Timeshift / Pause Live TV on 2021 Sony Android TV's

oblongOOblinkers

Standard Member
Does anyone know if Sony have implemented the timeshift feature on their 2021 models yet so we can pause live tv.

Specifically interested in a80j and a90j.

If yes or no, which platform ( freeview, freesat or sony's own implementation )

If no to all, does anyone know if they plan to introduce it ever ?

Thanks

pummra

No as of yet. I don't know if when the YouView app becomes available that might bring it, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

I was really disappointed to find the TV didn't have it.

What you can do is start recording the show you are watching and then watch the recording which will allow you to timeshift, but obviously not an ideal solution.

boblo

Does anyone know if Sony have implemented the timeshift feature on their 2021 models yet so we can pause live tv.

Specifically interested in a80j and a90j.

If yes or no, which platform ( freeview, freesat or sony's own implementation )

If no to all, does anyone know if they plan to introduce it ever ?

Thanks
I think that Panasonic TVs can record and pause live TV and even have the timeshift feature. They have the My Home Screen operating system. Models of this year with this OS are, for example, JZ1500 and JZ2000. Hope this helps.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Quite unbelievable really that Sony don't have this feature.

As far as I know EVERY other tv brand supports this.
Personally, I have a Manhattan T3-R dedicated Freeview Play 1TB Recording box. When I had my Sony 55 XF9005 I did have a 500GB external USB HDD connected for recording programmes to from the built-in Freeview HD. I never missed or even felt I needed the ability to timeshift. On the odd occasion that maybe I did, as another user above suggested, I would just press the record button on the remote and then pause 'watching' the live recording. The downside of simply using a USB HDD connected to the tv is that the recordings are only valid when connected to that TV. So if (like mine did) the TV gets damaged, all of your recordings become useless.

Also, many people have external PVR boxes for broadcast TV content (although I acknowledge that these days that could actually be the minority). It's also true that a lot of people simply use catch up TV services or on demand streaming platforms to consume their entertainment.

oblongOOblinkers

Standard Member
I use timeshift all the time at the moment on my lg tv.

I hardly ever record anything, but I am always rewinding live tv to listen to something i didn't hear properly or to watch something again ( like a tackle ) and then quickly fast forward back to the live broadcast.

Starting a recording and then going to recordings and then playing the recording and then pressing pause is ridiculous, and actually won't work for rewinding to hear something you missed or to see a tackle again because it will have only been recording after what you missed is already gone.

And I also just read that 2021 Sony's don't have any catch up apps either.

This has seriously got me considering cancelling my order and going with a philips.

Thanks for the suggestions though everyone.

I am absolutely disgusted to find that the Sony TV I just bought does not allow me to pause or rewind live tv.
I had a cheap old LG tv for the last 4 years that had that feature and I used it all the time.
I splashed out on my 'dream' lockdown telly .. the KD-55XH9005... and the stupid thing can't do things that I would consider to be basic.
I am raging.. I should have gone with the Samsung for €300 less !!

AND the recording function is pants as well.. I had the recording set for the match today.. and when I got home 10 mins after kick-off and tried to watch the recording from the start.. the stupid thing just presented me with a black screen and wouldn't show ANY live tv at all until I actually unplugged it and restarted it.

This TV has digital and satellite tuners and just does not support people who actually use them. Sony are just assuming that everyone will have a sky box or cable tv and never use this crap.

If I could return this disappointing TV I would.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom