1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiny Focus 5000 50" Plasma TV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Maximus1633, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Maximus1633

Maximus1633
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I would not deal with Tiny if they were the last company on the planet. But that's only my opinion. See what others think.

3. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know it's not definative with regard to PQ but i am suprised a 50" display only has a resolution of 853*480

4. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,395
    I would agree with Nick.

In my (limited) experience and admittedly, not to do with Plasma's, Tiny are s*ite!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That would apply to the product as well as the company

6. Jimbeggs@aol.co

Jimbeggs@aol.co

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

spent the last month+ trying to sort out order with Tiny. They just wouldn't take my money although the card company authorised it. Finally, the guy (my sales adviser) who said at the beginning he would do whatever it needed to my the sale as quick as poss, told me coldly that there was nothing else they could do and he would terminate my order. Totally unhelpful with the sale so god knows what they would be like with after sales. Anyway, went to Empiredirect, got a Phillips 42PF9946 for 1750 incl. wall bracket and delivery. Ordered it wed, getting it tomorrow. No hassle whatsoever. The tiny order was up to 40 working days. The entire order at Empire Direct worked out £50 more. Lucky escape I'd say so, no, I wouldn't touch Tiny with a really big barge pole either. Try Empire Direct. Courteous, helpful, speedy. The biz!

7. Maximus1633

Maximus1633
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen i have seen for sale was in the Sun daily paper advert the res for the 50" was 1360x768 and it said the offer was till midnight tonight. The one on there web site is different. Forgot to bring the paper home with me. Phone order only.

8. yoofi

yoofi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiny .Com
    Time Technology Park
    Blackburn Road
    Simonstone, Burnley
    Lancashire
    BB12 7TG

SALE OF GOODS ACT DATED 1979 AS AMENDED 2002, ORDER NUMBER A0077756
    DEAR SIR/MADAM,

On the 12/10/04 we ordered a 42-inch plasma television from tiny.com.It cost us £1,398.99,We waited for 7 weeks to receive the plasma, when it arrived on the 29/11/04 it worked for a few hours and the next thing we knew it only had half a picture we found this unsatisfactory.

We telephoned tiny and they promised to send a replacement on the 7/12/04.My partner took the day off work for the delivery. Both her and myself called during the day to confirm that the new plasma would definitely be with us and where told that it had been dispatched and we would receive it before 7pm that day, but they did not arrive.

So to avoid any argument and inconvenience we cancelled the order on the 7/12/04.My partner at that time spoke to Mr David Oldman one of managers and he arranged a pick up date for 14/12/04,I explained to him that we had already got rid of the box the plasma had been delivered in as the plasma was fine when first switched on. He said he would arrange for another one to be delivered with the couriers that where collecting the plasma.

However when the couriers arrived there was no box and had not been told by tiny to collect one prior to collection. The carriers refused to take the plasma.

After another call to Mr Colin Horniman to complain about the poor service we had received, He agreed this was unacceptable and would call us that night to arrange another day to uplift the plasma. We are still waiting 9 days later to hear from him.

At the moment we have no television and cannot afford to buy another as we are still waiting for the money to be refunded onto our credit card that we are still paying interest on for the plasma we cancelled. We therefore want tiny to pay the £75 interest on the credit card, as they are responsible for the delay.

It would appear that tiny are deliberately delaying the pick up to avoid giving us our refund. We find this behaviour totally unacceptable, as we have been forthcoming.

We are now giving you 7 working days to refund our money and uplift the faulty plasma screen; otherwise this will be taken to the small claims court

Yours truly

Tony Hughes.
    tonhghs@aol.com

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    tony call your CC company right away forget small claims court (at this point) as CC company will have larger clout OH and TINY is owned by TIME they are useless and peddle rubbish most people i know have bought one item from Time/TINY and the computer store or whatever it is called and wouldn't again

10. justy75

justy75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OH DEAR OH DEAR,

All you "know it all cynics" have missed the bargain of the year so far.

I LOVE the way people are too quick to spurt out rubbish before they know the facts.

3000:1 contrast ratio
    1000 Nit
    The LATEST (Not the oldest) Samsung Panel (As used by Sony for instance)
    Brushed aluminium front
    Includes speakers, stand, input board with tuner, remote control

Far better than the LG panelled equivalent priced stuff on the market - check out the reviews.

I bought the Sony 42" that uses the same screen as this one. A friend of mine bought the Tiny 4200 Focus - The picture quality was the same, build quality was as good also. I returned mine back to Sony within 14 days and placed an order for the Tiny. Saved £1600 as the Tiny was £1299 + 99 Delivery - BARGAIN.

The reason they can do them cheaper is because they cut out the middleman. Other than buying a LOAD of screens from Samsung and getting a good deal on them, they get shipped from china straight through to Burnley where they are built at the Tiny factory. Whereas all the other brands have to buy the screens, usually send them to an assembler in China, who send them to the Asia distributor, who sends them to the European distributor, who sends them to UK distributor, who sends them to the retailer - each one taking their cut along the way....get the drift??? We end up paying FAR TOO much....

Take the gamble - (its actually the logical choice) and you wont be dissapointed.

And a big sorry to all you cynics who were too quick to pass judgement and have now spent £1400 or more on an inferior 1000:1, lower brightness plasma. You should have gone down to your local 'The Computer Shop' and saw for yourself.

11. justy75

justy75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my 42" plasma arrived after 4 weeks, ahead of schedule, and ever since I have been delighted with it. The order was placed at the computer shop in Poole, they were really helpfull and knowledgeable. They explained EVERYTHING before I bought, I felt comfortable placing my order with them and everything went fine. I got a txt message the day before it was delivered, and was delivered the following day. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them based on my experience with them, I guess its just like everywhere, some good and some bad.

The product however is fantastic and superb value (I took my Sony 42" Plasma back to the shop after seeing one of these! and now I have one I know I made the right decision). As they use the same Panel the picture quality is exceptional at this price - when I was looking around the £3K price point this was of the same quality.

Everybody makes their own decisions but as far as im concerned this is the best purchase I have ever made.

12. spoonthumbs

spoonthumbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Justy75

I can't believe I have seen your 'Positive' Feedback about the 42" Focus Screen. Hope you don't work for them ,and that you have had a good experience! I have ordered one - due delivery in next few days?? - anyway, the feedback on the posts has been awful, so was really thinking of cancelling order until I read your postings.

There has been feedback of sluggish screens and split pictures, whether Progressive Scan modes, cables, Sky +, etc. Can you confirm what the output is like on the screen please.

How easy is the wall fixing to put up also?

How did you get notified of your delivery date, as I ordered my via 'The Computer Store' and have had no messages / emails yet.

Thanks for posting your feedback.

Spoonthumbs

13. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Proof of the pudding and all that...

I wouldn't doubt that *some* people will be happy with these screens. In relation to the earlier posts, regardless of what glass they use, that is only part of the story. The electronics are a very important part of how a screen performs - and there is *no* evidence of any of the processing elements being of good quality.

If you look at other slightly more expensive panels (and ones even further up the market), they shout about containing Faroudja/Genesis/Pixelworks processing - things that are recognised as good processors (especially in the case of the Faroudja). There isn't even a whisper of the processing used by Tiny.

It would be interesting to see someone take one of these apart and see what is actually in there.

14. spoonthumbs

spoonthumbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham,

Fair point, perhaps someone brave enough will do so, or perhaps an employee of Tiny / Time could let us know the processing info.

Would really like to see an 'impartial' review by a Plasma Mag or Which? - Haven't found one at all yet. Any clues?

Justin

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    "Cutting out the middle man....." :rotfl: :laugh: :rotfl: :laugh: :rotfl: :laugh:

Cutting out the service, more like ! After reading the postings of yoofi and other poor souls that bought these TV's. A plasma panel is more than just a panel - you also pay for the electronics to process the video signal so that it can be displayed by the panel. If you buy a cheap computer, it will have a slow processor chip in it - the same goes for plasma TV's. Pixellation and poor lip-sync are symptoms of slow signal processing. It also appears that Tiny's quality control might not be that good, given the number of nasty failures reported.

16. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add my tuppence worth,

I agree with many people on here - I wouldn't touch Tiny with a barge pole. Anyone who has been involved with PCs for the last 10 years will know that they have a truly abominable reputation for bad quality products and deliberately evasive customer service, and that they operate extremely close to the edge in terms of trading standards.

No matter how great a bargain it seems - don't take the risk. Go to a good local dealer, pay a bit more, get peace of mind, a decent product and decent service.

Mat

17. THEROCK

THEROCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i purchased a tiny 4200 (42 in) focus package including dvd recorder and speaker system, table etc etc.

firstly the screen is made by samsung and the internal components are made by sumsung and pixelworks (and i know this for a fact!).

the screen is of very good build quality, the picture quality may not be as good as more expensive screens but i think you would have to pay around £2000 ish to equal it.

the speakers ive received are very very impressively built (dont know about sound quality because i havent received the amp yet, but expect it to be very good).

which brings me to my last comment.
    the product (in my opinion and experience) is good (could be called very good) BUT TINY ARE A USELESS COMPANY TO DEAL WITH, still waiting for my amp.
    help line will cost you loads ( usually 1 hour on hold) then not much use, staff are hopeless.

think carefully about purchasing from tiny, are you prepared for the hassle (buying a plasma should be an enjoyable experience (may not be with tiny!!)

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    see the Bought the tiny 42" thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173509
    In short they are very aware of a distortion problem and there proposed way around this is to connect sky via teh RF link instead of scart or other alternatives....obviously you will not get the best results via RF! the screens also suffer from solarisation which tiny will assure you is normal for a plasma!!!

19. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A telling comment. A company with lots of happy customers does not have a helpline which keeps you on hold for more than 1 hour. Mind you, keeping lots of customers on hold on an 0870 number can be quite lucrative - I have a friend who runs a company which credits a proportion of incoming 0870 calls against the company's outgoing calls. A great way to get your customers to subsidise your company :)