Tiny Speakers

Benoit Blanc

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for a significant upgrade on the Dali Zensor 1, in terms of audio quality, but with a similar footprint/size. Any ideas?

Tried QA 3010i, Dali Oberon 1 and they're much of a muchness.

Happy to spend up to £500 or buy second hand.

Rega RS1 - big upgrade from my Dali Zensor 1s

You could look at a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 1's or the newer Silver 50's which are certainly going to be a step up on the Dali's. If you wish to keep the sound familiar yet improved, you could go to the Dali Oberon 1's as they are the same width and only a few mm deeper.

What amplifier are you looking to pair your new speakers with

You could look at a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 1's or the newer Silver 50's which are certainly going to be a step up on the Dali's. If you wish to keep the sound familiar yet improved, you could go to the Dali Oberon 1's as they are the same width and only a few mm deeper.

What amplifier are you looking to pair your new speakers with

I had the Oberon 1 for a bit. They were more refined and smoother on the treble than the Zensor but the change in quality was subtle rather than significant. It didn't really justify the extra spend.

Are the MA's a definite step-up in quality?

(I have Cambridge Audio TOPAZ SR20 and Denon DM41 amps. I also use a BK XL200 sub, FWIW)

Cheers

... or these, tiny speakers but a huuuuge sound.

Leema Acoustics Xero bookshelf speakers | eBay

Liking the sound of those very much ... "Utterly faithful to source material, the Xeros are achingly expressive through the midrange, lending a real first-person immediacy to vocals and a weight of emotion that few rivals can come close to. Fast, precise and unquestionably controlled, the Leema's powers of resolution are quite startling at first. The integration between the two drivers is exemplary, and their faithful musicality encourages you to fritter hours away on long listening sessions." ...right up my street and definitely tiny too.

Added to my shortlist, thanks

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks. In what way do you find them better than the Zensor?
More musical in every way. The Dali's are accurate but they cannot match Rega's ability to produce speakers that make you want to listen to music - as has been said before they are toe tappingly good which is an expression of their pace, rhythm and timing. Just search for reviews on them and pick one - there are plenty and most reviewers seem to enjoy them as well. There is a later version the RX1 - depends on your budget as RS1s can be had for around £250-300 s/hand, RX1s are £800 new.

Liking the sound of those very much ... "Utterly faithful to source material, the Xeros are achingly expressive through the midrange, lending a real first-person immediacy to vocals and a weight of emotion that few rivals can come close to. Fast, precise and unquestionably controlled, the Leema's powers of resolution are quite startling at first. The integration between the two drivers is exemplary, and their faithful musicality encourages you to fritter hours away on long listening sessions." ...right up my street and definitely tiny too.

Added to my shortlist, thanks

I’ll happily agree with all that.

I sold my xeros to begin my experiment with Naim.

I shouldn’t have though, they really are astonishing... in fact, now that I remember, I’d say they are, pound for pound, the best (non active) speakers I’ve heard.

The Rega RS1 which I had at around the same time is also a wonderful speaker.

I could live happily ever after with both, or either.

The Regas are at least twice the volume of the Leemas, if that’s important.

More musical in every way. The Dali's are accurate but they cannot match Rega's ability to produce speakers that make you want to listen to music - as has been said before they are toe tappingly good which is an expression of their pace, rhythm and timing. Just search for reviews on them and pick one - there are plenty and most reviewers seem to enjoy them as well. There is a later version the RX1 - depends on your budget as RS1s can be had for around £250-300 s/hand, RX1s are £800 new.

Thanks larkone. If I can grab a pair of RS1 for £250 I will do, worst case I can stick em on ebay.

The RX1's are going on my list too. Ignoring the Whathifi review, other reviews make them sound great "It manages to deliver a performance that balances a genuine sense of realism and accuracy with an energy and joy that makes it a very rewarding partner across a huge selection of music." (hifichoice) I'm curious. Cheers

Does anyone have any experience of the Neat Iota or PMC DB1i relative to a cheaper bookshelf (like the Zensor or QA 3020i)?

I sadly don't no on these models, but I know some of the larger PMC speakers have quite attacking presence with music (or at least the one's I've heard represent that way to me). Some people because of this may find them a little to quick. Myself, I enjoy a speaker which has a good level of attack, but usually, they have to have a good amp behind them for control as the stop start requirements are one of the hardest thing for an amp to deliver to a pair of quick speakers as they can sometimes fall over and sound a little uncontrolled (that's is not just pointing at PMC speakers either as this applies to all speakers of this nature)

Does anyone have any experience of the Neat Iota or PMC DB1i relative to a cheaper bookshelf (like the Zensor or QA 3020i)?

I had a pair of PMC DB1i's for a number of years, partnered with an Arcam Solo Mini (my kitchen system). I upgraded both components last year to a Quad Artera Solus and PMC Twenty5.21's.

The bass output on the DB1i's were astonishing for the size, much fuller and richer than the Twenty5.21's. But the new amp/speaker combination produces a bigger, more open sound with much more detail. It would've been interesting to hear the DB1i with the Quad, but I swopped out both components and traded them in at the same time.

They are very good speakers and well worth picking up if you can find a pair at a good price. The sound is warm, they're not fussy about placement, they go very loud without stress and can fit anywhere due to their compact size.

I sadly don't no on these models, but I know some of the larger PMC speakers have quite attacking presence with music (or at least the one's I've heard represent that way to me). Some people because of this may find them a little to quick. Myself, I enjoy a speaker which has a good level of attack, but usually, they have to have a good amp behind them for control as the stop start requirements are one of the hardest thing for an amp to deliver to a pair of quick speakers as they can sometimes fall over and sound a little uncontrolled (that's is not just pointing at PMC speakers either as this applies to all speakers of this nature)

Never considered the concept of attack before much less picking amps that match the speaker attack. ***goes away and googles*** ...so quicker attack is more in your face, aggressive, less forgiving; slower attack is softer and more forgiving. Interesting.

The Zensor is reviewed as having "a potent sense of attack " which I prefer to the smoother sounding QA 3020i so the PMC might be right up my street (especially as my speakers double up for tv/movie use). Thanks for the pointers :thumbsup:

I had a pair of PMC DB1i's for a number of years, partnered with an Arcam Solo Mini (my kitchen system). I upgraded both components last year to a Quad Artera Solus and PMC Twenty5.21's.

The bass output on the DB1i's were astonishing for the size, much fuller and richer than the Twenty5.21's. But the new amp/speaker combination produces a bigger, more open sound with much more detail. It would've been interesting to hear the DB1i with the Quad, but I swopped out both components and traded them in at the same time.

They are very good speakers and well worth picking up if you can find a pair at a good price. The sound is warm, they're not fussy about placement, they go very loud without stress and can fit anywhere due to their compact size.

I've just been drooling over the Twenty5.21, the look stunning. Sadly, out of my budget even second hand. Thanks for the info on the DB1i's good to know about placement (I have a bit of an awkward layout!)... added to my shortlist, cheers

The Leemas have a similar sound to the DB1s, in that it is huge for the speakers size. But I thought the xeros to be even more accurate. (The DBs are a top class speaker if you can find any for a good price).

And fun. The Leemas can kick out a tune like nothing else at their original price and size.

Some cheaper ones here, potentially, as they didn’t sell first time;

Leema Acoustics Xero bookshelf speakers | eBay

Or, you could get these for about £350 delivered. Possibly a bit less.

LEEMA ACOUSTICS XERO SPEAKERS, OAK, BOXED, SUPERB MINT CONDITION | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The Xero's are on my list... the issue is any new speakers I get need to be white or light walnut unless I fancy a few weeks sleeping on the sofa. The Xero's do come in white though, I'm keeping my eye out. Wonder how easy the other colours would be to spray paint white?!

If the speakers are a flat/gloss finish rather than heavy wood grain then you can always vinyl wrap them (like they do with cars) and this can then be removed without damaging them if you either want a change of colour or want to pass them on and replace. I am pretty sure some of the vinyl car wrapping companies will oblige for a few £.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom