Tiny better than Panny?

S

superpixel

was passing Tiny today...had some DVDs in my bag.....just for fun, i popped in to see what was what

now i would never buy a printer let alone a plasma TV from Tiny, but all im talking about here is PQ and PQ alone. i knew nothing about the Tiny deals or what panels they used etc, and fully expected the picture to be 'surpisingly passable, but crap nonetheless'

but the picture i saw was superb. bright, luscious, colours that were accurate yet sizzled off the screen...inky blacks...a shedload of detail in dark scenes...perfectly fluid and clean motion...and crisply rendered text. i cant think of any way in which a Panasonic PWD outperforms this plasma. the Tiny is quite a bit better in all departments.

now, when the salesman said it uses the latest Samsung panel, it came as no surprise....seen as I think I've spotted my trend in loving these panels. Would anyone who has actually seen the Tiny like to comment? Please, only those who have genuinely seen only to pass judgement. I'm desperately trying to hunt down a picture as good but in a decent & stylish TV package (the Philips 42PF9956 does not use this Samsung panel as I first hoped) - any help please?

Oh yeh - good point.

I appreciate a lot of people have got faulty sets, incorrect models etc. But please, only comments on the fully working, proper models with the true specification (like I saw in store today), lest it deteriorates into (quite justifiably) angry customers letting off steam.

It would be nice to hear some positive comments about the Tiny screens :)

its not april fools day you lot!!!

i have had a tiny 4200 (which had no screen pq faults) and it was reasonable quality but now i have a panasonic pwd7 and it is in a completely different league.
panny is much sharper, a good example is the sky digital guide banner at the bottom of the screen, on the tiny it was very fussy, on the panny very sharp.

the only way these two can be compared is on price because the panny is only slightly more money.
example:

TINY.
tiny 4200 screen, wall bracket (fixed), plasma table, three year warranty, dvd recorder, surround speakers, sub, amplifier, internet box. delivery £2450.

PANANSONIC.
panny th42pwd7bk screen, wall bracket (tilting), three year warranty, js converter, dual input board and delivery £1900
panasonic scht1500 surround system(dvd recorder/hdd recorder, amp, reciever, speakers,and sub) and delivery £575
glass av table from argos £70
PANASONIC TOTAL £2545

so my panny system cost about £100 more than tiny system, any differences??
disadvantages in panny system; glass table is smaller (quality equal) but using wall mount. no internet box (which wasnt all that good anyway) and panny system speakers dont look as good.

advantages in panny system: wall mount is a tilting one, hdd recorder, much better quality generally especially the picture, and dealing with a good company like av sales.

im pretty sure the original post was a joke, but i have to have my say.
the above packages are based on my purchases.

i assure you this is no joke! ok, even with my (maverick, some might say on here) views....id have thought i was taking the p*** - but im not

whatever Tiny it was I saw today, is SO MUCH CLEARER at rendering graphics, banners and texts that the Panasonic panel (note: this is without 2 grands worth of external scaler) doesn't even begin to compare.

That reminds me - if you think this is a joke..wait until you see what revelations i have planned on another plasma I've checked out lately!

PS I went to the optician 3 weeks ago! true.

And you expect us to believe that you are not a Tiny employee? It seems that you have figured out how to use a PC on the internet, congratulations.

Damage limitation comes to mind here..........

I'm sure many people are thinking the same thing....

just out of interest, did this 'so much clearer' plasma have finding nemo on at the time, because thats just about the onlything i found looked any good on the tiny screen i had.

i think brock landers has hit it on the head,
are you in sales dept ???

are you trying to tell us that the tiny shop had sky connected to it???

if you are a genuine person (not employed by the company) and are serious as you say you are, i think your standards may lack behind most, mine at least.

I own both a PW7 and a tiny, the panny is better in every respect. The tiny is acceptable as a second screen and is fine for gaming (there seem to be no issues with burn or image retention) but it is not good enough IMHO for a main screen.

superpixel (whatever his reasons) has the right to express opinion, the rest of you are intelligent enough to use his information in whatever way you see fit. perhaps the display models are superior to the ones actually sold.

the good thing about having cheaper (even if the quality is low) units is that it helps bring down the price of the overall technology, to the point where we can all afford the top quality screens.

Superpixel...Which Tiny model plasma are we talking about here?

OK, I definitely dont work for Tiny! LOL

Right, in my hastiness I thought all Tiny models were the same under the hood, but theyre not. The one I saw was based on the latest 42" Samsung panel (touting 3000:1 contrast, 1000:1 brightness etc)...and was £1300 for the TV with detachable stereo speakers, and £2100 I think for a surround sound and DVD recorder package. I honestly couldn't tell you what model they call it, nor did I check on the back for serial/model number. It was in Cambridge (I dont live down south, just had a meeting for the day) if anyone local wants to check it out and report back!

I was just talking about picture quality only, out of a bit of fun & interest, and because I want to find a 42" plasma TV which can display a picture like the one I saw. I thought I made this clear. Obviously the Tiny as a whole product/shop is a heap of junk...I don't think I pretended otherwise in starting this thread. I am not advocating that anyone buy a Tiny plasma!

No, of course they didn't have Sky connected - I never said they did. My only test was via DVD, where I compare the same menus, text, buttons and still and moving credits. Based on this, the Tiny, like most, wasn't brilliant, but was a lot clearer than the Panasonic. Although this test does not necessarily equate to a better picture overall, of course - there are certainly more important things at play when watching moving images. Amazingly, the Tiny does those all better too.

So its interesting people have found otherwise...either the old packages used different panels, Tiny sell different TVs to the ones they display, or our eyes are susceptible/appreciative of different things...

At least some people are telling their honest opinions, and exactly HOW the panasonic is better to their eyes....I don't like this "ive seen it, the panasonic is a much better picture" opinion I see too much on here for my liking....give some reasons and examples why! so thanks for those with the feedback already - keep it coming!

Oh, and of course I didn't use Finding Nemo....

Using Monsters inc doesn't count either... :D

superpixel said:
The one I saw was based on the latest 42" Samsung panel (touting 3000:1 contrast, 1000:1 brightness etc.

You probably saw a Tiny panel based on the Samsung PPM42S3Q (Samsungs V3 generation panel) which is a decent panel - I've had the pleasure of viewing it for a few weeks.

The earlier Samsung priduct based on the PPM42S3, is what Tiny probably uses in the majority of their panels. It is quite dire! Lots of false contouring - a thoroughly bad panel!

A new V4 generation Sansung panel is coming out soon, and that one will probably make Panasonic sit up and take notice!

Panasonic indeed know what's coming from the Korean makers and have already dropped prices to preempt the inevitable ...

A deluge of Korean and even Chinese panels entering the market this year with some really creditable offerings.

Gussie :)

RuddyRoad said:
It would be nice to hear some positive comments about the Tiny screens :)
I too saw these panels in Milton keynes and I thought the picture quality was fantastic but and a big but was the experience of people who have had major problems with these screens and would not take the chance on grtting one I for one will stick with the panny pwd6

Gussie said:
Panasonic indeed know what's coming from the Korean makers and have already dropped prices to preempt the inevitable ...
Where do tou think they get the PDP Production facilities from? Matsu****a sell there old PDP facilities to the koreans after 2-3 years.............While Korean panels are getting better they still lag behind the Jap panels....especially at the increasing popular 50" + and Hi-Def panels................ Panasonic basically stopped development of SD plasma at the PW4 series and since then have just been cost cutting (putting pressure on Korea) i would expext 8 series to be the last SD PDP panels pehaps 9 from Panasonic (pioneer already stopped them and Fujitsu gone down Alis Road so only Panny group and NEC making SD PDP in Japan and NEC PDP have just been bought buy Pioneer...................

Superpixel: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :clap:

You buy what ever you think is best....(if you like Samsung panel why not buy a samsung?)

Just dont cry when you see a proper plasma.............................

as hornydragon said, buy whatever you think is best for you.
i HAD a tiny (top model) and wasnt 100 % satisfied, now i am with my panasonic.
just out of interest it was the tiny store (computer shop) in cambridge (local to me) where i looked at the tiny screen before i bought it, and i was impressed as you are, BUT when i got it delivered i found it a whole lot less impressive (im not talking faults), everybody said dont buy a tiny, and now i can see why.
i think it could be used as a second occasional use tv IF you received a completely fault free example (which appears to be very unlikely).
you pays your money, you makes the choice.
DONT DO IT.(in my opinion)

superpixel said:
was passing Tiny today...had some DVDs in my bag.....just for fun, i popped in to see what was what

now i would never buy a printer let alone a plasma TV from Tiny, but all im talking about here is PQ and PQ alone. i knew nothing about the Tiny deals or what panels they used etc, and fully expected the picture to be 'surpisingly passable, but crap nonetheless'

but the picture i saw was superb. bright, luscious, colours that were accurate yet sizzled off the screen...inky blacks...a shedload of detail in dark scenes...perfectly fluid and clean motion...and crisply rendered text. i cant think of any way in which a Panasonic PWD outperforms this plasma. the Tiny is quite a bit better in all departments.

now, when the salesman said it uses the latest Samsung panel, it came as no surprise....seen as I think I've spotted my trend in loving these panels. Would anyone who has actually seen the Tiny like to comment? Please, only those who have genuinely seen only to pass judgement. I'm desperately trying to hunt down a picture as good but in a decent & stylish TV package (the Philips 42PF9956 does not use this Samsung panel as I first hoped) - any help please?

Surprisingly passable, but crap;PQ is amazing...but don't buy one..

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom