Tiny 'nuclear batteries' unveiled

Tech News

Reaction score
A team of researchers in the US has demonstrated a tiny battery powered by the decay of radioactive isotopes.
More...

That is very cool, a battery that lasts longer than the kit it's used on, and the person who uses it.:cool:

I can see it now!

Ipod + Nuclear Battery = iTom Bomb

Mobile Phone + Nuclear Battery = The Futhers Bright, the Furtures Glowing

And although the whole idea hinges on the use of radioactive materials, the devices are safe under normal operating conditions.

Will never see public use, nothing stopping some maniac buying 1000 of these batteries and making something very nasty out of them!

The Forge

Will never see public use, nothing stopping some maniac buying 1000 of these batteries and making something very nasty out of them!

I think the fact that the public make silly presumptions like that without any knowledge or facts or any idea at all what they are talking about is a bigger threat to their widespread use than any real safety concerns.

Finally I can extend the range of my Sinclair C5 and fulfil my dream to drive to work in it with no pedalling.

And to think, people laughed at me in 1985.:thumbsup:

I think the fact that the public make silly presumptions like that without any knowledge or facts or any idea at all what they are talking about is a bigger threat to their widespread use than any real safety concerns.

You would be supprised what members of the public as you called me know about these things!

I know for one thing that the amount of power this battery produces is of no practical use, its made to power nano technology, nothing the general public would use in day to day life short of a pacemaker.

A nuclear battery large enough to power a device such as a mobile phone or mp3 player would contain so much radioactive material that it would never be allowed into the public domain.

The ONLY radioactive isotope that has been allowed widespread use is Am241, Americium is used in some makes of smoke alarms, when you put the battery in you will notice a radiation sign stamped into the metal protection.

Even though they only contain a fraction of a microgram of this material it would very dangerous to tamper with them as Am241 gives off beta and Gamma.

If you were stupid enough to try and purchase large amouts of smoke alarms I assure you, you would get a knock on the door by some very serious looking men asking very serious questions!

I was very tempted to take one of these apart when I was a kid, luckly I asked my science teacher about it before I tried!

FYI a lemon battery gives out far more power than one of these penny sized nuclear batteries.

The Forge
Glowing Green since 1986

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom