1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiny Focus 4200 42" Plasma TV Package

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AIKIDOSAM, Sep 2, 2004.

1. AIKIDOSAM

AIKIDOSAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody read the daily star 2/9/04 42" Plasma £1299 what do you think at this price must be a catch somewhere.Is it worth buying

2. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    saw it in the daily mail, but I can't find anything on line - the web site says a new HomeCinema division is opening Oct 04 -anybody?

3. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I saw it in the independent this morning and it intrigued me, it's low res but great value.
    I wonder what screen it is?

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I found one for £7 less!
    http://www.office-online.co.uk/frameset.asp?Searchstring=PM-4230&search=y&Go=Go

£1292 Vision PM4230 (LG) inc VAT

god knows what it's like, but it's cheap for a 42" Plasma

"Orion Electric's 42" PDP, ambitiously developed to gain a dominant position in the market of displays for home appliances, is a wall-mounted wide TV featuring high efficiency and long life. The product is designed, especially, for wide screen, high definition and handiness. Its brightness is almost equal to that of CRT, and provides so a wide angle of vision that it is possible to see at an angle of more than 160 degree from the left or right side. Therefore, it is ideal for a variety of applications such as teleconference in corporations or organizations, and information signboard in stations, airports museums, or department stores."
    Res 480 x 853
    1 x VGA input
    1 x DVI-Digital
    1 x composite video input
    1 x S-Video input
    1 x component video input
    2 x speakers output
    Audio line-in

Brochure
    http://www.chaseavdirect.co.uk/Pdfs/Vision-PM4230.pdf

5. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    The Tiny one comes with wall mount I think

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It'll be based on a dated korean panel. It'd be great value for an estate agent's window, but I'd suspect truly horrid as an HC display. The Vision display I've seen running was about like a 3 yr old Samsung, banding, solarization, no blacks, loads of noise. I'm afraid you still can't buy decent plasma technology for this money. This time next year you'll be paying maybe £1750 for a 7 series Panasonic though. The rate of price decrease is slowing. The problem is that the manufacturers throw away 80% of the finished glass, so until they get better at making it, there's little more to give on manufacturing costs. The way to make a cheap TV is to buy up old glass stock wherever it can be found cheaply, and base your TV on that. It's all Korean stuff because the Japanese are much too careful with stock levels to allow any wastage. That's why dealers are starting to run out of PW6 panasonics now.

7. Kopite84

Kopite84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me anymore on this? Is it worth it?

8. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For £200.00 ish more you can have an LG 42px11.
    Great plasma good PQ and higher resulution,and tons of conections.

Just my opinion.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And for £400 more you are into serious plasma land. I'd save my money for something decent. Size may be important, but it's not the only thing.

10. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    oh yes I forgot LG's are not serious. :rolleyes:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    IMHO no they are not. More Korean rubbish, way below latest Japanese standards.
    It was alright when they were way cheaper, but now they're not.

12. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Hmmm more Korean rubbish?

What make you an expert to judge the LG's?Have you see the latest LG model?
    Huge improvement then the previous models. For the monney and for someone can't afford the more expensive models the lg is the best for the price.

I checked the LG rz42px11 side by side with a panasonic and yes the panasonic had the better picture,but I tell you what that was not a big diffrence. The only BIG diffrence was on the price.

So LG given it a good go now to produse a good plasma for the monney and the last thing they need is people like you (coze you dont sell them on your shop) to rubbish them like that.

:smashin:

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My humble opinion is worth something because:-
    I have been is plasmas for 5 years, from near the beginning
    Yes I have seen the new LG's, before you did I have no doubt, I get LG desperate to flog me stuff, they invite me to press launches etc.
    Historically they have been less reliable, and have had much lower levels of customer satisfaction.
    I will not sell LG, or for that matter Hitachi, because of the reliability and customer satisfaction. It's true I operate at the higher end of the market, my customers have high expectations, but you can still achieve quite a lot without spending the earth, and I feel that the relative price difference of LG/Samsung/other Korean rebadges is now so small that it's not worth spoiling the ship for a hap'orth of tar so to speak. They are technically as far behind the top plasmas as they ever were, but the price difference is now 25% not 75%

14. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Ive actually owned the Vision plasma, and tested the new LG's and Samsungs quite thouroughly.

Forget what you see in showrooms. It means nothing.
    If anything, if I was going by what I saw in the initial showroom demos, I would have probably bought the LG. It seemed the most vibrant of the 15-20 or so plasmas in the store.

However, soon as I conected my Xbox, where I was more in control of what was on screen and how it moved, the Panasonic stood head over heals above the others.

I ended up getting my Panasonic 37" for £2000 including a 5 year warrenty, and thats the PA20 model with all inputs, speakers and tuner built in.
    I would have been a mug to get the LG after what I saw.

Panosg, MAW is giving out some solid advice and you rubbish it. Can I ask what experience *you* have with all the above plasmas to be able to dismiss an educated opinion so easily?

AIKIDOSAM, do yourself a favour and stay away from the Tiny, unless all you watch is bright, daytime TV. If you are a movie fan, then forget it.

15. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Let me add my support to MAW on the LG subject by using part of a plasma review
    on which plasmas to buy.

LG is specially noteworthy because they use an internal DCDi (Faroudja) deinterlacing. However, the picture quality of their plasma is so inadequate that the great inboard scaler is basically wasted on it...

Panasonic PW6 42" Plasma is now available for £1699 including SCART board
    why buy the worst, when you can afford the best.

16. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

@ bongpig
    Well I do apreciate Maw's opinion don't get me wrong,but is very strong statement to say that they are Korean rubbish.

I got no experience in plasmas but I can SEE pretty well to say that they are not rubbish.Is a budget plasma witch if someones budget is around that bracket is a good plasma to purchace.

