1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tint Setting On Sagem HDD45

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by khanman, Mar 15, 2005.

1. khanman

khanman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can this setting be altered? My TV is currently set at 50 and whenever I try to alter it up or down in the appropriate menu, the setting will not change. Does anyone else have this problem or have I missed something in the manual?

Thanks......

2. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Khanman, according to the manual Page 13, the setting is for NTSC video playback, i think it must be a missprint as it referes to it as Tone Setting.

3. khanman

khanman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Philip 41, one less thing to worry about.....

4. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem. How are you getting on with your set.

5. pwrslide

pwrslide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had my hd45 for 2 weeks now the picture on dvd through a samsung hd745 is very good.But the picture through sky is poor,when the picture scans across the people or objects distort badly.when i had sky connected to my 36inch phillips crt the picture was very good think i might have made a mistake buying it.Any way got a engineer comming out to have a look.

6. khanman

khanman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philip41..

Initially I thought the set was absolutely superb, but then again it was in comparison to the 42" plasma that I bought and later returned to Tiny.com. What a nightmare of an experience that was! However, over time I am seeing things that perhaps I wasn't seeing before. Unfortunately, I have to endure Eastenders, Coronation Street, etc most days of the week to keep the other half happy and to be honest, with the exception of the shearing problem and non existant contrast on the Tiny plasma, the blurring, solarisation or whatever else you call it on peoples faces during movement on these particular programmes viewed through Sky can on times be just as bad as it was on the Tiny plasma, which I find very disappointing. I know most people say that it is down to the poor feed or signal but then you never see these problems on the old CRT tvs. I, like most of us, are currently awaiting a fix on the green tint problem when viewing a DVD through component cables. To get over this I have connected VIA DVI-D to DVI-D and this shows no green tint at all.
    I suppose I was hoping that after my experiences with Tiny.com and after much research into DLP and in particular this TV that the set would be perfect with none of the blurring, solarisation that was so visible on the Tiny plasma.
    It sounds strange but some nights I can be sitting watching something and quietly saying to myself how much I love this TV and on other nights I may be watching sport, which can be awful on times and then thinking to myself I wish I had returned it for something else. But then again, for large screen entertainment what are the alternatives at the price we paid for the Sagem.
    It seems that certain people on this forum are saying that the picture on the 50" is better than the 45" yet if you look at the spec of the 45" against the 50" on paper, the 45" should be far better.
    The sad thing about this is that I used to own a 56" Toshiba Rear Projection TV which I left at my parents house because of its size. It is now 7 years old, has no screen burn, has never suffered with blurring, solarisation, etc and still gives a great picture. The only problem with it, is that it weighs over 300 pounds and is the size of a bus.
    How are you finding things with this TV, are you happy?

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    khanman
    the picture quality of the HD45 is not typical of a good DLP set which IMHO exceeds that of the best plasma's or any other type of large screen .

8. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the same problems with my HD45. As you say, it goes from great to awful in a split second and I'm not sure I can live with that.

Sagem were supposed to call today, but nothing. I'll take that as a sign of poor customer support.

I'd like to consider the Optoma, as this was originally a better option to the Sagem 50". But it's just too big for my living room. I already have a projector/5.1 setup in another room for watching movies, so this is purely for watching TV.... though that will change when Sky start doing HD.

9. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That was my mistake also.

Totally agree about the CRT point, I guess it must be down to the size and technology off the screens.
    There is a fix on the way, i was talking to the head of Sagem U.K Tech Support this afternoon, he is off to France tomorrow to be updated on the fix and the procedure to implement it, it is a software fix.
    I also told him of my experiance with the frosty screen issue that some of us are experiencing, it was the first he had heard of it, i took some photos and e-mailed them to him, he is going to look at them in France and depending on his view, i believe he will bring it up with the engineers, atleast that is what he said.
    Exactly how i keep feeling, that is why when i discussed the issues at great length today with the guy from Sagem, i decided to get his help in getting Comet to agree to take it back, he kindly E-mailed me the info i need to prove to Comet that the set is faulty,and that in his view Sagem will exept it back as faulty goods.
    True, at the moment i am sick of looking to be honest, but i guess i wil have to, as i have no other T.V.

Makes you wonder what went so wrong.

Think ^^^ says it all really.

10. khanman

khanman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philip

When did you take delivery of your tv? I may also contact Sagem Technical to discuss problems I am having with the blurring, etc. I bought mine through plasma-television.co.uk about 6 weeks ago..

11. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took delivery last wednesday afternoon.

12. pwrslide

pwrslide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still waiting for sagem to callback 3 days now

13. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Your be lucky, I waited 2 Weeks.

14. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had my HD-D45 for a couple of weeks now and have had no end of problems, especially on dvd playback.

Have found out that approx 60 units were sent out with fauts from Sagem!!
    If your units were one of the first to leave the production line they will be faulty - check the production date if you can and insist on a replacement.
    I am awaiting my replacement set which I am assured will not be faulty and SHOULD be perfect. I wont ber holding my breath but I am for now giving them the benefit of the doubt. I purchased my unit from AVWOW and the customer services manager there has bent over backwards to fight my corner and has secured my replacement!
    Watch this space.

Chris :confused:

15. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,467
    What sort of faults? Ones that would explain the symptoms we're seeing i.e blurring etc?

Cheers
    Andy

16. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I called Sagem this morning and gave them my serial number. An engineer will call me tomorrow apparently. If they don't call by 12, I will be calling them.

Interesting that they have acknowledged a fault in the early batch. The only problem they seemed to be aware of was the green tinge via component.... but then the engineers might know more!

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Riva the set i saw in Comets only arrived last week & it had faults

18. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, my experience with Sagem has been that you need to keep at them, i have never had them call back when they said.
    You will get what you want, so just be patient.

19. talcy

talcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ive had the set for 3weeks now, and have to say that i dont have any faults what so ever with bluring, skin tones or panning shots. everything looks stunning, even eastenders and corrie. Watched all 3 lord of the rings on the weekend and was totally blown away. Even the higher channels on sky, and ive tried most dont give any problems. have seen 1 rainbow and that was on the extream channel on mx jumping and it was the croud in the back ground where i saw it, so i have to say im over the moon with it. shame everyone wasnt having sucess, because she is a stunning set. oh and the frosting screen isnt an issue have used dvd esentials and its carmed right down.

20. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,467
    If we can get confirmation that there is a problem with at least some sets that they know about and that would cause the solarisation/banding/graininess that I've experienced then that would be a major step forward. Perhaps if that lot was sorted out I'd consider keeping it! Just need to decide whether the frostiness is a showstopper or not then...

Cheers,
    Andy.

21. Paully01

Paully01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Riva I have had my HD-D45 since 5th Feb & to be honest have been very happy with PQ had few problems with sky but that turned out to be a faulty sky box, DVD's are excellent via DVI with Samsung HD745, however I have lately started to see some solarisation /oil painting effect of faces, but the detail on rest of picture still looks great? I believe lot of problems seem to be down to the quality of the broadcast. I especially find E4 bad. But I also purchased mine from AVWOW & was one of their first customers, so would be interested to know your production date so I can check against my own

22. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got back from Comet's where i looked at the Sagem 45 & Tosh 46 with a DVD source scart lead, film was Matrix Reloaded a fight scene in daylight.
    The Tosh was awfull worst thing by far was peoples faces i can see why people talk of an oil painting effect i would say bland & shiny no contrast. The Sagem had easily the better picture but it was still bad it was the same faults as the Tosh but to a lesser degree. I could not live with either set.
    I tried playing around with the user settings onthe Sagem but that only made it worse.
    Can you really get used to faces looking like that?

23. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I for one could not, and after getting my card refunded by Comet today i will not have to.

Have to decide what to get now, the other half does not like the Sammy 50, we both like the Optoma RD50, what else is there we could consider.

24. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  25. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knocked up a picture in Photoshop it's not quite right but should give some idea i'll let you guess which picture has been altered.

Just saw the photo's even the first photo shows some of the effect i did not intend this it was the result of too much compression the first photo should have been sharper

Attached Files:

26. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It when the image blurs and blends together. I tend to see them on flesh tones with close ups that are out of focus in the near ground or panning. Or is that just me??

27. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,467
    But is it caused by a fault or is this set always going to be plagued with this problem, that's what I'm trying to work out.... are the only DLP sets that don't suffer from this issue the likes of the Optoma RD50 and the Sammy 50" then? Oh and the Sagem 50" I presume...

Andy

28. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats what I meant when I said the picture is "overcontrasted".........

whites and blacks lack detail. a liitle bit oversaturated?

and there is a loss of detail considering the resolution?

am I right?

or does oil painting effect just mean the picture is not sharp?

29. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched 30 mins of high def material on the Sagem 45 they were using a high def DVD player they had a much wider range of material & the demo's ran for longer than they did when i saw it last Saturday, at times the picture was good & the frosty effect seemed to go away but blue skies or anything white shows it. I saw one face in the formula one demo that was ok every other face i saw lacked detail & was bland & shiny.Playing a DVD the blacks did not show any detail & any close up of faces looked unatural.
    The hidef material whites tended to burn out similar to the sagem 50 but overall the 50" was much better.

30. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi fi i would not say oversatuarated more under as there is some loss of colour detail colours look wrong.
    There is definatley a big loss of detail in the faces compared to the rest of the picture.
    I have never seen faces as bad on the worst programe on telewest on my RD50