Tiny Sub - What Choices Are There?

2000£ vs. 4000£.

Is the SB2000 Pro max size you can fit? SB3000 is not much larger and still lot cheaper than KF92..
Yep, SB3000 is too tall by about half an inch and also I hate the look of the metal grill.
Are the KF92 significantly better than the SB2000? Sparechange on YouTube seems to rate the KF92 as better than the SB3000 and that they have almost as much extension as his PB16’s…

Yep, SB3000 is too tall by about half an inch and also I hate the look of the metal grill.
Are the KF92 significantly better than the SB2000? Sparechange on YouTube seems to rate the KF92 as better than the SB3000 and that they have almost as much extension as his PB16’s…

Not sure is he promoting certain brands to help sales as he probably gets the gear from friends hifi shop?

There is limits what such small sub can do. I have seen data for the earlier Kef R400b sub which is similar if not same sized and also dual opposite 9" drivers and 500w amp power. KF92 has doubled that (1000w) and new drivers. The R400 was great sub for music and performance from 40hz upwards was quite good, but below that it struggled. There is also in-room measurements for both SVS subs digging down to 10hz, but i don´t think any of these mentioned have that much output below 20hz.

You would get four SVS SB2000 Pros with the price of two KF92. Also Kef has shorter amp warranty (2years?) and the amp failures in past would give me little stress. It`s hard to know how KF92 really performs as there is no outside measurements to compare others. People test them in different sized rooms and smaller room surely helps with the room gain.

There is also JL E110, performance looks fairly similar to SB2000 Pro with extra headroom around the chest slam range. It´s small with mighty 10" driver and 1200w amp. 362mm x 343mm x 413mm HxWxD incl. feet&grill. JL is known to make quality subs with small size factor and superb gloss black finish. It`s premium brand so you will pay for that too. Then again JL has been making woofers long time and you won`t hear much of negativity from them. 1825£ gloss black, black oak 100£ less.

PowerSoundAudio (PSA) is coming with the small dual opposite 12" sealed model. It should be 14" cube. Finish won´t be as sexy as with JL/Kef, but knowing Tom it`s going to be special product for much lower price than Kef.

Not sure is he promoting certain brands to help sales as he probably gets the gear from friends hifi shop?

There is limits what such small sub can do. I have seen data for the earlier Kef R400b sub which is similar if not same sized and also dual opposite 9" drivers and 500w amp power. KF92 has doubled that (1000w) and new drivers. The R400 was great sub for music and performance from 40hz upwards was quite good, but below that it struggled. There is also in-room measurements for both SVS subs digging down to 10hz, but i don´t think any of these mentioned have that much output below 20hz.

You would get four SVS SB2000 Pros with the price of two KF92. Also Kef has shorter amp warranty (2years?) and the amp failures in past would give me little stress. It`s hard to know how KF92 really performs as there is no outside measurements to compare others. People test them in different sized rooms and smaller room surely helps with the room gain.

There is also JL E110, performance looks fairly similar to SB2000 Pro with extra headroom around the chest slam range. It´s small with mighty 10" driver and 1200w amp. 362mm x 343mm x 413mm HxWxD incl. feet&grill. JL is known to make quality subs with small size factor and superb gloss black finish. It`s premium brand so you will pay for that too. Then again JL has been making woofers long time and you won`t hear much of negativity from them. 1825£ gloss black, black oak 100£ less.

PowerSoundAudio (PSA) is coming with the small dual opposite 12" sealed model. It should be 14" cube. Finish won´t be as sexy as with JL/Kef, but knowing Tom it`s going to be special product for much lower price than Kef.
That JL is a single 10” driver and rated at -3db at 23hz? Surely that’s worse than both the SVS and the Kef.

Its effectively £1,700 for 2x SB2000 Pro or £3,000 for 2x KF92’s.

That JL is a single 10” driver and rated at -3db at 23hz? Surely that’s worse than both the SVS and the Kef.

Its effectively £1,700 for 2x SB2000 Pro or £3,000 for 2x KF92’s.

It doesn´t tell you whole picture. Audioholics review shows E110 is ahead of the older SB2000. How much better the new Pro model is we can only guess, but i think JL offers still bit more raw performance due to that beast driver and over twice of power. It comes with 850£ higher price tag though so it would need to also sound considerably better to be worth almost double the price. If there is one area praised often with JL it´s how good they sound so..

If you crave high output below 20hz you have to look larger woofers with larger boxes, these just can´t do that. Cost wise the Boss system under couch is likely much wiser thing for the ultra low stuff. Keep in mind the below measurements for JL is done outside so you do get higher SPL when in-room both subs corner loaded and duals co-located will add extra too. So well over 100db at 20hz (in-room) depending how far placed also. What is then enough..

The e110 is a mighty little beast. It manages to produce well over 110dB from 50-125Hz which would explain why it packs quite a thump with kick drums. On the low end it still manages a passing 93.3dB at 20Hz and even manages a passing 16Hz at 89.1dB. Not exactly records by any means but for a single sealed 10” driver it is more than respectable.

JL Audio E-Sub e110 and e112 Subwoofers Review

It doesn´t tell you whole picture. Audioholics review shows E110 is ahead of the older SB2000. How much better the new Pro model is we can only guess, but i think JL offers still bit more raw performance due to that beast driver and over twice of power. It comes with 850£ higher price tag though so it would need to also sound considerably better to be worth almost double the price. If there is one area praised often with JL it´s how good they sound so..

If you crave high output below 20hz you have to look larger woofers with larger boxes, these just can´t do that. Cost wise the Boss system under couch is likely much wiser thing for the ultra low stuff. Keep in mind the below measurements for JL is done outside so you do get higher SPL when in-room both subs corner loaded and duals co-located will add extra too. So well over 100db at 20hz (in-room) depending how far placed also. What is then enough..

The e110 is a mighty little beast. It manages to produce well over 110dB from 50-125Hz which would explain why it packs quite a thump with kick drums. On the low end it still manages a passing 93.3dB at 20Hz and even manages a passing 16Hz at 89.1dB. Not exactly records by any means but for a single sealed 10” driver it is more than respectable.

JL Audio E-Sub e110 and e112 Subwoofers Review
Hmmm Ok, though considering we’re now saying £1.8k for the JL vs £1.5k for a KF92 now the Kef is sounding like a bargain…

Hmmm Ok, though considering we’re now saying £1.8k for the JL vs £1.5k for a KF92 now the Kef is sounding like a bargain…
Kf92 is £2000 each.

Not if you can make a deal
Always great to make a deal but don’t be swayed purely on the saving.

please don’t dismiss the JL audio subs, they are perfect when size restrictions come into play, and you really need to listen to one rather than just go on specs. They are mighty impressive and their proprietary drivers are something special. They won’t go the lowest due to their size, but they are amazing at that “slam”

and yes I own 2 different JL audio subs 👌

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom