Question Tiny Budget. Speaker shoot-out recommendation?

django68

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all - new here,

I hope you can help. I recently had to replace my old NAD Amp 3130 with a Sony DH190 receiver. I currently have old Wharfedale Diamond 410 speakers which are also in need of replacement, so I was looking at the following speakers as all fall within my tiny budget:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
Wharfedale diamond 220
Cambridge Audio SX-50

I mainly listen to ska/reggae [so bass heavy music] but also Beatles, Kinks, Motown, Elvis Costello & 2-Tone among others. I rarely listen at really loud volumes so I am after something that will give me a decent enough sound at more moderate levels and hopefully an upgrade from my battered 410's.

Thanks
Andrew

If you could stretch a little bit more.. the £129 Cambridge Audio SX-60 would probably be the best of the speakers on your budget with the sony.. The 60 is a huge step up audio wise to the still very good 50.

As for the choice of the 3 you have listed... it would be the Cambridge followed by the 220.

The sony is quite a brightish amp with not much on the lower end.. so the Cambridge will add the lower end nicely

Thanks. I was looking at the SX60s' too, but have no real experience of Cambridge equipment. I actually like the retro 60s/70s look of those; not everyone's cup of tea looks-wise I'm sure.

The Cambridge speaker is essentially a cheaper Monitor Audio Bronze. Big bottom end and a nice overall mid top. for the price.. very good. sure you can do better but your spending more

I’d definitely buy secondhand if money is tight.

I just got the Cambridge X60 and they are absolutely perfect with the Sony for my listening needs.

I could have gone the 2nd hand route, but to be honest, living in a flat where I've suffered from problem neighbours I don't want to cause any problems for others like I have had from Miss Bose/DnB next door LOL.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Orobas.

Last edited:
Glad you found the Cambridge a good match. It's a good first step for the limited funds :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom