"Tinkering" with a broken Pro-Ject Debut TT

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by darnweight, Feb 10, 2009.

1. darnweight

darnweight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Here's my situation. A few days back, a sudden electrical burning smell in my living room was carefully sniffed out to be coming from my Pro-Ject turntable. It's the 'original' Debut model (the 'I', I guess) with the in-built phono stage and speed box. After some panicky unplugging, I tried it again and found it was spinning up OK, but just wasn't pushing anything out to my amp. "The phono preamp's fried", I thought. So...

Located the nearest Pro-Ject dealer (rhymes with Shmevenoaks) and they said they'd have their guy look at it for a small charge to see if it could be fixed without returning it to Pro-Ject. A few days later, I get a call back from them. "The phono preamp's fried", he says, "It'll have to go back to Pro-Ject". The cost to replace it? Well the replacement board comes in at nearly £80, so I can't realistically see me getting much change from a ton. Not happy! Now, Mr Fixit at the dealer says he can bypass the preamp stage for me for (guessed yet?) another small charge. So, again...

A bit peeved at all this unforseen expense (the TT has had only mild use for the five or so years I've had it) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? Is it easy enough, say, for an idiot like me to take a soldering iron to this TT and bypass the preamp stage myself?

Just FYI, my amp has no phono stage so I'd be looking at either buying a cheap phono preamp, or trading in my amp (Denon PMA-255UK) and getting something with a phono stage built in. Whatever option, I'm looking to spend as little as possible without going the "unwarranted upgrade" route.

Anyways, sorry for rambling, and thanks in advance for any advice.

2. MikeFaulkner

MikeFaulkner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Well without seeing the inside of your TT i would imagine the easiest way is to locate the pre amb board and trace the wires coming from the arm to the pre amp. Identify which is which (L/R +/-) and solder to some phono sockets. You could then connect to an outboard pre amp. I did somethind similar to my Pro-ject. I didn't like the quality of the captured phono lead, so i installed phono plugs and ran to a Pro-ject pre amp. Simple job.

Good luck

Mike