Timeslip button/Pause live TV..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sjw, Oct 25, 2005.

1. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I've got the new Panny EH60D and think it's great.
    When would you use the timeslip button though? It shows a sort of picture-in-picture but when would you use it? If you're recording anything you can just push play and watch the program from the beginning anyway. Is it just for when you're recording and to step back a bit?

Also, 'Pause live TV' is a feature often seen in the description of HDD recorders - including this one. It doesn't really do it does it? Unless you're already recording and then play it and then pause.

Does the Sony 910 (or lower even) do this in the true sense of it - like Sky+?

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    Correct. It is for start watching a recording before it has finished recording.

I have never seen Panny recorder described as pause live TV. The way you pause is what you have said and that is not live. Pausing Live TV is when the recorder is continously filling a buffer. So, you are watching TV (not recording) and press pause. The recorder will carry on filling the buffer until the maximum time allowed is reached when the buffer is full. It then goes over what is already in the buffer. Some recorder can only pause live TV for 5-10 minutes.

3. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    But you can just push play while it's recording and that starts to play before it's finished so am just a bit confused as to when I'd use the Timeslip button.

See key features - http://www.currys.co.uk/product.php?sku=988518 for a quick example of the wrong description.

The Sony seems to do exactly that though - Page 58 of this - http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/2649711011.pdf and by various descriptions (wrong obviously..) assumed the Panny did this too.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    For that reason. If you are recording 2 hours of something. You don't need to wait until it has finished before you start watching it. You end up saving time.

It is not the first time Dixons get something wrong.

5. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    But when you push Play while recording, it plays and carries on recording - you don't need to wait until it's finished.

6. mj23

mj23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Pause live TV' means that the recorder is constantly buffering the channel that you are watching through the built-in tunner(in some models it buffers even the AV channel), you dont have to start recording manualy. So while you are watching live tv broadcast, you want to go get something to drink or answer a call, you just push 'Pause live TV' without thinking on which channel you are, or how to set recording. After you return you just push play and you start from where you left.
    The good thing in buffering is that also when you enter the room and see that the event you want to watch started 15min earlier you just rewind and start watching from the begining (a fotoball game for example).

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    That was I just said.

And that is what I just said.

8. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    lol, getting confusing.
    What was? What I'm trying to say is..
    If I'm recording, a program and it's been recording for 20 minutes, I can simply push play and it will start playing the program from the beginning while still recording. That is what I do. I know it saves time because I don't have to wait until the end of the program. That's what I said originally and you have said " For that reason" or "that's what I said". But I'm not asking about that - when/why would you push the button called Timeslip?

Ré the definition of 'pause live tv', again, I know what it is - I originally said "like Sky +". I know how great it is and when seeing in loads of places that the new Pannys had this against their description, I thought they did it. After all, like you say, it's only buffering it to the HDD anyway. All I said (and linked to) was that the Sony recorders DO seem to offer this function.