Tim's 7.24TB "Tiddler" Unraid NAS.

Am I right in thinking that the free unRAID version only supports three data drives?

5 I believe

correction

you are correct
Code:
Feature	Basic	Plus	Pro
Maximum Array Width 	3	6	21
Cache Drive supported	No	Yes	Yes
User Level Security (see note)	No	Yes	Yes
Active Directory	No	No	Yes

Hi Tim,

I'm also going down this route as i've been put off by the price of Synology and QNAP, plus the opportunity to tinker is always good.

For info the the memory is made by Hynix HMT112U7BFR8C-H9 it is DDR 3 & is unbuffered but REGISTERED I've read that this server will also take unregistered DIMM's provided you do not mix.
[/URL]

Re the memory, i've read similar regarding the unregistered modules, does that mean i can install something along these lines: -

Kingston Memory Modules

Have you thought any more about your cache drive, or not that fussed?

Cheers, Dan

Are crescent an HP authorised reseller (in other words, have you got your rebate ok?!)

Hi Tim,

I'm also going down this route as i've been put off by the price of Synology and QNAP, plus the opportunity to tinker is always good.

Re the memory, i've read similar regarding the unregistered modules, does that mean i can install something along these lines: -

Kingston Memory Modules

Have you thought any more about your cache drive, or not that fussed?

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,
You will have to some research on the memory i deffo read that you can use unregistered memory somewhere but didn't bookmark it.
With regards to the cache drive the jury's still out for me seems a lot of faffing about for not a lot of gain.
Tim.

Last edited:
Are crescent an HP authorised reseller (in other words, have you got your rebate ok?!)

I thought this because there is no mention of the cashback on the website:confused: but all is OK i received my confirmation email from HP earlier this week:smashin: just got to wait up to 28 days.
Tim.

Thanks Tim! I guess as long as the SN shows supplied to a legit channel in the UK they will honour the cashback. They probably all go through distribution anyway rather than direct from HP.

Found them in stock couple other places where they I already have an account for £15-£20 more so have to decided if its worth the hassle for the saving.

A word of warning though i still see that retailers are still flogging off the old Microserver with a 160gb HDD this particular cashback ONLY applies to the new Microserver with the 250gb HDD or HP part # 633724-421
HP ProLiant Microserver

Last edited:
Order placed with Crescent, if my wife comes looking for you deny everything!

(Cresent confirmed by email they were an authorised partner)

Tempted myself.....

Can you imagine a storage cluster made of a few of these, optionally with another 1Gbps NIC (or even a dual-port Gbps NIC)? Mmm, tasty! I'm not helping your restraint, am I? :D

Last edited:
Hmm, cresent not such a great deal when you find out "free delivery" is only 7 day delivery, and they add 1.5% to your credit card bill! Still, slightly cheaper than eBuyer that was other option at £139 free 5 day delivery.

Hmm, cresent not such a great deal when you find out "free delivery" is only 7 day delivery, and they add 1.5% to your credit card bill! Still, slightly cheaper than eBuyer that was other option at £139 free 5 day delivery.

Yes i forgot about the "free" delivery i paid for next day myself, still cheap though. To get my build running it has cost me £608 minus my cashback = £508 all in :) happy days!

Can you imagine a storage cluster made of a few of these, optionally with another 1Gbps NIC (or even a dual-port Gbps NIC)? Mmm, tasty! I'm not helping your restraint, am I? :D

No matey, but then again i'm bsically a weak person:D

Trying to update the bios on mine that just arrived today, even though I ordered from Cresent on the 11th March and was charged on the 12th.

Anyway, everytime I boot from the memory stick it just says:

Block
---------------------------------------------------------------

And the screen just has loads of lines and it hangs and does nothing till I kill the power, pressing a key on the keyboard just makes a blank line appear, any ideas it's so annoying?

With the memory stick removed does it still boot & can you get into the BIOS?
Did you follow the BIOS update instructions to the letter?

Yeah, got it working, was a really stupid mistake, half the screen was off to the left (but coincidently lined up perfectly to the text so you couldn't tell), so I was missing the C:/ prompt etc. Changed monitor and have done it haha.

Thanks.

Jeez...mate you're so lucky, phew
Please can you confirm everythings flashed ok does the BIOS look like mine now?
Tim.

Right I've enabled my parity drive now....it's just finished & it took 817 minutes :)

Yeah I paid the £6 for next day, ordered well before cut off so expect it in the office tomorrow.

Nice work Tim. I've followed this here and original Unraid build.

Just a quick question as this is all very new to me.

With regard to e-sata - sata lead you installed for future cache drive. Does that require sata power connector too? If so this will be needed instead of the one supplied with the icy dock box.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Jeez...mate you're so lucky, phew
Please can you confirm everythings flashed ok does the BIOS look like mine now?
Tim.

Yeah looks same as yours except I'm running the newer bios from January. Thanks for the guide and help.

I'm just messing around with my server until the final version of WHS2011 is out. Have the RC here to play with.

Or not, it says I need 2GB ram to use it, I thought it would still install, oh well, will order more ram now.

NM Got round the requirement!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom