thing with the panny

why didn't they use some of the other buttons on the remote for a 'space' etc

19. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the tip - will give it a shot.

Having played with both the Philips and the Panny I think the UI design could be vastly improved on what you can actually put on the screen of the disk your making.

Well that's the price we pay for being early adopters....

Mark

20. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah I agree. It wouldn't be too hard to let you add pictures for menu backgrounds. There could also have been a drag and drop system with a list of options. So you can chose text types and boxes with different designs ect.. really design a decent menu screen. The software would have been straightforward to produce and would have made a big difference.

But like you said its the price we pay. A few generations down the line and Im sure there will be something similar.