Tiny 7.1.6 room idea

Mashie Saldana

Good luck fitting 77" into that sized room with the speakers, maybe if you fold the TV lol.

I'd say 50" for that room.
You will have 10cm spare on each side of the TV so the LCR are probably best off below.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
You will have 10cm spare on each side of the TV so the LCR are probably best off below.

Not enough space for the speakers to "breathe" cramming speakers, get small smaller TV, something like 3030i size or similar with SB1000 would be my recommendation.

Hell even a good soundbar, certainly won't need sound output needed from powerful amps.

Mashie Saldana

Not enough space for the speakers to "breathe" cramming speakers, get small smaller TV, something like 3030i size or similar with SB1000 would be my recommendation.

Hell even a good soundbar, certainly won't need sound output needed from powerful amps.
Get speakers that are front ported like the Monitor Audio A10's I mentioned earlier, jobs done. You don't want speakers far off walls anyway thanks to SBIR.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Get speakers that are front ported like the Monitor Audio A10's I mentioned earlier, jobs done. You don't want speakers far off walls anyway thanks to SBIR.

Or sealed box, NHT etc

dts197

Distinguished Member
83" for 2.4m viewing distance is absurd.
This comment is absurd. I sit 2.4m from a 77" and could absolutely go much bigger. Just because you're happy with smaller/lesser products, no need to keep trying to put others off. I suppose your idea of immersion is sitting 5m from a 32" tv.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
For a "kids" size box room I'd say less is more, 7.1.6 and 77" would be stupidly over the top. I've go 2.1 with 50". And if wanting surround, in wall for a 4.1 system.
There would be no point doing as you suggest 🤣

4.1 and 50” TV? 🙄🤦‍♂️

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-181346.png
    Screenshot_20220103-181346.png
    718.3 KB · Views: 47

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Dealing with constructive and destructive interference will be difficult in a room that size, I'd also opt for more than just one sub, I'd be 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 but hey what do I know I'm 7.4.0 !

HAL2016

I have built a 7.2.4 speaker set up in a room that is only about a meter larger in both directions and it sound amazing, so it can be done

I have a 2 seater recling sofa in there as my wife is quite happy to watch tv with me and even the odd movie as long as we star befor 8.pm :)

I would plan on lots of sound treatment absorption be the main facter as there is not enough space for diffusion to work
In a small room the sound will bounce off many walls before it quietens down, so you really need to control those first reflextion points

I blocked off the window so i could hang sound pannels and speakers where ever i liked. That was a big help as i was able to orienate the room anyway I liked. either side of the sofa we have coffe tables for remotes bits and bobs and of course our wine glass's :) if we had to walk round them to get to the sofa it would be very tight but as it is now we just walk in sit down watch and then leave

I will be adding more treatment in the near future as well as bass traps

my way of looking at this hobby is of course we would all like purpose built rooms with rows of seating with a trinov pre/pro powering some high end power amps feeding some top of the range speakers but back in the real world most of us can not afford that but we can do the best we can with what we have

So I say go for it buddy just rember you will need plenty of sound treatment pannels, and enjoy :)

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
FWIW this is my TV. 77” OLED.
5.2 system
3 x MK IW150 LCR below the screen and a pair of V12 subwoofers in the cabinetry.
Surrounds are MK IW950’s. Processing Lyngdorf MP40 with Yamaha amplification.

I sit 2.7m away.
61D32FC4-4040-47CA-9095-F907EA6DEB0D.jpeg

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
6 atmos seems unnecessary. I don't mind the idea of 7 base channels though. But only if you've got lots of thick absorption in there, and the speakers are directed at the MLP.

83" for 2.4m viewing distance is absurd.
It's a bit small, but it's hardly absurd. 83" diagonal is 183.7cm wide. From 2.4m that's a 42 degree viewing angle. It's fine.

Cherrywood

Wire for 7.4.6 (4 different sub position for flexibility) but start with 5.1.4 set up.

Speaker cable is cheap and when you get the itch to upgrade further, possibility to add quickly.

Maybe also try single sub with a bass shaker in the arm chair?

Rather than only focusing on amount of speakers, I would focus on getting the room infrastructure perfect. Kit hidden away, no distracting noises or leds.
Full black out and most importantly temp controlled. Room that small will soon get hot on Summer evenings.

barnitto

Thanks everyone (well nearly everyone). I was only worried about the screen size from a Tv perspective, was worried it might be too bright, I could fit an 83 inch or a 90inch PJ screen, I only landed on 77inch TV because of cost. be honest I think the PJ might be the key to the immersion. I have watched a couple of films in the dark in my living room and it makes a big difference having a floating image with few distractions, can only imagine that it gets better with a huge projected image.

Some form of acoustic treatment was always part of the plan but 50mm panels on both side walls would seriously eat into the room. Was thinking about making a load of 25mm panels using RWA45 but not sure that would make enough of a difference.

Massive kudos to those suggesting getting multiple subs in that small room! Love the ambition! REW room sim was telling me a single sub would give me a great response.

An aspect that I have tested out was that the small room was furthest away from the rest of the living space so I thought it might be better from a volume perspective in the rest of the house. It’s not as good as I thought. I think the suspended floor adds an additional issue. My lounge has concrete floors and block work walls all round.

The plans for the tiny room might have to go on the back burner for a little bit due to work issues but with a little bit of work I might be able accommodate a projector and drop down screen in the lounge.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom