Tiny home cinema room!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by glock339, Jan 3, 2005.

1. glock339

glock339
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im about to move into a semi detached house and want to set up my first dedicated home cinema room. Im not up for going mad and building rooms within rooms etc, spending mega bucks and weeks on construction!

At the moment I have a Dennon 3803, 2 x B&W 602s for fronts ,1 x B&W LCR600 for center, an old Paradagm sub and Im after some new rears.

My problem is that all the decent sized rooms are attached to next door which just leaves a very small 12' x 8' x 7.5' room on the detached side! I dont want to upset the new neighbors but Im very worried the size of the small room just wont do. Has anyone out there got some advice regarding small rooms and if anything can be done to them such as sound absorbers etc??? :lease:

Cheers.

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The room dimensions are not too bad (according to my acoustic analysis software) but room modes (peaks and troughs of bass frequencies) become problematic in very small rooms. Listener / speaker placement will be critical.

I have the same B & W fronts in my demo room, but it is substantially larger and I suspect that they will not give of their best in the small room.

Piers
    www.homecinemaengineering.com

3. glock339

glock339
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I thought there'd be a problem with the B&Ws in that size room. I'm also thinking of getting a sim2 domino 18 or 20 which have a long throw, yet another spanner in the works!

I think I'm going to have to use one of the attached rooms and hope for the best, may be its worth looking into sound proofing??? I havent got a clue about the stuff and god knows how much that lot will cost! :rolleyes:

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Sound proofing is indeed quite a mine field. Transmission of bass frequencies is the problem area and the cure tends to be a solid structure, decoupled from the party wall. Probably worth investigating as the PJ needs more space also.

Piers

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Piers

Do you have a view on consumer software such as Cara. Can it help mere mortals with cash flow problems?

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Haven't seen the Cara package in action but have heard good things about it. I am a mere mortal also : ))

Piers

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Thankyou :)

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'm selling my Cara software in the classifieds at the moment. It's a powerful and useful programme and seems to be accurate enough with it's results to improve the sound. However it's not intuitive to use (glad I got the one with the training disc) and it doesn't have a large database of speakers so you have to programme them in yourself. If you put in the time with Cara it'll certainly help with your room.

9. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

I suspect your old sub is forward firing, so i would strongly recommend placing it on a solid base that is decoupled from your floor.

A very basic system like a patio slab and some spikes for your sub would be worth trying for about £12.

This is not going to stop the lower frequencies travelling, but it will reduce the problem quite a bit.