1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiny 42" Plasma TV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by brado, Nov 23, 2004.

1. brado

brado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone bought a Tiny.com 42" Plasma TV with all the extras for £1299?
    Seems very cheap? Screens are made by Samsung; LG and Panasonic.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    er they arent panny screens.............. have a search has been discussed (waste of time money) just buy the LG or samsung if you want a cheapie

3. Hickee

Hickee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased one of these screens on the 28th of September, the money was withdrawn from my account the next day. I've yet to get confirmation of the order through the post (which I was told would be here within 7 - 10 working days) and the delivery company were extremely unhelpful on the date of delivery. (Friday 19th November) I had to carry it up 2 flights of stairs myself as he refused to leave his van in the carpark due to fear of vandals.

The actual quality of the screen to me is extremely low, cable TV with a Monster AV cable priced at £60 looks like a dodgy film you buy at the market, whites are extremely bright, colours are washed out and darkness in scenes is something to laugh at, for example, deadwood last night on sky one in any scene in a bar or outside at night means you can see their faces fine but forget about seeing any detail on their clothes unless you turn up the brightness and contrast, however you must change them back as soon as the scene changes as it's then far too bright. Grey suits also had a very apparent green tint to them also, as did the walls in the background (even with the colour set very low) Any motion by the camera panning makes the screen one huge blur also, Battlestar Galactica is almost unwatchable thanks to this.

Playing DVD's through my Xbox using microsofts advanced scart lead is hardly any better, picture quality is slightly more acceptable but has lots of the same problems I mentioned above. Playing Halo 2 I had to turn the brightness up to 96 and contrast to 80+ to even see what kind of gun I had in my hands.

Watching The Abyss at the moment on sky movies, there's a very apparent flickering in the screen (refresh rate?) and the blur is incredible due to the shaky cam scenes when the rig is hit by the crane that falls from the ship above.

This was my first plasma screen, really wish I had found this forum before purchasing it as it would have saved me quite a bit of cash, luckily my Mother finds this screen fine and has offered to buy it from me for about 1k, so not all is lost :)

Basically, be very very wary about ordering one of these.

4. brado

brado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Thanks for they comprehensive reply. I hope it will help others not to be swayed by "Tiny.com " adverts. I will not buy one.

They have had been on "Watchdog TV" over the very poor service given for their faulty computers.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215