1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiny satellites

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BigScreenAl, Feb 10, 2005.

1. BigScreenAl

BigScreenAl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Can someone please recommend the definitive very small unobtrusive wall mount satellites for both front and rear. Looking at Bose Acoustimass, because I love the styling and size. But generally get slated for the performance and the fact they are powered from the Sub. Also Kef eggs but I think are a little large ...

Any ideas please, price not really an obstacle.

Many thanks.

2. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

A lot of people are raving about the Cantons at the mo - there is a BIG thread in the speaker section somwhere...

I use little Jamo A305 satellites along with a Jamo sub - I got it as the 305 PDD package. I'm very happy with those :thumbsup: - pic here . Maybe not as small as the Bose cubes but still very discreet.

Good luck,

Matt

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    CD10 cantons are slightly larger than BOSE AM6 (but have that bloody DAFT woofer box) available in black or silver and in clude wall mount brackets.....(£25 ea for BOSE) and much better sound....
    Other options are Anthony Gallo Micros 4" Round balls in 6+ colours......
    KEF (URGH nasty EGGS)2005.2 kit..........IF you are spending serious money there are some tasty options.............

4. arielshiran

arielshiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in my opinion is one of the following (choose based on the style and size as well as performance off course):
    1. Anthony Gallo Nucleus micro (or Adiva which are a little bigger but sound much better).
    2. M&K K5.
    3. Tannoy Arena.
    4. Monitor Audio Radius 90.
    Good luck.

5. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't get much smaller than the acoustimass so if they absolutely must be v small then that may be your only option. They do tend to get an absolute slating on this forum but i don't think they are as bad as people say. I have acoustimass 3 as surround backs and they are absolutely fine. when I first got them i set them up at the front in stereo to compare them with my main front speakers - eltax liberty fives.

Okay, we aren't talking the last word in hifi here, but the liberty fives are pretty good speakers and won lots of critical acclaim. Their midrange was singled out for particular praise by WHF and most people slate the acoustimass for lack of midrange. However, whilst directly comparing the two revealed differences in sound quality, there was really nothing terribly amis with that of the acoustimas IMO.

The acoustimas is not "powered" by the sub as it is a passive system, so you won't need to worry about plugging the "subwoofer" part into the mains. It is true that the cubes must be used with an acoustimas sub.

Maybe i need to clean my ears but i suppose the answer is to decide what you can accommodate and then compare a few.

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    You could always have a look at the mission cubes...although they are powered by the sub. For what it is worth...5 starts in What Hi Fi..although they have a tendancy to get excited with any mission stuff!!

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,980
    You may have answered your own question. One model I've recently demoed and subsequently bought for a friend, is the Definitive Technology set. Tiny satellites available either white or black. And a fairly respectable sub.

8. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a chance to demo the Mission M-Cube's yesterday, and I have to say that for normal CD music you can forget it - the integration of the sub and the sats was very poor, it was way too keen and way to obvious when it was cutting in and out. With movies however, it was a little better although even with the sub turned down as low as poss, it just seemed too eager to make up for the lack of mid range of the sats. I really wanted to like it though - the sub looks fantastic... damn it! It's a battle between head and heart....

9. XSIV ONE

XSIV ONE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had chance a week or so ago to dem Mission's cube system at Stratford Hi-Fi, Stratford and thought the integration was very good given the size of the satellites. If it's dicreetness and flexibilty of placement they are worth considering.

10. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Klegg Eggs?