Timeslip and DVD Recorder Buying Advice

T

The Floorwalker

I've been looking to buy a DVD Recorder for a few weeks now and I've been gathering information from this excellent forum since my knowledge of such things is very limited.

However.....

One of the main criteria for me is the 'timeslip' function. Currently I have a freeview box with a built in hard drive and I am able to 'rewind live TV' so that for example, if I came in during a footy match on ITV1 and the freeview box was on ITV1, then I would be able to rewind to the start of the match since the hard drive automatically stores the last few hours of programmes.

My question is....does timeslip do this or can you only pause and catch up live tv rather than rewinding it ?

Also....I have narrowed my shortlist down to the following:

TOSHIBA RD85DT
TOSHIBA RD-XS24
TOSHIBA RD-XS32
PANASONIC DMR-EX85
PANASONIC DMR-EH50

The Toshiba RD85DT is probably the one that I am most swaying to at the moment. It has the essential criteria for me (timeslip/HDD/Freeview), the only negative is that it doesn't support many DVD types but I don't think this would be much of a problem. Also I noticed that someone mentioned it has just received a 'best buy' award in one of the magazines.

Any comments/thoughts greatly appreciated...

I cant comment on any of the machines here other than the EX85.
There is a debate running in another thread {q.v.} about what exactly Timeslip is doing in the new range of Panasonics.

AFAIK The 85 does not automatically buffer whatever channel it is switched to. In the scenario you describe of wanting to watch a programme from the start that is currently in the middle, it would be possible with the EX85 provided you are recording it.

The tosh xs32 does 'buffer' using timeslip... :thumbsup:

- and I have found some panasonics, while calling a button 'timeslip' , it does not do this!! (check your manual carefully!!)

I agree, the Tosh 32 has the "Perfect" example of how Timeslip should perform. Not all DVD recorders "timeslip" function work the same way though.

Regards
knotpc

Many Thanks for the replies - this is exactly the kind of information I was after :)

I'm now looking to be going down the TOSHIBA route due to the 'timeslip' working in the way I need it to (I'm assuming the buffering is done automatically rather than activating it ?).

Also I was wondering if subsequent models after the XS32 also have timeslip working in the same way. The RD85DT seems to have everything I need so if anyone can confirm that timeslip works in the same way, I think I will opt for this one.

The Panasonics were on the shortlist because they seemed to be simpler to record from and were more user friendly than the TOSHIBAs but the operation of the timeslip function is steering me away from these now

Once again, any help greatly appreciated.....

The Floorwalker said:
My question is....does timeslip do this or can you only pause and catch up live tv rather than rewinding it ?

The Floorwalker,
You can only rewind what you have recorded.
So if you record a film and get interupted you can go back to where you stopped watching while still continuing to record.
If you are not recording there is no facility to go back in time on the channel it has been left on like your Freeview box.
Also I was wondering if subsequent models after the XS32 also have timeslip working in the same way.
The Tosh 34 has, but I was told the Tosh 24 doesn't.

The Floorwalker: please download the manual and do your research before guessing... It will save alot of anguish later!! :thumbsup:

- timeslip is not 'always on' - you have to press the button!! (certain operations are not possible while you are recording...)

Thanks for that Foneman - very helpful :)

Anyway it looks like it is possible after all....the following is taken from elsewhere on the forum.....

Philips HDRW720.

This is a PVR/DVD+R/RW recorder combo. It uses Guide+ EPG, records to HDD the moment you turn on the unit (1-6 hour user defined buffer size). It has the ability to "save" what's already on the buffer and the buffer is not lost when changing channels. It also has the usual PVR functions like pause, instant replay (user defined increments), and quick skip (user defined increments).

The previous text was copied from an archived area of this forum which I found via google. I have also seen similar advise elsewhere on this forum.

Having done even more research I'm afraid the water is getting even cloudier !! :)

Basically (and I stand to be corrected).....

Philips are the only make who provide this 'constant buffering' from the moment the machine is switched on (ie no user intervention). I have done some fairly extensive research on this matter and it seems that Philips is the only make so I was looking at going down this avenue - then I looked at the reviews :thumbsdow

I'm afraid the reviews of these Philips DVD recorders are mixed at best (more negatives than positives from what I've seen). Now I'm in a situation where I'm thinking of postponing buying until other DVD recorders appear on the market with the 'constant buffering' feature (which have good reviews).

If anyone has any more information on this matter I would be interested to read it - I've been going around in circles !! :D

yes, this is always the problem... One good feature, but the rest is just no good at all... :(

and I dont hold much hope for the market...there are not enough rich enthusiasts about, as there is for Hi Fi...
The companies are forced to produce cheap DVDRs and Divx players, as that is all they seem to want... I think it will not be untill 2010, when the switch off will mean people will *need* good recievers...

Looks like I'm going to have to go for the standard 'timeslip' DVD recorder function after all then !!

I'm looking at getting the Toshiba 37WLT66 tv and using a telwest cable box.

I'm now swaying towards the Panasonic EX85 - I've read a few good reviews and it also looks easy to use (which is important !).

Will the Panasonic be ok with the setup I have described ? I noticed that Dixons online have this TV and DVD recorder at quite competitive prices - I wonder if I'd be able to pick them up at my local shop or whether they'd be home delivery only. Does anyone have any info on these and possible waiting times on delivery if I can't pick them up ?

thanks in advance..:)

Just had time for a bit more investigation and have now discovered a possible option....

JVC DR-MH300....

this appears to have everything that I was after (apart from freeview). The main function being that it has a constant 3 hour buffer which is what I was after. It also has pretty good reviews. The only negatives I can see is that the unit is seen to be noisy by some reviewers. Can anyone advise further as to how bad it is ?

Regarding the lack of freeview....I assume this wouldn't be much of an issue for me using a setup of TV with built in freeview and a Telewest Cable box.
Would I be right in saying that freeview on the DVD recorder isn't necessary with the setup described ?

Apologies for any dumb questions but this is all VERY new to me. :)

It all depends on how much money you want to spend on it... I know a lot of people with 'very cheap' recievers will most likely have to buy a new one, due to new techniques, and frequencies!!

I would say that TW cable would be far more reliable than the rest - not prone to software problems, like freeview, not prone to signal disappearing during bad weather, like sattelite ,SKY... the only other factor is your personal taste... :thumbsup:

Another thing I am looking into is TV by Phone - Homechoice will give you most of these channels, and 8Meg 'net as well!

good news is that tiscali is taking over homechoice, giving it's customers more coverage, and tiscali an already working IPTV system...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom