1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Times Up........for Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Pete Delaney, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Well I have had Sky+ and multiroom for nearly a year now and I have to say it's been largely a waste of money :eek:

I have paid over£40 per month and enjoyed watching channels like BBC1, ITV; basically the traditional terrestrial channels, ok Sky One is good but the rest are on Freeview. The movies are usually very old, by the time they come out you can get them for around £6 to £8 on DVD. I think I normally watch a film once every 6 to 8 weeks because I have normally seen the rest before :eek:

I think I would rather take a small loan at a monthly cost of around, yes you guessed it £40 and buy a hard disc recorder, a top spec freeview box and a HD ready LCD TV. All that would probably cost around £2000 (if I shop around enough). I can sell my current 28" JVC widescreen and mint condition Sanyo Z1 to help cover the cost. At least then I'll have something to show for my £40 per month :thumbsup:

So come end of Jan when my 12 months is up it's bye bye Sky :hiya: and hello new TV and Freeview :D

Just my 2 pence worth,

Pete.

Oh, while I'm on the soap box can you guys recommend the kit to go for, the TV has to be at least 32" widescreen and fully HDMI compatable....Ta! ;)

2. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
  3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    "Buy Now Pay Later - Cash price £499 - Total Repayable £840"

Some bargain :thumbsdow

4. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Bit confused....I'd buy it outright and would not take Dell's finance or buy now pay later scheme ;)

EDIT:

Just been on price runner, forget Dell!!! There are loads of high spec 37" models from around £1150 upwards.....fast response times (12ms and less) and HD inputs....I'm sold, can't wait for january sales :clap: :clap: :clap:

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It all depends on your viewing habits - Sky is a very costly way of watching movies, when you can watch as many as you want on DVD for £14.99 a month at Blockbuster

I would miss my Sky+ box. All the Freeview boxes I've seen have been annoyingly sluggish, and nothing matches the flexibility of Sky+ for me.

6. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I couldn’t agree more, at the end of this football season I will be banging Sky on the head, it just doesn’t offer value for money. I am really surprised about the number of people on this forum who have stated they wouldn’t mind paying £60+ per month for Sky HD! I for one will be going the Freeview route, I just can’t justify paying £40+ on Sky each month for a couple of channels that I may watch.

7. TrevP

TrevP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, SKY+ is worth every penny for me....have everything but movie package....wouldn't give it up...Freeview doesn't hold any interest for me whatsoever.

If you don't like it then nobody is forcing anyone to have it...and trying to convice everyone else that it is a waste of money is a lost cause. It is purely what every individual wants and is prepared to pay for.

8. gd2

gd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Everyone places different values to what they consider entertainment, be it PAY telly, cinema/theatre/pub or on a slightly different level days out and long holidays. We are all free to spend our disposable income on what we regard as be worthwhile, it should not come as a surprise that some people have different priorities than you:)

SKY+ HD for over £60 a month, well basic package of £42.50 with another tenner for multiroom and another tenner(?) for the HD sub kinda puts it into perspective. If you and your family make use what that money buys then it is good value or at least an acceptable cost:)

For those that don't think SKY (and other PAY services) are not upto scratch then the power is in their hands, cancel or don't subscribe in the first place and spend the money elsewhere. There has never been a time when there has been so much "free" telly if that is what you want and with mobile phones and internet costs sucking up huge amounts of cash there are millions of people that have to make a decision how they spread their money around.

After all PAY television is hardly a necessity:)

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    im happy with sky, but then i have a wide and varied viewing habit......and to be honest freeview didnt cut it, with topuptv i at least got UKTV Gold so i could watch some older comedies....lol...but paying nearly a tenner just for one useful channel was stupid, i'd rather pay 4 times the price but get 20 times the value for it.....

with sky i get to watch films that i dont feel like buying on DVD (mostly comedies and the suchlike, basically things that dont need to be in glorious 576p with full DTS surround...lol), i get lots simpsons, voyager, lots of documentaries that i've always been a fan of, various oddball shows like Takeshi, plus numerous other favourites like G2 where i can watch HIGNFY, TTIAO, QI and NMTBC....all in one sitting..heh
    with the features such as live pause, rewind etc to boot im more than happy....i have a cheap but decent Panasonic DRMES10 if i really do want to keep something when my HDD gets full on the Sky box.....
    I'm not someone who watches telly nonstop all the time, i spend quite a bit of time online as i play in a Clan in Counterstrike:Source on competitive ladders....i also go out after work with colleagues, pop to the cinema, go out for dinner etc....but for the times i do want to watch TV, at least i have something better than reality TV shows which seem to plague freeview!

oh, and i have refound my love for WWE.....(or WWF as it was 15 odd years ago when i used to watch it...lol)......oh im not stupid enough to think its all real and blah blah, im fully aware they have script writers and its mostly staged, the winner is already worked out before they get in the ring, half the moves will be rehearsed etc....
    but that doesnt stop it from being amusing to sit down and watch with a dinner and a few beers or bottle of wine........sometimes its nice to watch something pointless, i'd certainly rather watch it than reality TV shows.....dont mind the odd one but now they are just cloning them nonstop and the originality has gone......oh and in case anyone thinks im just uncultured hence my liking WWE, i am not, in fact music wise i listen mostly to classical/orchestral and bigband/jazz style stuff, i was part of a drama group that got a Fringe First award at Edinburgh festival, and i read books of all manner of genre on a daily basis.......variety, the spice of life ;-)

anyway, scuse the long post, its a sunday afternoon and im still trying to decide what to do later...lol

btw, im a little confused on that Dell LCD TV.....

With the included stand removed, Dell's 37" HD Ready LCD TV measures 35.84 x 21.75 x 4.41" (910 x 553.5 x 114.5mm) and delivers a luxurious 32.27" x 18.14" viewing area,

erm, so its a 37in TV with stand? without stand its almost 36in? and it has a luxurious viewing area thats only 32.5in?....lol.....im sure trade descriptions act should be bought in on that.......a CRT has a smaller visible area than the tube size yes, but LCDs work differently from that....

if you want to find personal reviews of it, try www.anandtech.com its a USA computer tech forum, if that model is available over there, i would imagine a few of them have bought one by now and would be able to tell you what its like...they seem to have endless reserves of cash for upgrading some of them...lol

11. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You do realise that you measure the diagonal, not the width or height don't you?

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    D'OH.....lol....musta had a brain spasm when i read the specs...

13. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could live with Freeview were it not for the sport on Sky. I like my Sky + but I could give it up if that was the only thing keeping me there.