As for rubbishing Maw,no I am not.I am not here to start a argument with anyone.....hell is a plasma forum...lol.

As for getting the panasonic for the price you mention is not just for the plasma you have to pay,but for a good HTS coz they are not coming with in built tuners ,stand / wall bracket and the rest,all that makes it pretty high in price.As for the LG does coming with a resnoble built in tuner,so on later date if you can afford a better hts then you get a better one ,and for the £1500 I pay for it in opinion is a good starter plasma.

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your funeral, mate. Analogue TV is horrid on almost any plasma, including ones at 3x the price, the new LG has the same old troubles, solarization, colour bleed, lack of contrast. The panasonic it's true needs a wall mount at 60 ish, though it comes with a VGA/component input, which if connected skilfully might be all you need, it depends what else is in your system. We always specify kit to minimalise this cost. So £1760 can be enough, but yes, the extras cost more. But then the LG is poorly specified to link in to a AV system, if you just want the cheapest plasma TV and sod the picture/future proofing, sure, why not.

Edit in respect of Horny's post below, I refer only to plasma in my denigration of the Korean nation, it's what we are discussing here.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I feel i must comment here:

Cheap plasmas are just that, and starter plasma???? whats that all about, spend £1500 and be diappointed every time you switch it on or spend £2k and love every minute of veiwing (not so long ago a 36" CRT cost £1500+) Panny for £1700 is incredible VFM far better VFM than £1300 for a cheap commercial display....
    Most peoples have a tuner (sky, Sky+ or freeview) not built in to cheap plasmas..... Korean rubbish is a tad harsh as IMO LG make some great kit as do the koreans in general, plasmas are not one of their strongest points...
    Also most people have surround systems (on here) so the benefits of a tuner and speakers are minimal....

19. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Thanks for your input.
    So it should be ok if is running with sky +.
    Plus I will have zinwell bright view conected wich it will make a big difrence to the pq i believe.
    The LG sells for £2000 in the shops but I found it for £1500 on online shop.

I know I know that is not on panasonics high standards but is a good plasma IMO.
    When I say "starter" I mean someone getting in to the plasma world with not a big sum of monney to spend on one of this expensive ones.

I have see the £1700 panasonic with 1500 LG side by side and the PQ beetween the two does no justifing the extra dosh and the loss of the speakers,and the loss of the extra conections of wich Panasonic don't have.

20. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    and what were they playing on the 2 side by side plasmas, with no difference in PQ?

Let me guess, Finding Nemo .............. 40 colours tops on screen at the same time.
    There is a reason they all show that cartoon. All cartoons look great on any plasma.
    When you get it home and start watching a movie or east enders, you will throw up
    at the sight of the "max headroom" faces all the peeps have.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I doubt either was displaying anywhere near its potential image. its your money mate sky is actually very very hard to right with a plasma as it is not a high quality source, getting a good DVD pic is far easier than than a very good DVD pic. if you are usingly mainly sky then the extra is far more useful. i am not sure what difference a brightveiw will make to the LG, very little on a PW6. IScan HD can make a difference but not worth £1000 imo on an SD plasma, on an HD plasma yes. look at it another way, with panny you get exactly want you need in terms of inputs tuners speakers etc and pay for them individually LG bundle a load of stuff you dont necassarily need or want in the box so you pay for it anyway. Panny with tuner box and speakers is over £2.5k so the comparable difference is £1000 but if you only want a screen the panny is far better value. so when you go like for like there is huge difference......
    Have a search for Techwood plasma the whoole debate was covered about six months ago!

22. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok you maybe right...You made me think now.

Ok so here in my problem then.
    I ordered the LG last friday on the phone and pay with credit card.
    The plasma should be with me on wednesday.
    What is the chances of me cancelling the order tomorrow morning??And then I can order the panasonic from av-sales.

Your advise on that please..is it two late to cancel my order?

23. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What they where play was from sky box.

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Under distance selling regs you can return within 7 days for what ever reason, suggest you phone them let thyem know, be nice about it....... you will probably have to pay retrun courier..... but better than having a plasma you regret buying every day starring at you from the wall..... What model number LG have you ordred??? and where are you based?

25. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you know if AV-Sales got in stock i will order right now

26. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    is the lg rz42px11 and i am in somerset

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PX11?? where from?
    AV-sales should have stock, let me know exactly what you have and i should be able to let you know what you need.

28. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok so here we go.

I am very glad for starting this argumend today becose you lot made me think twice.

I will have to call the place I ordered the LG, tomorrow morning and cancell my order.

I have ordered the panasonic TH-42PWD6 from av-sales just now.The offer was too good to miss as it was only £100.00 difrence from my LG.
    I know I know you all think I am a plonker arguing with you lot about the panasonic and the LG but what change my mind was someone quoted "but better than having a plasma you regret buying every day starring at you from the wall..... " . Yep he is right.

So I thank you everyone for your input.

Maw like hornydragon said.LG makes some great stuff so Koreans are not that bad. If I knew that the panasonic was on that deal when I ordered my LG I would definetely gone for the panasonic.I haven't change my mind about the LG I still think is a good plasma for the monney,But hell if panasonic is only £100.00 diffrence offcource I go for the panasonic :smashin:

29. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    You can cancel now at no cost.

1) Phone up and cancel, quote distance selling laws if they try to argue (confirm with email)
    2) If they try to deliver, refuse delivery

The couriers do not charge return costs if you refuse delivery.

30. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A wise decision :thumbsup: Its people like Horny and Maw who make this Forum the place it is, If i hadn't read people opinions here b4 my purchase i would of probably of done exactly the same as you as many of my mates have.
    happy veiwing :cool:
    Quattro