timeshift

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rossdagley, Jan 14, 2008.

1. rossdagley

rossdagley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi guys. I'm looking for the cheapest solution to output video with a 2 minute timeshift. All this device has to do is playback a 2 minute delay 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It needs some form of input obviously (not scart preferably but composite ideally), and (presuming it's a HDD solution) I'd ideally like it so it can record over its oldest recording without prompt.

I've experience with setting up a Sony HDD recorder for another purpose I had, and one of the features that it dodn't have that irritates me is once the hard disk is full, it stops recording. there's not an option somewhere to simply overwrite the oldest recording. So if the "new" solution can do this, I'll be well happy.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm currently looking at the Sony RDR-HX725 at £200. If anyone knows of a cheaper solution, I'm all ears! Timeshift is the feature i have to have - everything else is secondary.

Cheers!

Ross

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,553
    I can't see a consumer DVDR having this facility and suggest you have a look at HDD security recorders...do a Google search for "HDD Security Recorders".

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,061
    I agree with Jaycee's appraisal... but Ross - What is it you are monitoring on a 2 minute history?

4. rossdagley

rossdagley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hey :) The HDD recorder i mentioned has the ability to record from an AV input, and play it back 2 minutes later on a continuous way on another output - you just have to stop the recordings every evening and start 'em every morning. That's the only "pain" of the system. That and I'd have to "clear out" all the recordings every few days I guess.

I know Panasonic used to do a HDD recorder that could also do this - I was hoping someone else might have an idea of how to achieve this.

http://www.ovation.co.uk/DelayLine/DelayLine.html is the other solution - but at £2000 for a 2 minute delay, it's a bit expensive for my needs!

5. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    If it's for cctv then you can get recorders that just record on to sd-cards at lower compression.

No dvd recorder will record for 24hrs, most stop at 12hrs.

Cause it will stop if the hdd runs out of space, it records a program for you to watch later.

Look at Maplin electronics, they have some good cctv gear.

What are you using it for? security?

I use a low end pc, rigged up to cctv that only triggers if someone walks past the camera.

When I get home, it will tell me how many alerts I have had, If it is zero then nothing is recorded.

There is no point in recording for 24hrs if all you are recording is the same static image. It only records when an event is triggered then switches off seconds later.

6. rossdagley

rossdagley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah yes, forgot to say what i was recording. Doh!

Its for review of the technique of a sport - you perform the action, then review it two minutes later whilst you have a break, then try again two minutes later, then review etc. etc. The system needs to be able to record from (say) 7am to (say) midnight. Even if the drive was formatted every day, it wouldn't matter. The kicker is being able to review (in reasonable quality) what you've just done.

7. ravingdave

ravingdave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Surely a fixed 2 minute recorded buffer would be a bit of a constraint on the review process. If it simply has a two minute delay, then you can only review your action exactly two minutes after you did it, with no option to pause, rewind, call the coach over for a 2nd / 3rd look etc. Wouldn't it be easier to just press the record button - perform the action - press stop record. Then you can replay whenever you want to, whenever your break is. It can also be played many times, paused, played in slow motion etc, and if needed kept for future reference. Most HDD recorders will also allow you to play and record at the same time, so someone else can be recording their performance, whilst another athelete is reviewing a previous action.

I'd be interested to know what sport requires training from 7am to midnight every day - 17 hours of training per day?

8. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    we might have a better chance of a handful of medals at the next olympics if more athletes trained for 17 hours a day... ;)