Tin Star Season 2 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Cas ... but I will take some convincing to watch this.

I persevered through season 1 & felt it was a total letdown. The whole thing just felt very drawn out and unfulfilling to me.

I do like Roth as an actor but I just didn’t click with season 1 at all.

Coming off the back of a binge watch of The Punisher I’ve struggled to get enthusiastic about this one. Sky’s temporary inability to make the UHD version available didn’t help either.
I was always going to watch it eventually though and a score of 7/10 means that will be sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the review.

I dragged myself through most of S1 desperately wanting to like it for the sake of Tim Roth. I’m surprised this got renewed.

Thanks for the review Cas...:smashin:
I also struggled to get through Season one and don't think I can bring myself to do another season. Actually surprised it even got a second...:censored:

Im the same. I didn't even make it through Season 1. I actually think as an actor he is highly overrated personally. The best thing he ever had a hand in was The War Zone which he directed, and to say this was a challenging piece of work, would be putting it mildly.

I must be in the minority in thinking Season 1 was great - only watched it recently via More 4 as missed it on Sky. Looking forward to season 2!

I too liked season one. Episode 5 has one of the best lead ups to and fight scenes in anything.
This will go on later tonight and I'm cautiously optimistic. No doubt there'll be some mental game play here and the odd duff scene or episode but I'll persevere for the moments of greatness.
Roth was excellent in the little seen but hard hitting Chronic.

We liked Season 1 and were looking forward to Season 2. But there’s nothing driving the plot, and it’s gone so bonkers that it makes Killing Eve look like an oasis of sanity.

Tim Roth has got past Jim, and now even seems to be getting past Jack, to an older (I won’t say more grown-up) Trevor from his debut film, Made In Britain.

We’ll stick with it for a bit - perhaps to find out why Christina Hendricks is in it still - but the jury is decidedly out on this one.

Thanks Cas. Really liked Tim Roth in all his roles, so at least need to watch an episode of Season 1 and go from there

Is this a serial or procedural? If it's the former, I must give it a go. Procedurals have had their day for me.

Is this a serial or procedural? If it's the former, I must give it a go. Procedurals have had their day for me.

Serial. It's all one big fat story. I think Roth was disdained with procedurals following Lie to Me, and only agreed to do this because it was different.

Serial. It's all one big fat story. I think Roth was disdained with procedurals following Lie to Me, and only agreed to do this because it was different.

I'll add it to the list, cheers Cas!!

Saw it. Liked it overall. Not half as mental as season one, in that it takes far fewer risks with Jack-in-the-box more. It felt a bit slow to get going and as if waiting for Jack to appear more to help things along.
The daughter took on the mantel of most annoying character with her incessant you have to do this or that. John Lynch scores the actor with the most floating accent award.
There's still some inventive writing and funny/quirky scenes. For example, the females in the Mennonite Colony did some stellar paint work. And the bar scene with Genevieve taking charge with Tim is magic.
It rounded the circle on much of the story but still left a hefty foot-in-the-door. Sky jumped in quick for a second season and I'd like more but be amazed if it scored another outing. Although, perhaps they'll do a Fortitude with a mini or even TVM...

Series 2 has got silly, well more silly than the first. Yes enjoying it to a certain extent but it has got to point of zero reality.

I'll get through it only got two episodes to go I think but it is a bit like Fortitude series 3.

Series 2 has got silly, well more silly than the first. Yes enjoying it to a certain extent but it has got to point of zero reality.

I'll get through it only got two episodes to go I think but it is a bit like Fortitude series 3.
More silly? Are you sure you saw season one of Tin Star?

More silly? Are you sure you saw season one of Tin Star?

Yeah just my take, least we had a reason with booze for behaviour in the first series. Apparently in this new series you can go around and shoot anything from day to day and no one is really bothered. Never mind the guy who is still waiting for his cab back.

Never mind the guy who is still waiting for his cab back.
Season two simply carried on the grief and threat to all and so explained the continuing boozing and behaviour. The other cops were out of their depth but only Denise realized it and let Jack do what he wanted assuming reasoning behind it as he never harmed/killed the innocent.
But you're right, the cabbie was a jumping the shark moment.
This show requires suspension of belief and Sherlock Holmes' analysis.

add me to the "only in it for Roth" crowd for season 1 ~ i loved "Lie To Me", liked him since "Made in Britain" and "Heart of Darkness" etc ~ and it started good but the plotting just got stupid. i flat out refuse to believe the daughter still loving the baddy etc after finding out he was the one who shot her baby brother. other stuff like the office bug just got dropped.

I quite enjoyed season 2, thought the Daughter was annoying, Eric Cantona was good in it though

By the way, if anyone wants a good sleeper of a Roth film check out "Gridlock'd", little gem of a film, seems kinda forgotten.

I massively agree with this. I liked a realistic approach the first season seemed to have but some bits are just over the top and silly.
I stopped watching at the point *spoiler*
The family start practicing shooting each other in bulletproof vests for a comical scene.

Liked season one really good, but this season is completely over the top with the way he is going around doing what he wants. roth is not very good at the hard man roll and they should have left it end on season one..

regards o..

yikes, how did I miss this one, hammered season one over the weekend, hope season two is even half as good.

whiskey popeye meets the equalizer...

All good fun but the ending was a bit of a let down, it was like:

WRITER (A):

"ok, we did the big inevitable fight scene, what shall we do now?, there are loads of plot holes we could get into whilst setting up the third season"...

WRITER (B):

"no lets just have him walk around for a bit and look at things"

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom