TimH screen question - why not grey?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ROne, Mar 4, 2002.

1. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    TimH, you are usaing a Matt white screen right?

Do you find the blacks and contrast okay with this screen, reason I ask is we have generally consigned to the grey screen theory (or grey wall) with our projectors.

Was it a concious decision not go grey?

Thanks

tyrone.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Rone

Yes, I am using a matt white screen.
    A grey screen would have been great, but I was not prepared to spend more on the screen, as what I spent on the Projector.
    I find the contrast isn't to bad with the PT, I even found that Pitch Black region 1 was watchable. I now need to get my walls darker, to reduce reflection's. My Brother has a converted Garage painted dark blue, you would be surprised what a differance this made to the contrast.
    I would also like to try the Hoya HMC FL-D filter, this is supposed to reduce the colour green for room's with Flourescent lighting, but is also supposed to improve contrast. I am waiting for someone in the UK to try this out, Iv'e spent enough recently ;)

My Brother went the MDF route, icestorm 5 & 6 mixed, this deffinetly work's at improving black's, but it wasn't for me, as I am using the lounge and the Mrs would draw a line at a big piece of MDf on the wall.

3. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I see your logic, screen as much as projector - wooh!

I have my own room painted completely blue, ceiling, skirts, coving etc and it massively reduces spill.

Your screen looked decent though - that's what got my interest. I have been using the icestorm method now for about 9 months and its spot on but just doesn't look as flash as a screen.

I should hope to see a panasonic this week and if its better than my toshiba mt-7 I will probably look at getting one! Ofcourse more the fool am I spending nearly £4000 on a projector only to be caught out with a better and lot cheaper one around the corner.

Incidenatally i'm thinking of taking the lecson back.. and sticking with my HCPC.

cheers.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Rone

I doubt that the Panny will be as good as the MT-7, I believe the Tosh has a better resolution panel, is this true?
    Let me know what you do with the Lecson.
    I will stick with it for now, I am still waiting for my componant lead's, they should be here Wednesday, then more progressive testing and I will see if I can put up with the streaking.

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,106
    a quick question guys..
    is Icestorm a paint colour (probably silly question), but I'm getting ready to move into a converted garage and wouldn;t mind trying the MDF grey route..

6. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yep, it's a Dulux paint mix - Just go into a B&Q, find the paint mixing machine, and ask a member of staff for a tub of ICESTORM 5 Matt - any size you like! I used 2 sample tins @ £1.98 each

7. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,106
    thanks mate..I'm in there tomorrow..:)

8. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Punce

Sometime ago you asked me about the icestorm paint, now that you've had a go yourself is it what you expected and are you happy with the colours?

9. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I haven't actually received my Projector yet, so I haven't tested it out yet.

If you want to see pics of my screen, as it is at the moment, with no borders, then check them out on the "MDF/ICESTORM cheap route" thread